Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#49616 05/21/02 07:17 PM
I
Iris Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Ambergris Caye sounds great as a diving and general vacation spot except I've seen a few posts on other sites that mention high waves. I don't do well in rough weather. Is this the norm, or a once in a while occurence? I'm looking to dive around the island, not at the blue hole or the atolls. Also, I'd be travelling alone, mid-40s - is it easy to meet people? Thanks for your help.

#49617 05/21/02 08:29 PM
what you saw was high winds, not high waves. the water is resonably calm inside the reef. on a good day, it is like your bathtub.

#49618 05/21/02 09:54 PM
T
T
Inside the reef, very calm and lovely. You're doing to have a great time! And it's very easy to meet folks, at least it was for my husband and I. People are friendly, both locals and fellow travelers.

#49619 05/21/02 10:01 PM
The seas inside the reef are generally calm, but that can't always be said of the dive sites outside the reef, of which there are many. It is really the luck of the weather card draw. I was a bit nervous the first time out, but all you have to do is ride the waves with your inflated BC and you are just fine. Sometimes, there's a bit of whacking about trying to get back onto the boat, but if you are in fairly good shape, it shouldn't be anything you can't handle. You and I are about on par from what you tell us.

I go down by myself quite often and have never had too much trouble meeting people. The only times it has ever been difficult was if I was feeling insecure within myself. If you just talk to people, they will gladly talk to you and if they aren't friendly, to hell with them, and move on to someone nicer. Most everyone on vacation came to have a good time and they are pleased to make new acquaintances. Go diving, go on some tours, have some drinks at Fido's bar and you'll be on your way.

Watch out for those friendly sharks up on shore though!! (wicked grin)

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#49620 05/22/02 07:18 PM
I
Iris Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thank all for your replies. I'm concerned with sea sickness on the boat, but it sounds like I should be okay, especially if I stick to the dive sights within the reef. AC sounds like a great vacation spot. Now all I have to decide is decide where to stay!

Iris

#49621 05/22/02 08:18 PM
L
L
I just made my second trip down solo. I am early 40s and have a blast. You will love it!

#49622 05/23/02 01:28 AM
Iris, I don't get seasick but my buddies do. They use those wristbands and swear by them.

I just got back from a trip to the South Pacific and everyone was feeling a bit queazy, except me. A couple of my buds started to wear their wristbands and had no more trouble for the rest of the trip. The others ate a Gravol every morning and that was the end of all the problems.

It is difficult to select to dive just the inside sites, as most of and the best sites are outside the reef anyway. Why not try the wristguards? If they don't work, nothing lost, you can go back to only diving inside.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#49623 05/23/02 07:25 AM
B
B
Iris: If you're seeing your doctor anytime before the trip to AC, ask him/her about the Scopolamine patch. My husband is VERY prone to seasickness (even looking at the ocean makes him queasy...seriously). He had tried the wristbands and they helped some but not entirely. This year he tried the patch (lasts for two days)and he had no problem at all when we were outside the reef on a windy day in some pretty rough surf. It made all the difference between a great day fishing and an awful green-faced day.

#49624 05/23/02 09:10 AM
frank only had a problem on the turneffe atoll trip. another guy was green the whole way. i'll have to try one of those brascelets, tho.

bw - too bad the doc didn't have a patch for hubby's montezuma's revenge [Linked Image]

#49625 05/23/02 11:25 AM
B
B
SJ --- he did. It was called "Noroxin". A pill, not a patch but worked great and by day 3 he was up and at'em again. Just too bad the timing was what it was. BC's big bash on the 21st was only day 2...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 278 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.