Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#501673 03/01/15 02:01 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I know this will probably get more negative replies than positive since that seems to be the way of the world these days, but here we go...

My wife and I are planning to buy a lot on the west side of the AC within the next few weeks. We have researched about as much as we can, but I thought a quick post on here might bring some more info to light. I know the road to the west side is only dirt as many roads in AC are, although the concrete northern road extension does give me hope for the future, but I have never traveled that east west ride before. I also know that water, sewer and electricity are not available on the western side. For the people that really know this place, what do you think the west side will be like in 5-10 years? I've been told that these lots may be too small for a proper septic system, but I feel that info may be incorrect. At least I hope it is since septic may end up being my only choice. We will not be building on our lot for a while but want to make sure we are making an informed decision. Also, does this area turn into a mess in the rainy season or is it just like anywhere else on the island? Lastly, we are working with Dennis Kay from Remax. He seems like a good guy for a salesman, but I am also a salesman and know how that job is. Has anyone actually worked with him and maybe have some insight into whether or not he's trustworthy? Thank you to anyone who took the time to read all of this as these are the final questions I have been trying to fill in the blanks for.

Brett
Counting the days until I retire...

I can only give you my opinion on a few of your questions.
1) No one knows the future for sure but long term investment in land is usually a good thing.
2) I think the lots are ridiculously tiny and would not consider ever building on just one; two or three would be my desire.
3) Septic is not the only answer; composting toilets are to me the wave of the future.
4) I think this area would be the perfect place to live off the grid:
A. Septic/composting
B. Solar
C. Cisterns
D. Wind generation - as auxiliary only

The East/West Road is well built and better than any others (including the new paved roads north). It is built high and should stay dry and appears to be solid.

However, I would not buy anything sight unseen. There are places that are high and dry but most are not.

Finally - I don't think any one will (or should) bad mouth anyone on this forum that is better left to a one on one. BUT do come down and meet a lot of people and listen to their experiences from buying/living here. Do not come with set ideas - based on US practices or designs. If you are going to build, build something suitable for tropic type living - not mid-west.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
S
S
Harriette makes a lot of great points...

One question: You say "Ambergris Bay" lots. I think what many reading this might be thinking of are the Grand Belize Estate Lots (also near the leeward side, though not on the water.) "Ambergris Bay" is a subdivision that is a bit SOUTH of where the road to Grand Belize Estates comes out on the west side if I am correct.

The area back there is beautiful. Different than the the East side of the island, a world away from what it is like in "town"... it's also not without considerable challenges, though these are coupled with considerable rewards.

B
OP Offline
B
I have heard quite a bit about Grand Belizian Estates, but yes I do mean Ambergris Bay. The lot I am looking at is 1 back from the beachfront and I think this would be amazing, but I am worried about any possible problems.

Brett

Greetings ... how do you access the Ambergris Bay development?

B
OP Offline
B
Well, I know I may get attacked on this one, but the East-West connection road comes close to it, however, I've never been on it before to know for sure if there are any other roads. I honestly don't think it would be much of a problem since you can go to the beach and then ride up to it if all else fails. Maybe that's optimistic.

Brett

Hello BZ Bound , where is this lot that you are looking at ? north of the road or south. Ambergris Bay Sub runs both north and south of where the road meets the beach.

B
OP Offline
B
Just a little bit North of the pier.

[Linked Image]

Brett

192 Next door to me

L
L
I bought a couple of lots there a few years back. I was told by the seller, not to be named that electricy was on the way soon. That has not changed since. Deceptive "Heck yes". Anyway, the lot I purchased are pretty high and dry. Others I have seen are under water most of the year. The road from town used to take me 1 hour to get there. I think that has changed since a lot of it has been paved. Thanks Danny thr latest mayor. However, there needs to be a lot of infrastructure put in place. I would like to hear from people who have bought there for their input. Power in numbers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.