Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#459839 03/09/13 01:15 PM
C
carlyt Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I vacationed in Ambergris Caye a few years ago and began to think about retiring there. I hear that the costs are substantially higher than in other parts of Belize. Is this the case? I noticed that Belize was selected as a top retirement location by several organizations the latest that I found this morning is at retirementandgoodliving.com/best-retirement-locations-abroad-2013/

carlyt #459840 03/09/13 01:41 PM
R
R
Ive just retired here, and although costs are higher here you dont need a car and all the costs associated with running one. You can get by pretty well on $2k/month it really depends on how much you want to pay for accomodation. If you buy local produce and drinks this saves , buying imported anything costs much more , such as wine ive seen as much as a 6 fold difference in wine prices. Also depends on if you buy or rent a home. Property prices are high here on the Island

carlyt #459847 03/09/13 03:48 PM
Carl - Yes - goods cost more here as we are an island - but it is worth it!
Your life-style will dictate your budget. Eating out and drinking at bars adds up. However some people consider that their social life.
Produce is more expensive here than on the mainland but is very natural and healthy. This also equates to spoils faster. It does't pay to 'stock-up.' If you live the European way - buy today's food today - you will not waste so much and have better quality.
Lots of foods are very seasonal so - like mangos - pig out when they are available. I especially like the carrots here. We call them UGLY CARROTS as they are not perfectly shaped and all one color. But OMG - when you peel and cook them and add a dash of salt and butter you will think this is desert.
It talkes 20 minutes to cook rice and the carrots cook in exactly the same amount of time.
Fresh fish is just that - FRESH - while all the chickens are frozen. Go figure.
Come on down and live the good life.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
carlyt #459865 03/10/13 06:32 AM
D
D
In Maui the expression fresh fish means fish that doesn't stink yet.
In the Cayes you can get Fresh Fish.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.