Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#51523 03/13/02 01:07 PM
OP Offline
Hello all,
This site is great. I have been researching websites and brochures for a honeymoon destination in Oct. I have decided on AC but I cannot decide on a resort.
I have been reading these entries and it has helped but there are so MANY! I have decided against Ramone's, fleas YIKES.
But I can't decide on which of the best to choose.
I want a luxurious room, close to town enough to enjoy but not to close, scuba and snorkleing, nice beach and BAR, restaurant and good staff. My fiance is worried the accomadations will not be as nice as somewhere else in the carribean. From what I hear everyone has a great staff.
I want the trip to be easy and fun. My choices so far are Victoria House, banyan Bay, Carribean and Capricorn.
Please help me decide or let me know if I am leaving one out Money is no issue.
Thanks you very much!
[email protected]

#51524 03/13/02 01:23 PM
Of the four you list, based on your requirements I would think you would be happiest at Victoria House or Villas at Banyan Bay. Both have restaurants/bars, plus pools, whereas Capricorn, while it has a great restaurant and bar, is basically just three small cabins and most of the emphasis is on the restaurant. Caribbean Villas, while comfortable, does not have a restaurant or bar on-site, though some are nearby, and it has no pool.

Among others you are leaving out Mata Chica, Cayo Espanto and Portofino. If money truly is no issue, Cayo Espanto might be for you -- expect to pay up to US$12000 for a week, but that does include meals and most drinks.

--Lan Sluder

Belize books and publications by Lan Sluder:
Belize First Magazine (http://www.belizefirst.com)
Fodor's Belize & Guatemala Guide
Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize
Adapter Kit: Belize (the first and only comprehensive guide to living, retiring, working and investing in Belize -- a best-seller on Amazon.com)
UpClose Central America
San Pedro Cool (coming soon)

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#51525 03/13/02 01:35 PM
S
S
Search the message board for those names (one at a time). You'll I recommend copying the messages to a word document as there will be many.

Some of those places are quite a ways from town and require the water taxi. What is "close enough"? Walking distance?

To me the edge of walking distance is Banana Beach. To many that is too far. There are two restaurants nearby. Only on the north end will you find yourself limited to having to make travel plans to expand the variety of restaraunts.

Tropica has a pool (small and hardly used), and a restraunt (next to Banana beach. Down there is the nicest beach on the south side.

The yacht club is nice but I consider the beach poor.

The north end has great beaches but you'll be limited to scuba providers etc. Closer to town you can choose from many operations and most will pick you up at your dock.

I thought Cap. Morgans looked very nice (did not stay there). THere are several restaurants nearby, the water taxi is not a long ride. I do not know if they have golf carts to rent directly from them. I don't recommend driving a golf cart from town to ther in the dark without good lights, unless they have fixed up the north-end highway [Linked Image]

Beside, the ferry stops operating about dusk I believe.

I did not find AC to be as nice as some other places in the Caribbean. It's similar to Playa Del Carmen (one of my favorite places) but smaller and more quaint.

It's nicer than Cozumel town, not a busy as Cancun (Cancun has nicer beaches by far), not as nice and far from as expensive as the Virgin Islands, the Bahamas etc. AC has great people and culture.

My first impression was disappointment. I'm returning this year if that says anything about my overall experience!

Bob

#51526 03/13/02 02:10 PM
My first impression was disappointment too. [Linked Image] But since that time, I've been back 4 times in 2 years. Each time staying longer than the time before. I can't get enough.

There are certainly prettier places to take your honeymoon with better beaches. Make sure that your soon-to-be spouse and yourself have made the right decision for your honeymoon. This would not be a good time for the two of you to have different ideas about what you want and don't want out of your first married vacation time together.

The whole place is quaint; even the upscale places are quaint in the overall scheme of things in the Caribbean.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#51527 03/13/02 03:42 PM
KC Offline
Concerning this statement by Scubabob: "The north end has great beaches but you'll be limited to scuba providers etc. Closer to town you can choose from many operations and most will pick you up at your dock"

My comment: We have a villa 4.5 miles north (by Journey's End) and we have never been restricted as to SCUBA, snorkel, or tour providers. We have gone with Barefoot, Ambergris Divers, and Tanisha Tours, who have all picked us up and returned us to our dock.

It is my (very prejudiced) opinion that the beauty, serenity, and PRIVACY of a home north of San Pedro is the perfect honeymoon setting. A 15-minute boat taxi gets you to the action in town when desired, but leaving the town behind and going to your "home" for some "quality time" [Linked Image] together is the beauty of staying north.

Just my opinion!

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#51528 03/13/02 03:45 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for replying. "Disappointment" does not sound like a place I want to go on my honeymoon. I'm not giving up on AC yet. I would like to be at least a short golf cart ride from town. If AC isn't as nice as say Aruba or St. Thomas or Mexico, should I start my search over? I really like the "quaintness" idea but I don't want to feel bored or trapped. Thanks,
Hays

#51529 03/13/02 04:12 PM
J
J
If you go to the Virgin Islands I recommend St. John. St. Thomas is too much like a big city. St. John is more islandy, plus you can take the ferry to St. Thomas to shop if you want. We rented a condo for a week, cheaper than a hotel & very nice. So far, St. John is my favorite vacation destination. Snorkeling & diving are great! Next month I'm giving AC a try. Hope I'm not disappointed, this is our first vacation in quite a while.

#51530 03/13/02 05:06 PM
O
O
Thought I'd read all the posts....Fleas at Ramon's??? We're staying there in five weeks.Animal fleas or sand fleas???

#51531 03/13/02 06:50 PM
OP Offline
Oldmom,
I heard that (fleas)under the subject, Honymoon. I don't remeber the name but you cannot decide on one email. I find it hard to believe Ramone's has a pest problem considering the rates but you never know. I am still thinking about Ramone's, other than the messages saying that it doesn't have great sleeping quarters. i just received their brochure in the mail and it is still high on my list. Don't let what I read scare you off...I may still go there because of the bar, and the honeymoon suite, although the fleas message scared me.
Hays

#51532 03/13/02 07:13 PM
O
O
It was your posting where I saw fleas and Ramone's....anyway, we'll be there fleas or no fleas; sounds like a nice place and I'm anxious!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.