Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
San Pedro Branch of the Belize Red Cross is looking for 12 - 15 people to form a Community Disaster Response Team.Training date information will be coming soon, we need interested parties who are willing to receive training first. If you or someone you know would make a good CDRT please email [email protected] Your help in getting the word out and working together to create a prepared and Safe Ambergris Caye for residents and tourists is much appreciated.

Community Disaster Response Team (CDRT):

Following a disaster there is always a period when the emergency services and first responders will be unable to react. This may be due to the size of the area affected, communication problems or impassable roads. The Community Disaster Response Team (CDRT) is designed to complement and strengthen the existing role of NEMO within the community by helping to increase its capacity. The Red Cross trains and equips Community Disaster Response Teams (CDRT) in each community to enable them to carry out emergency first response when a disaster occurs.

CDRT role and function:

The main role of the CDRT is to assist with increased community resilience by:

� 1. Working closely with its local NEMO to prepare for and provide assistance during any disaster that is within the scope of the CDRT's capacity.

� 2. Helping the community to prepare for and respond to disasters through public educational initiatives.

� 3. Developing and maintaining a strategic community disaster plan.

� 4. Assisting community members with the development of a Family Emergency Plan

� 5. Mobilising residents to participate in community-based risk reduction activities

� 6. Implementing, updating and testing of this plan

CDRT Objectives:

� Preparedness: to assist their local NEMO with community empowerment and resilience in order to better prepare for an respond to emergency situations.

� Response: to save lives and property by providing where possible, first response to self, family and community during times of emergencies and disaster.

� Relief: to assist in relief and assessment after a disaster as directed by NEMO

CDRT Structure:

The CDRT functions as a single unit with a leader and Deputy Leader appointed by its members. Additional roles including e.g. Secretary, Treasurer and Community Relations Officer can be identified and selected as necessary. The desired minimum membership is 12 with a maximum of 25 persons. The aim of the group is to ensure diverse representation of the community on the CDRT.

CDRT Training:

The teams learn fire prevention, basic search and rescue, First Aid, initial damage assessment, shelter management, psychosocial support, radio communication. This three to four days training includes participation from the Fire Department, health professionals, NEMO and other partners.

Develop, test and review disaster plan:

The CDRT are responsible of developing a Community Disaster Plan, which they do under the guidance of the Red Cross and NEMO, which defines clearly each member's role and function, the links between CDRT and government search & rescue services, as well as the routine according to which the emergency operations will be carried out. This plan is tested through a simulation exercise and reviewed on a yearly basis.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

P
P
We are in from Scott and Jodie at the Palapa Bar What a great cause!!

OP Offline
Thanks Scott and Jodie I know you both have invaluable skills between fighter fighter and nurse and will be a great asset to this effort.

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

I'd love to help out, TG. Please let me know where/when. I just hope the training/meetings are during daytime or non-show nights so I can make it!

The Immortal Words Of Socrates: I Drank What?
OP Offline
Fantastic Karaoke Joe, I have you on the list and will keep you posted.

Time to start another excel file - sigh smile

OP Offline
Renae M. Berg has also signed on to become a CRDT and Diane Campbell has put me in touch with 2 excellent candidates that are moving here in June. Thanks for all the positive response smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.