Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#247658 08/28/07 03:23 AM
C
CanBrit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
After 25 years, 2 marriages and 3 kids I finally get to return to Belize. I expect a lot has changed since stationed with the RAF in the 80's. I never did get to see the cayes (was a non diver in my youth) just the bars in Belize city.. cool

So..finally here's my question. There seem to be plenty of diving ops on the caye but as usual they all seem very arranged and orderly. Are there dive ops where we can hire boats (plus a local chart or at least some headings/distances) such as a 12ft zodiac with fish finder/depth finder etc etc for more a casual days exploring interesting drop offs, walls etc? If not for hire then boat / dive op who is a little less ummm structured!!

Any recommendations on operators and any recommendations on less touristy dive spots known to you local scuba nuts would be gratefully accepted. laugh

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
You won't be able to rent a boat and "do your own thing", but you'll find operators that can be pretty flexible.

Any site that's well away from fixed moorings will be "less touristy", and on AC you'll probably find more of these to the north than elsewhere. But at present nowhere is "touristy" - there aren't many people here. A lot depends on when your visit is.

As an ex-military you may (?) be able to dive with the club currently operated by the Brit military on St. George's Caye. Andy Aspinall (+501-676-7676) currently leads it.

S
S
Belize City bars, the good ole' days with Upstairs Cafe and Raul's up the road!

St. George's Caye would be great for you! If not, some of the smaller operator's can fix you up on special charters, you'll have to hire the boat though.

Tulu specializes in this for select folks. Chuck and Robbie have a smaller boat as well to accomodate you. The diving will end up costing a bit more.

Glover's Atoll looks kinda cool too for something a bit out of the way.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
C
CanBrit Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks Pedro, that sounds like the Belize based BSAC branch and yes I'm BSAC AI. My lady and friends are also BSAC dive leaders, so could be a good match for some diving. No longer a Brit but a Cannuck with a funny accent out of Calgary so we're all General members with no branch ties.

After 6 years of Yemen/Saudi Southern Red sea / Farasans diving interupted by my more restrictive Northern pacific and freezing cold Alberta/BC rockies lakes.. I'm really looking forward to getting into some warm water again..

Thanks Sir Issac, I'll certainly check out your suggestions, incidentaly..does Mabels bar still exist? There's a dent in the floor where my head hit when I passed out, my lady doen't believe me...lol...ahhh youth had it's moments..

So just a couple of quickies guys. We'll be in AC 18th Oct for 10 nights, so..

1. Water temp expected coastal reefs and off shore reefs...skins, 2-3mm / shorties or full wets. Suspect the shorties but under 25c you oooze heat
2. Weights...are soft (shot bags) available?
(Trying to keep dive bags as light as possible even empty shot belts)
3. Nearest Deco pot. Yes..we deep dive if there's something down there worth the effort.
4. Wrecks ? (not row boats etc...real wrecks..lol)

I know there's a lot of info on the web but it's not always the best info...I trust local knowledge to a much greater degree.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.