Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Hello all,

We're building a condo in San Pedro, and since we'll be on the first floor of the building, I'd like to install natural bamboo window shades. Is anything like this available in either San Pedro, Belize City, or over the border in Mexico, or is this something I need to plan to purchase and ship from the US?

Here's the type of shades I'd like (or similar): Levolor Natural Shades

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BelizeBoundGal; 02/20/11 02:09 PM.

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
S
S
They do have a small selection at Mirabs (I saw some at Caye Supplies also), however, the sizes are very limited and the prices being much higher (at least double) than the US, so you might be better off shipping / bringing them with you.

Natural bamboo window shades in a venetian-blind style are available at Mirab in Belize City. They are $135 Bz ($67 US) each for a 3-foot wide blind (60 inches long - can be downsized easily). You can get them in two colors - light oak or walnut.

They also have some roller shades that are more like what you show in the website.
If you are near the beach I'd recommend strongly against the type you have selected, due to problems with the strings and wheels that make them go up and down - between the weather and the wind you tend to end up with a mess.

K
K
We can make you some roller shades here at Sew What. We make whatever size you need, they have a continuous bead chain, and I have a few different fabrics with different levels of transparency. PM me if you're interested in more information.

Kate Vincent
Sew What !
226-4255
[email protected]
G
G
I would love for you to be able to do your window treatments here on the Island, and please check in with Kate, and look around at Caye Supplies. Other decorators will be available too. Check in with the message boarders for the biggies!
Lamps and lighting are hard to get here. Furniture options are good to check on with the locals, too.
It isn't intuitive about what to ship and what to do here. I would suggest that this is a good topic! It is so important to support the local folks that need your work.
So open it up!
Ask who can do what, and ask what is impossible...so you can ship it.
Give up on what you think you want...and ask the locals for ideas.

OP Offline
Thanks so much for this information! I'll check out Kate's blog. We are a ways before actually needing anything, but I'm trying to do my research up front. Even when something is cheaper initially in the US, by the time we pay to ship it to Belize and pay duty, it may not be less, so anything we can get locally in San Pedro or other places in Belize, we'd prefer to.

GwenA, you are right that it is hard to know what is available there, especially from afar, and because fewer places have web sites than here in the US. So I will keep inquiring as things come up - thanks! I would much rather support local businesses and try to do the same here in the US whenever possible too.

Seems like there's a good opportunity ripe for someone to open up a lamp shop there! What do people who need lamps do there? Is that something I should strongly consider shipping down?

Thanks much!

Last edited by BelizeBoundGal; 02/20/11 08:31 PM.

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
L
L
I have used Kate at Sew What many times,and highly recommend her. She has a lot of experience in what is practical here in the tropics. Have also used Emma Carter for curtains,pillows , bedding etc. She does beautiful work. Lamps are limited, but someone could make a killing suppling lampshadeses.

R.B. Mernitz
Kate has an amazing workshop and I've seen a lot of her work at resorts around the island. Excellent work.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

A
A
We use Sew What! in our properties, Kate does excellent work, very professional.

Ana Lausen
Ambergris Vacation Rentals
www.ambergrisvacationrentals.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.