Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229139 02/03/07 08:11 AM
OP Offline
we might be able to rent a small power boat for a day? We are both very experienced with boats, and would treat it with the utmost respect. We want to explore the back of the island this time, and would like to pick it up in the morning, and return it that afternoon, full of gas, of course. Any ideas?

Live so that when you arise in the A.M, Satan shudders & says..
'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The problem is that there are many coral heads just below the surface, and therefore well nigh invisible. If you don't know where they are it's not a question of whether you hit something, but when.

OP Offline
I see. I was afraid that might present a problem. Would maybe a flat bottom boat work? Perhaps we could interest someone with experience to go out with us? I'd feed them well. Or, maybe we could just Kayak out. We wouldn't get as far, but would at least be able to see what's on the other side. Several trips ago, we hired a boat and captain to take us out, and we were out a couple of hours, and it was wonderful, but I felt like we were keeping him from something he'd rather be doing. At $100 US an hour, I wanted his attention focused on us, but his kids were with us as well, and they were all over the boat, and I was concerned for their safety, well, it just wasn't a great trip. Not that he wasn't gracious, but his mind was elsewhere. And, we filled up his boat with gas, as well.
Oh well, maybe this is something we'll have to wait till we get there to figure out.
Thanks, Pedro2.

'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
S&S, The back of the island not only has coral heads as Pedro2 explained. but the water gets very low at some points north. We own a boat on ambergris and have explored a lot of the island, but with an experianced captain at our wheel. We also are very experienced in boating here in N.J., But only will drive our boat in Belize where we KNOW the waters, Mostly on the ocean side from maybe 3 or 4 miles north of the cut to the southern tip of the island. There are markers where the coral heads (Rocks) are located, However what side of the markers you should travel on remains a mistry to me sometimes. Every time we visit I learn more of the water. I suggest you contact one of the tour guides and explain just what you want to do and negotiate a fee with him and you can have a very enjoyable time (No stress worrying about the waters) most guides are very flexable about there trips and will adjust to your wants and needs , you just have to make it clear as to what you expect to do that day. I hope this helps.

I want to be just like Capt Jeff when I grow up!
OP Offline
I agree, 2miles. We are anxious to explore every aspect of the island, but don't want to get into trouble.
I will ask around when we get there and see what I can come up with. Thanks for your input.

'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
JZB Offline
Have you thought about renting a wave runner? Easy to drive, can be used in only 2 feet of water and will accommodate two. You can even pack a lunch and beverages in the 'trunk'.

OP Offline
Great idea, JZB. I hadn't given that any thought. But, we are always up for new experiences. Hubby has mastered the wave runners, but I've never been on one. Someone always has to stay back with the boat and coolers, and that someone is always me!! But, this is an excellent idea, and will be sure to look into it. Thanks!!!

'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
OP Offline
Anyone know of a good place to rent wave runners?

'Oh sh t..she's awake!'
JZB Offline
On the dock in front of the spindrift hotel. Can't remember the name of them right now...

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 340 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.