Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#40880 06/15/01 07:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Hi Again,

With ONLY 5 MORE DAYS, I have a few more questions...

1. Trying to decide between Altun Ha and the Lamani trip - I have vertigo and can't climb to the top of the ruins, regardless of how great the view (at Chichen Itza sp? I went about 8 steps up the great pyramid and had to come back down on my behind). How much do you lose on the Lamani trip by not being able to climb up for the views? Would Altun Ha be better in that regard?

2. Is there a place, and if so where, in San Pedro that I can buy a straw-type hat for the sun - esp. one that you can tie on for going out on the boats?

3. What time does it get dark?

4. In some of the great pictures that have been posted, I've noticed a number of people in long pants, which surprised me because of the heat. I haven't packed any, will I need them?

5. Are there any good bars near the Seven Seas? What about restaurants (other than Papi's). I'm not sure I should be walking around town my myself at night.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!! I will have a drink in your honor - just let me know what I should toast you with and where to do it <g>?

#40881 06/15/01 08:45 AM
Island girl:

1. I did Lamani and only climbed up one ruin. They really ask you not to climb all over them. the grounds are just spectacular adn you don't need to climb them to appreciate them.

2. There are some great stores to get hats like that. Right down across from a few of the beachfront hotels.

3. It gets dark same time as here in the US. Probably like 8. And there are street lights here and there that light the streets up. We had no problems.

4. I wore a pair of cotton pants down on the plane because i get cold all the time. I don't think I put them on at all on the Island. Though if you tend to burn in the sun, you may want something light to wear for a chill at night, but it's by no means cold.

5. Not too sure of the bars around the place you'll be. But to walk all over town isn't bad to do by yourrself. People are freindly and no one will bother you. Use your common sense and just be friendly. You'll be fine. I had no problems at all. Took me 1 night to adjust and then I was all over the place and felt as comfortable as can be.

The people are so friendly that it's hard to imagine. Especially if you live in a big city.

Enjoy!

#40882 06/15/01 09:52 AM
I would say that more of the locals wear long pants than tourists. You might want light weight long pants for the jungle trips. Also I always bring one light long sleeve shirt for protection from the sun. Long sleeves can be hard to find in the gift shops but you should have no trouble finding a straw hat, lots of shops on front & middle streets. Taxi rides are cheap if you don't want to walk late at night by yourself. You could also rent a golfcart.
There are more local bars up by the Seven Seas, depends on what you want.
Have a Bloody Mary, Rum Punch, Limeaide or Coffee at Estel's on the beach in the center of town.

#40883 06/15/01 10:45 AM
To clarify one point, since Belize is much closer to the equator than most of the U.S., days and nights are fairly equal in length.

Sunset is around 6:30 this time of year, much earlier than in most of the U.S.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#40884 06/15/01 11:21 AM
L
L
I didn't bring any long pants. Too hot to wear them!

#40885 06/15/01 11:23 AM
KC Offline
I'll add a couple of things...
On our trip to Altun Ha we all climbed up the largest ruin, and one lady had a very difficult time coming down. (It was a very steep and narrow "side steps" since they preferred that you not walk up the ruin itself). Anyway, if you do go to Altun Ha, be aware that there is also a "high" ruin there.

I wore long pants (light weight) and a long sleeve shirt down on the plane, and I was very glad to have them. They were comfortable to have on the boat ride to and from the ruins (wind, sun, and bugs). I advise taking or wearing something that covers you but is light.

Five days, huh? 17 for me. Trying to not get too excited yet (but its hard).

kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#40886 06/15/01 02:12 PM
I like the Lamanai trip better. longer in the river, all day not half or 2/3 day, just seems better to me.

but they are both rad

#40887 06/18/01 03:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Thanks everybody for all the responses. It is so helpful to get first hand information. I'LL BE THERE IN 48 HOURS!!! and boy will I need it by the time I finally get there!

Kathy, will you and the girls be at BCs next Sunday after you get in?

#40888 06/18/01 05:55 PM
KC Offline
I_G: Let's see, our first Sunday there will be July 7... Is BCs by the Palapa? (or are they the same thing?) I'm confused... probably because I haven't been paying attention! I thought that the Palapa was the place to be on Sunday... but then I also recall BCs BBQ on Sunday. Fill me in. [Linked Image]

See you on the 4th at 6:00 at Fido's, right?

ADDENDUM: I just read on another post that you are leaving AC on the 6th, so I guess we won't meet up at BCs anyway! But still see you on the 4th!

kathy

[This message has been edited by KC (edited 06-18-2001).]

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#40889 06/18/01 06:20 PM
D
D
if youll be at seven eas from june 25 - 29 maybee well see each other
dave d

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.