Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#49828 04/29/02 08:01 PM
OP Offline
Can you give me info, good & bad on doing the Bluehole dive?

#49829 04/29/02 08:16 PM
What is your certification level? How many dives have you actually done and where did you do them?

The answers to these questions will assist me in answering your question.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#49830 04/29/02 08:24 PM
OP Offline
I am a Master diver, have over 150 dives in Belize, Cozumel, Costa Rica, and the Caribbean. My deepest has been about 130 feet, but I don't intend to go over 150 feet, if I do Bluehole.

#49831 04/29/02 08:46 PM
DallasDiver,

I dove the blue hole in January. It is nice to say that I did it, but it was not my favorite dive in Belize. I was on an over-night trip with Barefoot and it was just one of many stops. I don't know that I would want to ride all the way out to the blue hole and back just for a 7 minute dive. It was not the most beautiful dive spot, but I have to admit, it was one of the more interesting.

#49832 04/29/02 08:57 PM
C
C
Blue hole trip:
Pros
Lunch at Half Moon Caye-pretty little island, you can climb up the observation tower and watch all of the frigate(sp?)and boobie birds nesting and flying around.

The two other dives are good wall dives- nicer coral than local dives, saw a nice amount of fish and one HUGE moray.

Sharks usually at the Blue Hole.

You can say you've done the "famous" Blue Hole.

Cons
Long-*ss boat ride, early a.m.
Not much life other than the sharks.
Crowded.
Once you are down, time to go back up.

#49833 04/30/02 12:03 AM
Dallas Diver, cool!! You've got no worries then if you choose to do it. You aren't supposed to drop below 130 anyway. [Linked Image]

I've done the Hole 3 times and would have done it twice more. Once I missed because one of the engines on the boat broke down on the way out(not Amigos) and we dove Turneffe instead. And the other time I missed, I had to call the dives because I'd had too much fun the night before. I've been pretty lucky also. Each time I went out there, was a beautiful day or at a minimum a nice day.

If it was the only dive that was going to be done on that day, then perhaps it is not worth the trip. *However*, it is not the only dive that day!

If you go with Amigos, you go out on their brand new and reasonably luxurious cruiser. (You can even nap on the provided mattresses on the way out if you are still sleepy.) You dive the Hole with the sharks. Included in the day, are two more *fantastic* dives and a real nice lunch on an idyllic island. On the way back to San Pedro, you will be served panty-rippers, if you are so inclined to indulge. It's one helluva way to spend a day, if ya ask me.

I've enjoyed the Hole more each time I've been and while that's partly because my overall diving experience has increased since the first time, it is also because I'm more more familiar with the site now and I spend time poking around the wall looking in little chambers, checking out the composition of the wall and contemplating the majesty of the events that created such a place. To me, it is almost a spiritual thing. Get Changa talking about diving the Hole if you can.

Any number of people feel the way I do, but just as many or more, don't think it is all that. There doesn't seem to be too many reactions in between the two.

I think you should go. Take your flashlight. I hope you have great weather and, say, by the way, the last time I was in there, I got cruised within 10'-15' by an 8-10 footer. There he was giving me that deep-black-eye-once-over while I was hanging on my stop at 20'. :^0

Can't beat it with a stick, I say. LOL

#49834 04/30/02 09:29 AM
R
R
Seashell - I have read good things about both Amigos and Barefoot, this being our first trip to Belize do you think one operation is any better than the other? We are also planning a trip to Blue Hole. FYI, wihtin our group 2 of us have logged 75 dives and the other 2 have close to 50. Mainly in Cayman, Cozumel, and Fla. Thanks for your input!

#49835 04/30/02 10:19 AM
I have not been diving with Barefoot, but I have met Dawn, liked her and how she appeared to do business. That said, I can't confirm it further. I've never heard anyone complain, other than having an overnight trip cancelled due to lack of numbers. I think that could happen anywhere.

At this time, I believe the premier shop in San Pedro to be Amigos. They most certainly do have a beautiful new boat for the Blue Hole trip.

Amigos have a number of DM's and captains that have been with them for years. And they are all great (except for one I'm not crazy about) They also have one new guy (as of early January) and he was with another shop for 10 years. I think it says alot that so many people have been so consistently working with them.

A few of the other shops can't say that. They may have one or two that stay but lots of their staff has regular turnover.

Still, I think you will probably be happy whichever way you go.

#49836 04/30/02 10:22 AM
barefoot divers actually suggested to me that we try a few of the "good" rep shops while we were there, rather than sticking with just them.

i thought that was good business practice, and good for the island.

then everybody happy [Linked Image]

#49837 04/30/02 07:57 PM
ABsolutely do the Blue Hole I have dived it many many times and I think its great.

You will have just as many people say it is not such a good experience as you will that will rave about it, the only way is to do it yourself and see what you think.

I have had people really thank me for sending them on the trip and one thing can be said NOBODY will say the other dives are SO SO

have a great time and DIVE SAFE

Gaz Cooper
Playa Blanca Dive & Beach Club www.playablancabelize.com www.divebelize.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.