Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#34844 02/15/01 01:13 AM
R
rhino Offline OP
OP Offline
R
we're coming down to AC in march. thanks for the reasurance that people like joey b. are not welcomed. we are looking forward to a fun family trip. is there any way to fish the flats for bonefish etc. without a boat? any kayaks for rent?

#34845 02/15/01 03:50 AM
B
B
Opportunities to "wade the flats" for bonefish a la Christmas Island or the Bahamas are very limited on AC. However, after our days in a boat, we had some good fun in the hour or so before dark wading some of the beach areas north of town. Keep an eye open for bonefish in what might seem unlikely spots - they are there! Also, if you just want to blind cast and strip back in, take some chartruese clousers to the same places, wade in and go for it. There are lots of jacks and small barracuda and who knows what else you might dredge up. Look for spots where you can cast into slightly deeper water and strip back in over shallower water. Try it - it works, it's easy, and it's fun for a couple hours at the end of the day.

#34846 02/15/01 09:49 AM
C
cjd Offline
C
I understand that several of the hotels have kayaks and/or canoes for free use or for rent. It seems like there are lots of people on this board with extensive knowledge of many of the hotels so if you let people know where you're planning on staying you'll get lots of good feedback.

#34847 02/15/01 10:32 AM
My husband and I are coming down for the second time in June. We will be staying at the Seven Seas. Is there a dock there that my husband can fish off of like the above post at the end of the day? We realize many people swim off the docks, as we did last year, and we would want to wait until there were no swimmers..... My husband will bring his own rod and reel, but do you have any further hints on bait. He DEFINATELY wants to go bone fishing while there. He only reefed fished last year and was bitterly disappointed. It stormed the day he planned to go bone fishing. Who is the best guide for bone fishing? Would like an all day with a beach pic-nic included for lunch. (our catch with a lobster on the side?) Any suggestions??? I keep hearing about someone named Lois or Louis?? Louis who? What's his last name?
Debbie

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 02-15-2001).]

#34848 02/15/01 11:49 AM

#34849 02/15/01 02:46 PM
We fish with Mr. Louis Guerrero. We fish the reef so I don't know about fishing the flats for bonefish. He docks his boat at the Holiday House Hotel. I have email for his daughter and his phone#.

Debbie - your husband was disappointed with the reef fishing?? Or disappointed that he didn't go bone fishing?? We have never been disappointed with the reef fishing, in over 10 years! Never got skunked!
We catch sardines for bait.
Belize it!

#34850 02/15/01 04:17 PM
Margarita,
Hubby was disappointed it stormed on the day he was set to bone fish. The reef fishing was awesome. We couldn't eat all that we caught, so he sent half home with the guide for his family. Tons of yellow tail snapper. Absolutely delicious. We had Ambergris Delight cook some for us and we also cooked some on our grill. I made note of Louis' last name and also saw one named Cadiz. I guess Louis is a pretty common name..... Will try both!! Thanks
Debbie

#34851 02/16/01 04:38 PM
Debbie, Have you guys ever done a shore lunch? Your catch of the morning is fixed for lunch on a Belize BarBQ of coconut husks.
Delicious! Try it! We usually go North by Mexico Rocks for Shore lunch, but lots of spots are perfect.
Belize it!

#34852 02/16/01 05:07 PM
Margarita,
This sounds very nice. Is this a pic nic you do yourself or do you have a guide with you? Is it okay to build a fire on the beach to roast the fish? How far away from town are we talking about? I think it sounds fabulous. Send me the details.
Debbie

#34853 02/17/01 10:59 PM
M
M
Debbie...we stayed at the SS's last Sept. and one of the young men that worked in the (small) office was Louis. He was wonderful, and he lent my husband and siste a fishing pole to use. He went fishing all the time. He was going to take us fishing one day, on his day off, but we did not connect,and we never got to fish with him. He is a wonderful person, but I don't know his last name. Louis and his wife had a son about 4 months old then, so I am not sure if it is the same guy. Not sure about the management of the SS's now, Bill was the owner and a very nice Frenchman named Dom was the manager. Let us know if you need more info. Have a great time!

Mary and Scott
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.