Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#430583 02/15/12 01:56 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I've been reading about the fishing charters in Ambergris Caye and they sound terrific. I was thinking of bringing along an ultralite rod and spinning reel. Is fishing from piers allowed? Is there any fishing action? I don't want to waste luggage space on gear and tackle if I'm not going to use it. Thanks for any advice you can share.

Gully Jaye
Lots of fish under docks. Many a dinner caught from the end of a pier.

I also see fisher-people out in kayaks near the reef.

Some folks have made their under-dock areas snorkeler-friendly (with fish habitat / mini-reefs) and in that case they ask that you not fish from these docks. Docks that are set up this way generally have notices asking you not to fish.

wading into the shallow for Bonefish is very popular. I pass two or three every morning on my way to work.
Bone fishing can cost a couple of hundred US dollars for half day with a guide from a boat on the flats but you can also have some luck just walking out from the beach in the front of the island.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Its amazing the Bonefishing industry has caught on to be so popular in recent years.
Just the fashion aspect of it must be a great business, these guys are decked in Bonefishing shirts, bonefishing pants, bonefishing shoes, wearing bonefishing glasses and bonefishing face masks, bone fishing hats:-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Ditto on comments above.

Dont go too ultra light on tackle, bones and even small to medium snapper will put one hell of a bend in a really light rod. You're going to want something with enough backbone to head them off. I dont mean a broomstick but IMO leave the ultra light trout rod you use with 2# test at home. A 2500 Reel with loaded with a decent "smooth style" quality braided line about 30# would be good. You can stack the braid with mono backing to cut your cost down but I'd bring a second spool with lighter say 20# braid. I use a 2500 Sustain, loaded with green 30# ultraspider, over 12# green Berkeley BG on a extra fast medium G Loomis travel rod.

If youre not a fan of direct tie with braid then bring a couple of leader spools of Flouro 10# and #15 or maybe even 8# if th ebones are picky. Light plastic grubs and jigs, feathered or not, a castmaster or two, silver rapala, and a small surface plug if youre really daring (tarpon). Small Barries will cut your line unmercifully and shred your plastics so be prepared for the loss.

I'd say some egg sinkers to a 1/4 oz (max for pier and shore), a dozen rings to tie off leader and sinkers from the main line and your leader, or use a uni knot and rubber band. Bring some decent circles, gammies or owners, your call, dont be too shy about size; the snapper have big mouths, but use their front teeth to pick up the bait. You have to let them run a bit to eat it. Don't swing, let the fish set it themselves; if you're used to circles you know what I mean. The local just carlisles and o'shaunessy's; I dont know how they swing and hook as many as they do (well they're locals thats why!). I prefer circles because of the corner hook and I can let the little guys go get bigger, or a bigger guy go if I'm not hungry.

As to bait (which is typically frozen pilchards/sardines) its available from local markets for abut 3$bz a bag but you better have a tolerant wife and/or a good freezer cuz theyre pretty gamey even from the outset.

A pair of pliers and hook remover, leader snipper and youre pretty much good to go. Best of luck!

PS If you fish at night from a pier with bait on the bottom be prepared to bust off your line before you lose the whole shooting match to the southern ray which will undoubteldy gooble that smelly sardine...

S
S
X2 on the circle hook as Bear says... first and foremost, it makes it a bit harder for the hook to be swallowed/lets you release 'em easier if that's your plan. If you're using artificials, you can have a lot of fun chasing bonefish w/ a 2" Gulp shrimp rigged weedless on a circle hook with a split shot a foot above it. Lot's of fun fishing to be had from piers and wading the shore. Don't forget the Belikin!!!

elbert #430616 02/15/12 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by elbert
Its amazing the Bonefishing industry has caught on to be so popular in recent years.
Just the fashion aspect of it must be a great business, these guys are decked in Bonefishing shirts, bonefishing pants, bonefishing shoes, wearing bonefishing glasses and bonefishing face masks, bone fishing hats:-)

Kinda like those silly guys diving. You know the one's with the dive masks, dive gloves, dive suits,dive tanks, dive BC's, dive fins, dive bags, dive knives....you get the idea grin

G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for all the great advice. Hadn't thought of circles and that's a good idea. Hooked into a ray once in Florida -- at least I think I did. Never got it off the bottom and lost a lot of line before I realized what was going on.

Gully Jaye
Jeff's suggestion about the split shot weedless rig for bones is really excellent. You want to break some ground for yourself? try a bubble and fly. I have no idea how that will work!

Bait fishing with the idea of C&R in mind, even with a circle, will eventually result in a mortality. Besides, those frozen sardines are just too friggin smelly for domestic harmony. More often as not I'll get turned out of the house like a dog that's rolled in a dead

We are lucky to walk the shores we do...You're going to love it.

S
S
I would like to suggest you fish the lagoon. We just got back from a week of fishing and we concentrated on the lagoon this year. There are tons of places north of the bridge where you can access the lagoon if you are careful. The new Grand Belizean Estates road is also a great place to fish. Head up the road towards Portifino and fish the openings as you go.

We caught quite a few decent bonefish in water 6 inches deep on ultralight spinning gear. Tons of fun! Just a note, there are a lot of barracuda in the water so be prepared to loose some lures unless you are using a steel leader.

Good luck. No mater where you fish, it will be more fun then home.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,026
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.