Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
Hello. Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced Boat Captain or service that works lagoon side? For example, going from Sunset Grill over to Costa del Sol? And is it reasonable to negotiate a flat fee for the trip similar to taxi cabs here in the US if you will be using the service for a week. I have been mostly getting a per person rate for the 4 or 5 minute boat ride that really adds up for a family just to go over and grab some lunch and then dinner on a daily basis. Thank you for any advice or referrals!

Trysh

Trysh, unfortunately there is no such thing as inexpensive boat transportation outside of the regular ferry route. And all that stuff, those various unfinished developments on the West Side of the lagoon is strictly boat accessible only and not part of the ferry route.

(I guess someone called the area "Costa Del Sol", sounds better than a truthful description, "Costa Del A Lotta for da Boatta" I suppose)

T
T
Not sure if the Blue Lotus is open again but I know they used to have a ferry service to the Costa Del Sol.

T
OP Offline
T
Chris... you made me laugh... I knew I should have taken Spanish classes in school. smile There is so much business like the golf cart rentals, taxis, etc. I would have thought there would be alot of local guys with boats offering the boat taxi service for extra income.

Trysh

Blue Lotus has been running ads recently - I am fairly sure they are up and running for season.

Certainly boat travel is not expensive (whew have you seen the cost of gas lately?) but there is quite a bit of traffic buzzing around in the lagoon and the Bay.

You should definitely be able to find somebody to charge you a reasonable fee to go back and forth to Costa Del Sol. If you are staying at Brahma Blue they provide some type of regular service back and forth from town for their guests.

Unfortunately when you choose a remote or "private" place to stay that exclusivity comes with a price tag.

There are a few fellows that own boats on the lagoon - between the co-op/Texaco station and Sunset Grill that might be able to give you a decent rate for travel - but it sounds like you might need somebody that has a tour guide license and/or a commercial passenger license - and those qualifications come with an additional fee I am afraid.

P
P
Originally Posted by tryshesq
Chris... you made me laugh... I knew I should have taken Spanish classes in school. smile There is so much business like the golf cart rentals, taxis, etc. I would have thought there would be alot of local guys with boats offering the boat taxi service for extra income.

Trysh

There would be if anyone went over there. I would take a guess that you and your group will be lucky to see any other paying guests on that side of the island during your trip.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.