Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#473155 09/22/13 05:46 AM
OP Offline
Road north from town - bad puddles from the rains, but a particular stretch needs to be approached with greater caution than the rest. Behind Cocatil, just next to (north) of White Sands is a part of the road that is truly a very nasty slurry. Drivers have been going more over to the sides of many of the puddles to find shallower water. DON'T DO IT there. I veered over to the eastern side of the massive mud puddle and ended up almost rolling over as the right side of the cart went into what seemed a bottomless pit of liquified mud. Only the front left wheel had any solid dirt under it - the cart was at a dramatic angle and had there been a passenger adding weight to the right side of the cart I do believe we'd have rolled completely on the side and probably injured somebody. When you pass that area, go slow and go pretty much down the middle of the mess.
Fate was kind to me - two carts with helpful people were nearby when this happened. A wonderful, beautiful, and VERY STRONG woman lifted the back corner of my cart up, another motorist pushed and I did get out of there. It's really dangerous. Beware. And THANK YOU TO MY ROAD-ANGEL RESCUERS!!

Our mayor said that "Tourism was his Number 1 Priority" when he was elected. Nice words, highly appropriate, we're all dependent on tourism for our economic survival. So, why are our roads such an embarrassment to our island and our country?

Government and San Pedro Town Council needs to pave all arterial roads on the island. This means the road north, the road south and the road through San Pablo and DFC. Large up front investment, yes, but with the potential to reap dividends with increased tourism income in the future. Once the arterial roads are done hardly any island resident will be more than a couple of hundred yards from a paved road.

The Romans were building paved roads over 2000 years ago. We'd just be a little late.

Making money with tourism is part but not all of our adventure.
Taking 'The Road Less Traveled' makes life arduous and lifelong task. If it was paved and marked with an Exit sign Paradise would be crowded.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
There is a vast difference between a paved road and a well maintained gravel road.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 281 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.