Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#40072 05/30/01 10:19 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi! I did a search on this subject and thought I'd come wuth tons of posts...NOT! (At least within the last 30 days.)

Anyway, I think I know what the allowable amounts are (1 bottle per person?), but how are the prices in Belize for liquor? How about the mainland versus AC? Wondering whether I should bring some, buy on mainland (isn't there a duty free at the Internat'l airport?) or just wait until I get to AC.

Also, is there a limit on coffee? How are prices for that on AC?

Thanks bunches!! Sharon

#40073 05/30/01 11:06 AM
C
C
Sharon,
We were allowed 2 litres per person to bring back. We waited to buy it at the airport but that was a mistake (at least for the coconut rum). We found the prices cheaper at the local markets. I'm not sure what you're wanting to drink there but as for bringing some back, buy it at the market, not the airport.

Connie

#40074 05/30/01 02:33 PM
Local rums are fairly inexpensive (US$6 to $10 or so a bottle) in groceries on Ambergris and elsewhere. Any imported booze, whether from the U.S. or elsewhere, will be considerably more expensive than in the U.S. Vodka and a couple of other types also are made in Belize, so those aren't so expensive.

I've never been clear on what the law is for bringing booze into Belize -- I've been told one liter person and also two liters per person. Like many things in Belize, it may just depend ...

I would say that if you like a particular brand bring a bottle of that and then switch to local rums which are affordable and excellent -- Duurley's gold is my favorite but a lot of people like One Barrel.

At bars, local rum drinks are always the cheapest way to go. A gin and tonic for example might be three times the cost of a rum and tonic.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#40075 05/30/01 02:59 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the info! That helps! Now we can drink even more! Yikes!! Sharon

#40076 05/30/01 03:02 PM
We have brought (2) 1.75L of good vodka each time for the past two years (since they closed the INBOUND duty free shop). I have never heard of anyone getting hassled for their alcohol amounts, certainly not if it is within reason.

Lan is correct about the "imported" prices at the local stores. They are very high (depends, of course, on ones perspective), and quite a change from years previous. The local stuff isn't too bad...in fact the rums are damn good. Local vodka so-so, but generally need a little extra filtration (coffee filters work just fine). Unless you have a desire to punish yourself without mercy, stay away from Belizian gin.

#40077 05/30/01 03:31 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks to you, too, CHOOCHOO! Anyone know of any restrictions on coffee?

#40078 05/30/01 03:35 PM
One more question on the rum..... I'm particularly fond of dark spiced rum. I like Captain Morgan's myself. Does Belize make a dark spiced rum? I know coconut rum is everywhere, but what about spiced? Should we bring our own or try the Belizian dark rum. Is one barrel dark?
Debbie

#40079 05/30/01 03:56 PM
ChooChoo! Only you would know how to improve the booze!
We bring our own good vodka, but Absolut is available in many stores in San Pedro at affordable (not budget) prices.
Some local vodka is made from sugar cane and tastes more like rum to me!
I know alot of people bring their own coffee but I was under the impression that as an agricultural product it is not allowed to be brought into the country?
Maxwell House is available at the stores.

I belize the cheapest liquor is actually the concentrated rum sold in small brown bottles. It is convenient for rum punches and such.
Warning! Dilute it!

#40080 05/30/01 08:37 PM
shaygray:

Don't bring coffee to belize.. it's like bringing your own sand or beer!!!

before I left, I too was worried about the quality of coffe ( after reading about it in a negative post here).. but I took a chance.

suffice it to say, Gallon Jug Coffee Rules!!! I'm a major java junkie ( and so were the other 7 people in our party).. everyone had their choice of local coffee or maxwell house at the store.. for 7$us a pound (ground for you).. it makes for mighty nice mornings.

we all brought a few pounds back ( they sell it in airtight containers for 9us a pound.

As far as liquor.. don't sweat it.. bring in what you want, if you get hassled at customs, just pay the duty. ( but know that you can buy anything for only a few dollars more than what it would cost back home)... coconut, silver, and gold rum is all about 5-8 bucks a bottle...

#40081 05/31/01 02:14 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks everyone! I think I got it:

1. Buy the rum in Belize (unless you'd rather drink what you're used to in the US instead of trying out the great & CHEAP Belizean stuff)

2. Vodka? Bring it or bring filters.

3. Gin? Bring it or don't even go there!

4. Coffee? No problem, mon! Enjoy the fresh ground the island has to offer! Better, too, than picking coffee grounds out of gosh-knows-what in your suitcase!

I'm all set! 46 hours and counting.....

Sharon

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.