Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
There are lots of seasoned travelers on here, so just want your opinion....we will be arriving on the island in March, we plan on doing some snorkeling, should we rent the equipment there on the island or bring equipment with us?

Thanks!!

My suggestion would be to bring it with you. Masks are notoriously different, and you do need one that fits correctly. Stop into a local dive shop and do some trying on. Most places carry snorkel sets, not too expensive. A dry snorkel would also be suggested. If your equipment leaks, you are so busy fighting that it detracts from the experience. It can be just a little cumbersome to pack, but, hey, you are probably bringing way too many clothes anyway.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
At least bring snorkel and mask. Fins are easy enough to rent, and take up a lot of room.

P
pedro2
pedro2
P
If your vision is anything short of 20/20 you may benefit enormously from prescription lenses. But these need to be ordered 1-2 months ahead of time, for your own suitable mask.

This only applies to people with short sight (near vision). No prescription lens will help you if you're long sighted, though for diving when you need to read instruments there are magnifying inserts you can get.

We (Protech) have some masks with generic prescription lenses that aren't ideal but certainly can help. I believe some others also have some, but I don't know who.

Fins are indeed easy to rent, unless you have very (unusually) small or large feet.

Correct use of a snorkel isn't obvious and some training is useful. Really experienced snorkelers often prefer a simple bent tube to the more elaborate self-draining or "dry" snorkels.

I always just bring my mask and snorkel and leave the fins at home and rent those when I get there, it leaves so much more room in the suitcase!!!

B
B
What about fishing gear? Are rods available for rent for dock or shore fishing?

Bring your own Gear. I'm not sure if it's available for rent, I always bring my own.But if it is would you really want to fish with gear that is used over and over by people who have no idea how to take proper care of it? Or worse don't really care if they mess it up while using it!

Never Use money to measure wealth
S
S
I brought my own mask, snorkle, and fins. My fins fit perfectly in my zipped front compartment of my suitcase (that NOTHING else seems to fit in) and didn't take up any space for my clothes. I'm nearsighted and have prescription lenses in my mask so I like to bring my own. There are plenty of places you can rent tho- ask around. Have fun! Take lots of pictures and be sure to post them on this board (Photo forum).

do I have to get shots to go there? 8o)
Just got back from AC. I took a collapsable fishing rod in my suitcase along with a small assortment of hooks, lures, split shot etc.( Also took a cheap pair of needle nose pliers to pull the hooks out of those wierd fish you catch that you can not identify or are afraid to touch!!)It was fun heading out on the pier every morning and evening making a few casts. Also kayaked out to the reef and did really well fishing out there. I had a friendly competition with the gal who cleaned our rooms whom I would meet out on the pier all of the time. All she had was a spool of fishing line with a split shot and a hook on the end. She would always use a piece of sardine and fish the heck out of me!!! There is a place called Captain Hooks in town that rents rods, reels and all teh stuff you need. When I went home, all my hooks were rusted along with my rod that I ended up giving to my fishing partner, she appreciated the rod but told me in spanish that she did not need it!!

Take all of your own gear, it is very convienient to have it all with you. It does not really take up much room in your suitcase either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 281 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.