Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
elwonk Offline OP
OP Offline
E
My husband and I are making our 1st trip to Belize in February. We will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary and want to stay somewhere really special. Would you recommend Banyon Bay or is there somewhere else we should check out? Can anyone offer some suggestions, positives, negatives of this resort and it's location versus other comparables? Thanks so much!

C
C
We have stayed at Banyan Bay several times. I don't think that you will be dissapointed. It's one of the top spots on the island..........Very nice pool and grounds, friendly staff, and a good restaurant. It is a ways south of town, so we always rented a golf cart for our entire stay.
The units themselves are very spacious and very nice.
Enjoy your stay!

E
elwonk Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the input Crockhunter. When you say a ways out of town, how far? Do you think it's better for first timers to stay closer so as not to spend so much time going back and forth? We have also heard nice things about the Victoria House...

Banyan Bay is about 1 1/2 miles S of town. Very nice place but it is all 2 bedroom villas so may be more than what you need. VH is also very nice and a bit further south. They have a variety of rooms/cabanas. Also in that general area are Banana Beach, Mata Rocks & Tropica.

Under the "really special" category I would list VH, Capricorn, Mata Chica, Portofino, possibly Ramon's, Playa Blanca Island Villa. Depends on what type atmosphere you are looking for and price range.

E
elwonk Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the info Barbara. I will check out the other resorts you listed. I really would like a romantic atmosphere. We are leaving our two darlings home with Grandma, so I guess somewhere with lots of kids might not be our 1st choice for this trip. Does that lead you to suggest anywhere imparticular? I think for this occassion price is secondary to location. Thanks again. smile

J
J
My husband and I have only made on trip to Ambergris Caye, so we are not the experts that some folks on this board are. I would just like to say that we really enjoyed the town of San Pedro and the various bars and restaurants there. For that reason, I wouldn't want to stay north of 'the cut'. It's just too much of a pain to have to depend on water taxis to go back and forth after 8pm. We stayed at Blue Tang, which was fine, but probably not quite as upscale as what you're looking for. I'd be looking at Victoria House, if you don't mind renting a golf cart. Or The Palms if you want to be closer to town.

It's a wonderful place, can't wait go return.

Jean

As Barbara says, while Banyan Bay is a great the two-bedroom + units would be a bit of overkill for a couple. You might look at the seafront units at Banana Beach, especially those on the second and third floors with balconies -- it's terrific to be so close to the sea.

Caribbean Villas has a beautiful setting and I think is kind of romantic, but it doesn't have a pool.

Portofino, though it's north, does have a romantic kind of atmosphere.

Cayo Espanto, of course, is romantic to the max, though it's outrageously priced.

Not on Ambergris, but Turtle Inn in Placencia is one of the most exotic and romantic places in Belize. And if you don't need to be on the beach, there are some fantastic jungle lodges with a lot of romantic atmosphere -- Ek'Tun (which recently has gone adult only to appeal more to honeymooners), the new honeymoon suites at Chaa Creek, Chan Chich and Blancaneaux.

And if you just want to be away from things, Casablanca in Consejo (near Corozal) is kinda romantic. And a deal at Us$60 or so for the best room in the house.

--Lan Sluder <Fodor's, San Pedro Cool, Adapter Kit Belize, etc.>

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
P
P
My wife and I also spent our 10 year anniversary at Banyan Bay about a year and half ago. We absolutely loved it. With the distance from town we rented a golf cart on a few days and just walked when necessary. The walk along the beach from the resort into town is also nice. Then, at the end of the evening you can always flag down a cab and get a lift back for about $5(US). The staff were very friendly and the grounds, pool, etc. very well maintained. Victoria House, further south is very nice, but a bit formal (though it's hard to believe anything can be formal in Beliiiiiize). Banyan Bay is fairly quiet, so if you really want to be by the nightlife, stay closer to town.
Happy Anniversary

Since I first saw Victoria House, I have maintained that were I to have a honeymoon or an anniversary in San Pedro, I would stay at VH.

Take a look at the Casa Azul suites.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.