The San Pedro chapter of the Belize Red Cross is in full swing, with their first on-going fundraiser commencing on Monday, March 19th. Donation boxes were dispatched to five key collection locations here on the island. Funds collected will serve to assist the local chapter of the Belize Red Cross as well as to assist in its overall goal.

The presentation of the donation boxes was launched around 1PM with the first two being placed at the Tropic Air Boarding station, which is considered one of the main gateways to Ambergris Caye. The presentations were done by Belize Red Cross representative in San Pedro, Laurie Norton. John E. Grief III, President of Tropic Air, was on hand to receive the donation boxes, and spoke of Tropic's reason for teaming with the Belize Red Cross. "There is never any controversy with the Red Cross. Every time you hear any kind of emergencies in any parts of the world, the Red Cross is always there, so we decided we would support them." Tropic air has pledged to place as many boxes as are needed by the Red Cross at their various branches and encourages other businesses to do the same. "We're gonna put as many boxes as they need. We could put them wherever they want for as long as they want. I absolutely would encourage all businesses to get involved. I know that the Bowen group of companies are involved heavily and that will be a great push. For the reasons I mentioned already, I think it's a very worthy cause and the monies donated actually gets to the projects intended for, instead of becoming tied up in some bureaucracy somewhere. For these reasons, we would encourage other businesses to help out."

Click here for the rest of the story and more pictures in the San Pedro Sun!