Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I was doing a google for guide books for Belize and AC, and saw one called San Pedro Cool, by Lan Sluder, Equator Publishing 2002. Are any of you familiar with it, and is it worth buying ($14.95 plus $3.00 S/H).

I already have the Moon Handbooks Belize, Frommer's Belize, and Insight Guides Belize guides, and each of them has their pros and cons. The Insight Guides Belize has some fantastic photos. Frommer's doesn't even list the Banana Beach Resort. I guess they didn't get paid off. laugh

Coming to you from the beautiful Oley Valley.
OP Offline
I should have done a search here first. I found out that it's outdated, unavailable, and a new version may be coming out this spring.

Coming to you from the beautiful Oley Valley.
I have the old San Pedro Cool and I enjoyed reading it and referring to it. If a new one comes out, I will get it, too! San Pedro changes from year to year. I'd like to see an updated map of the areas and businesses.
The guy who wrote it also writes for bigger books, so some of the same info will be there.

X
Xoe Offline
X
I have 3 of the 4 books you mention (Moon, Insight, and Sluder). If you are spending all or most of your time on AC, I think the general Belize guide books aren't worth the money. Lan Sluder's is good, but outdated; still interesting though.

IMO, the BEST source of information for travelers to San Pedro and Ambergris Caye is THIS WEB SITE. More information, current, and if you browse the links, you can find most anything you might want to know -- with illustrations and maps, as well as lots of advice and personal feedback from other travelers and residents. THANK YOU MARTY!

I expect that Lan will respond to your post soon, but I do recall him saying he's working on an update. He visits Central America often and was on AC not too long ago.

Gela's AC Motto: "All Roads Used to Lead to BC's - Now They Lead to Hurricane's!"
San Pedro Cool is certainly worth buying. In order to have all the main books on Belize, the only book remaining to buy is the Rough Guide from Peter Eltringham, and you have the collection complete.

Live and let live
G
G
Have Frommer's Belize with 2005 copyright.

Quite a few restaurants have gone by the wayside....but has the basics.

Yes, the original edition of San Pedro Cool is sold out, not available on Amazon.com or anywhere except possibly as a used book. In fact, I'm looking for a few copies to buy for my files.

I'm working on a fully revised new edition, but I'm stuck with some other projects such as the new Fodor's Belize, out later this year and entirely devoted to Belize, and a couple of other guides. I'm also going to do a .pdf version which will be free for downloading.

Ambergris Caye is changing so fast, I don't know that any printed guide can stay current more than a month or two.

--Lan Sluder
www.belizefirst.com

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
hey Lan i have a couple for sure. unused actually. never opened. i'll keep one you want any others? for sure i have one more. might find more if i dug around

thanks Xoe, i got your cd of pics, and am turning them into various forms. see the top of belizenews.com today. i change the two pics at the top each day. i made a bunch of the top images with your pics last night, thanks soooooooooooooooo much.

i love Lan't books. and not just because he is a nice person and uses some of my photos sometimes

:> and i think san pedro cool is a really cool book

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.