Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#445117 08/24/12 05:20 PM
T
Taggard Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi all, I am new to the board and Belize....matter of fact I have not been there yet. I am starting to research retirement and have been reading a lot about Belize. I have also been e-mailing with a realtor about the Grand Belizean Estates and was wondering if anyone can tell me from personal experience, either with that development, or just living there if that might be a good investment? The lots are 21,000 at this time and the two he is suggesting are 277 and 278 on the subdivision map. Any information on that area would be greatly appreciated and any other info regarding retieming in Belize. Thank ahead of time!

As a frequent bike rider in Grand Belizean Estates, please be aware that there is no power or water infrastructure there yet, and who knows when it will be available. There is only one house there now, and (being kind), it is a home-built shack. The roads are very nice (for Belize), but I wouldn't be investing in real estate there myself, at least if I hoped to build in the next few years. I'd wait until there were actually homes there. A lot of folks think it is going to end up being a slum, so if you care at all what the neighbors' places look like, you might want to wait.

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
T
Taggard Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you for your reply and the information. My wife and I will hopefully be retiring in 10 years and are looking seriously at Belize as the place to live? We plan to come to Belize for a visit in a couple of years, probably in October or April, those are the two months we like to travel. I don't want to make a mistake on where to live or if we will purchase an existing home somewhere or build or rent?

I've been here for quite a few years and love it, but I'm in the diving business and love the sea. If it wasn't for that I'm not sure I would be satisfied with the island living.
Its a small town with lots of problems that I escape by being out in a boat or under the water. If not for those interests/escapes I don't think I would be here.
As for the GBE lots BeBelize is righton but more polite than I would describe it.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
T
Taggard Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Elbert, what is it you don't like about Belize, I have never been there and I might not like those things either. I have to find a spot to retire in that is inexpensive to live and still provides the things we will want and need from a country and or city?

My friend if you want inexpensive then I don't think Ambergris Caye is for you. It is true that if you are very careful and live like a Belizean you can live here for not too much money. This is true if you don't want or need air conditioning, reliable and cheap internet service, or any of a host of other things. One thing you should do for sure before you buy anything is move to where you think you want to live and rent for 3 or even better 6 months. While you are renting see what your cost of living actually is and if it is what you want. Whatever you do don't buy a piece of property in an undeveloped area that looks like a bargain - it won't be!
You may want to try the mainland where the cost of living is from my limited experience probably half of what it will be on Ambergris Caye. Lots of wonderful places to live.
I don't live there full time like Elbert and the others but have spent enough time there to know that I couldn't really live there full time. That's just me though and you may well feel it fits you well.
Good luck in your quest.

Captain One Iron
I do live here full time and love it but then I can enjoy luxory or funky. Right now I live funky. It is important to have interestes that can occupy your time and be within your budget or you will do one of several things 1) spend your days at a beach bar and die early, 2) read a book a day, 3) get mixed up with some shady characters or 4) go home or go mad.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
wink Great minds think alike. You took the words right out of my mouth......

:-) Don't we wish those that get mad and sour would go home earlier so we didn't have to listen to them whine and bitch for so long.
There is a little humorous line that is actually philosophical.
'Everywhere I go, there I am'.
Happiness is a choice; not something you move to.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
T
Taggard Offline OP
OP Offline
T
"CaptOneIron"..We are planning a trip down in a couple of years, and will probably take several trips prior to purchasing anything. We are just trying to gather as much information from those of you who have made the move and have the first hand knowledge of the country. Where do they live, what do they like about it or not like, what do people do to fill each day? I have a lot of questions and just need to get the conversation going.

"http://bebelize.weebly.com" is a great blog but it is my experience that you need several points of view to reach a decision. Thank you all for you input it is most welcome.

Last edited by Taggard; 08/26/12 06:16 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 147 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.