Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I was wondering if anyone here can help me out with information concerning the general snorkeling conditions around AC in May. Also, are any snorkeling trip providers more highly recommended than others. I have my own equipment, so rental isn't an issue, just the quality of the boat/motor and snorkeling sites visited.

Coming to you from the beautiful Oley Valley.
The only problem I've witness in May, is the "pica pica" problem. Seasafe seems to work for some - I used it but wimped out and got out of the boat after Tulu was stung on the neck.

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
OP Offline
OK, help me out here please. Since I don't even qualify as a "newbie" since I've yet to set foot on AC for the first time, what is "pica pica" and also, what is Seasafe? Sorry for all the mundane questions.

Pica pica is "itchy itchy", and can be a real pain, from what I've read. Seasafe is a lotion that can protect from it.

Mike,
You can buy Seasafe at dive shops. Remember to put it on your whole body especially UNDER your bathingsuit since the little buggers like to "hide" underneath the suit. Do a topic search on pica pica and you can read lots of experienced posters thoughts on the subject.

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself"
T
T
So is Pica pica around in April? Pan & Dave - do you mean the dive shops on Ambergris, or do you think we could find it in our local dive shops? We live on West Coast of Canada. Thanks

C
C
i have been going down to AC all my life in july and have never gotten "pica pica" (knocking on wood).

We've gotten it in March. It doesn't seem to affect everyone; three out of six of us got it. Two of the people who didn't get it used oil to tan, so I think it's a barrier thing. It's a very itchy and unpleasant-looking rash, and it's agony if you're sunburned. The "sting" itself isn't bad, a little stronger than no-see-ums, if you know those.

OP Offline
If one gets stung by them, is there a preferred treatment?

//ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/picapica.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 250 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.