Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22218 05/13/00 01:20 AM
K
Kathy L Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Are mosquitos a problem on the island, acutally about 3 miles south of the town of San Pedro? I was reading the health info for travelers and got nervous. Do I have to take malaria pills to come to AC?

#22219 05/13/00 02:02 AM
Absolutely no need to worry!

W

#22220 05/13/00 03:29 AM
B
B
I've never had a problem with mosquitos in San Pedro. Inland is a different story though. If you don't plan on taking any big excursions into the jungle, don't worry about malaria pills. Besides, I've heard that they mess with your head - make you feel all paranoid, and have weird dreams and stuff.

Mike [Linked Image]

#22221 05/13/00 04:07 AM
I've found that while there is a trade wind blowing, Mesquitoes are not particularly a problem until ya get to the extreme south, which most people never go. I always bring Avon product called SSS. I put it on prior to shower which will usually protect ya. If the winds stop...go to San Ignacio, ya should be safe there.

[This message has been edited by Bill Thornton (edited 05-13-2000).]

Gone fishing!!
#22222 05/13/00 07:13 AM
S
S
When we were there in April, we found no bugs in San Pedro itself. However, on a golf cart trip to the north of the island, when our cart became stuck in the mud for a while, my daughter received about 10 mosquito bites within a few minutes! We hadn't taken any malaria precautions, but we aren't too worried. (By the way, she was wearing insect repellent with 50 percent DEET.)

#22223 05/13/00 08:53 AM
At times of the year, especially in the late summer after a lot of rain, away from the water and breeze, mosquitos on North Ambergris and also south of the developed area on the south part of the island can be really bad. Really bad. If you're on a golf cart and even slow down a little the mozzies can cover you in seconds.

I once saw a woman coming back from North Ambergris on the ferry across the channel whose back was literally covered with hundreds of mosquitos. She was carrying a little baby and didn't want to use a repellent around the infant. She must have been in real pain that evening, from all the bites.

But in San Pedro and in the developed areas around it mosquitos you see few if any mosquitos.

Few visitors to Ambergris Caye bother with anti-malarials, and I have never heard of a visitor getting malaria on the island, although I believe that the CDC still recommends chloroquine for visits anywhere outside of Belize City.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#22224 05/13/00 10:27 PM
R
R
During the summer months, I would highly recommend mosquito repellent. If you can take it with you, you will be much better off because some of the stores run out of it. When you do find it, it can be quite expensive. Also, if you have access to anti-malaria medications (such as Lariam) why not take it. It can't hurt, but it sure can help!
Renea George

Renea
#22225 05/13/00 10:43 PM
K
Kathy L Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Many thanks to all of you for your reply! I am alot less worried now.

kathy

#22226 05/14/00 10:33 AM
>>anti-malaria medications (such as Lariam)<<

Larium is really not needed in Belize. Even in jungle areas, strains are not chloroquine-resistant. Plain old chloroquine (Aralen is the brand name) which is time-tested, cheaper and with many fewer side effects than Larium is all one needs even in remote bush areas of Belize. Malaria is rare to non-existant on the cayes.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.