Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#27756 09/26/00 07:27 PM
D
OP Offline
D
We're arriving in SP(first time) on 10-15 for a 3 month stay. Can't wait!!! We have to maintain my hubby's low fat diet during his cardiac rehab(so he can keep up the diving!!)
Can anyone give me info on lowfat foods available(ie spreads, fat frees)?? Will try to bring what we need if I can find out what we can get there! Thanks a bunch!

#27757 09/26/00 07:45 PM
S
S
I just suffered a "mild" heart attack about 2 weeks ago, spent a week in the Belize hospital and am now headed for the Houston VA hospital on Sunday. I'm trying to follow a no salt, no oils diet and finding a challenge with it. Turns out that everything in the market has salt in it. So I'm limited to fresh veggies and fruits and a little boneless, skinless chicken breast with all kinds of seasonings except salt.
Any advice will be much appreciated!

#27758 09/26/00 07:55 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Know the frustration, Jesse...we just had triple bypass 7 weeks ago...
but now, with diet, exercise, no caffeine, no smoking, and a major stress reducing lifestyle, we have his cholesterol below average, along with all of the other lipid profiles..
So...
we do fat free cheeses, milk, fake eggs(Eggbeaters, etc), lots of beans/lentils/pastas/bread/fruit/veggies...
We've found fat free substitues for almost everything in the states...but I need to know if ANY of it will be available in Belize?
My hubbies a vet as well...and the VA has done some of his meds(although we used the private sector for surgery & cardiologist).
Do you live in Belize full time? Working?Retired? How was your hospital stay? Gosh...didn't mean to inundate you with questions...I'll give you a chance to answer, then I'll get you some hints on food!
:-)

#27759 09/26/00 08:07 PM
S
S
If there are any fat free cheeses,milk,eggs or spreads in Belize, I don't know where they're hiding!
Yes, I live in San Pedro full-time (6 years) and have a real estate consulting business here.
The Belize hospital is staffed with kind, caring people who are hampered by shortages in most everything... toilet paper, cups, silverware, etc. but still manage to the best they can.
Hopefully by the time you arrive I'll be back here rehabing from whatever repairs they decide to do to me.
We'll have to get together and discuss this.

#27760 09/26/00 08:13 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Well good luck with the procedures(whichever they turn out to be)...We'll be at the Yacht Club...Rhonda & John Dunlap...so after 10-15, give us a holler when you can!!! We'll get together for a cuppa java(decaf, of course)...We'll be pullin' for ya!!!
By the way...when you're in Houston, you may want to pick up a supply of the fat-free stuff...butter/cheese/mayo/meats etc.

#27761 09/27/00 08:35 AM
Jesse,
I was just diagnosed with a damaged aortic valve. Scared the living sh--@@$#%^$%$# out of me. Apparently, I'll have to have it replaced eventually. Still getting info from cardiologists in Houston. bummer. Don't know if I have to change diet yet. Everything looks okay. We'll see. Hope that all goes well with you. Let me know when you're going to Houston. We could arrange a visit.... Best wishes to you.
Debbie

#27762 09/27/00 10:17 AM
Divernik, the good news for diet is, that in San Pedro, you can buy wonderful fruits, vegetables, fresh chicken, and fresh fish.
May have to develope dressings, of fresh lime/lemon, fruits and some great spices, that do not have salt, using a blender, that would be tasty on salads, vegetables, chicken, and fish. The bakeries are great for your breads. Best place to exercise, walking the beaches and town. Relaxing will be the easiest part, due to the peace and beauty there. Best to you and your husband.

Dare To Deviate
#27763 09/29/00 09:58 PM
K
Kim Offline
K
Hi I've been here for the past month, my husband is a medical student. This place sucks when it comes to getting anything as far as low or fat free anything. they have 2%or whole milk, it is so expensive here to but any groceries and the grocerey stores are something to be desired. Fresh fruit and veggies, well all I can say is that we were told there would be an "abundance" of both and we get here and the school tells the students don't buy the fresh fruits or the vegitables and told them to question where the chicken come from. I can say I have lost 15 pounds in this last month. I if I were you I'd bring EVERYTHING you'll need with you.

#27764 09/29/00 10:06 PM
S
S
Your mistake is in listening to the school if they're telling you not to eat all the fresh food produced in Belize. It's far better than the US foods. The chicken is outstanding! The fresh veggies and fruits may not be the "picture perfect" versions you see in a US supermarket but they are clean and healthy and delicious. Try the Island Supermarket and the veg. stand by BELs offce. And lighten up!

#27765 09/29/00 10:07 PM
I have not found any problems with fresh fruit or vegeys or the chicken, been here for 12 years, granted awhile back it was a little difficult to get fresh fruit or vegetables without heading for B city, but the last few years I have been able to buy everything we need right in Sanpedro. Head down to the backend boat dock on Tues am's, but get there early there is usually a rush for the vegy boat.

Reality..What a concept!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 145 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.