Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#361954 12/18/09 12:45 AM
L
larryc Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I'm moving down with my large yellow lab, he's used to running on 20 plus acres with many ponds. How are dogs treated by the local residents on the beach and town? I'm assuming that we all pick up their poop -ok

I'm figuring he will get loose once in awhile and he just likes to be around people.

I have had a lab here for 20+ years no problems other than his radical political views.
It still seems like wide open spaces for the labs because they have so much swimming room.
recent years we use a leash in town.
No problems with dogs freedom in my opinion.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
A
A
are you kidding nobody picks up poop. most don't pickup plastic, bottles, or for that matter any trash.

S
S
Just keep him out of the lagoons and away from the crocs - luckily my dog doesn't like swimming. There are some quite large ones in my area (up North, next to Lazy Croc) that are rumored to have killed several large dogs. My advice? Don't let him just run around 24 /7

Actually quite a few of us do pick up poop. The more of us who do it, the more of a normal thing it will become. I have always believed in poop karma - for every poop you leave behind, you will be guaranteed to step in one.

Have fun with your dog on the beaches. He'll have a blast.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

My dog swims and everyday, and when I jog hes runs and swims in the lagoon.
Its been a lot of years and no crock attacks yet.
I think its rumors...
however there is 'tripod' the three legged dog , hes not a rumor.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
When Pepe (my yellow pot licker) and Grita (my black lab) were pups they often went swimming in the lagoon (where Reef Village now sits). Then the road ran right along side the lagoon and people in their golf carts would get very concerned.
One day I found two perfectly round holes in Grita; one in the cheek and one in the neck below the jaw bone. It took me a while to figure it out but since the dogs never again went in the lagoon it must have been crock tooth marks.
They do love frolicking in the shallow areas along the beaches hunting for fish and crabs. They have never caught any but they do enjoy the chase.
I never cared to have a dog couped up in a town home in the suburbs but love being able to have them run, especially along with the golf cart.
The other important thing they are the best protection possible. No one comes into my place until I have a hold on the dogs.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I have sutured dogs that got into a disagreement with crocs from the lagoon side, and I do know of some who didn't make it.

G
G
I agree wholeheartedly with "poop karma"! I, too, am traveling to Belize, (CC), next month, for a month, with my large companion and Service Dog. I live in a 200+ apartment complex and pick up after him without question. (I'll be sure to bring a lot of poop bags! Thanks for the post...now I know a) to keep him away from the lagoons and b) to keep him leashed in the village. He loves to swim (Newfi/Lab mix) and I'm very excited about him having the opportunity to actually SWIM in the sea (as opposed to the sound)!

"...not all who wander are lost..." Bilbo Baggins
L
larryc Offline OP
OP Offline
L
what about fleas and de-worming? Should i come prepared? we just don't have these problems here in Oregon but when we go to Baja its totally different story

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.