Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#500566 01/31/15 05:27 PM
D
dschick Offline OP
OP Offline
D
My husband and I are moving to san Pedro. When moving there, what are the things that you wish you would have brought on your move?

Dawn Schick
S
S
A pre-nup...

N
N
Good quality small electric appliances and saucepans for the kitchen; robust hifi amp/receiver; visitors book;

My resolve was to not bring anything that didn't go in my suitcase. It's a terrible pain dealing with shipping, taxes and customs when you can simply buy it here. Nick is correct in that some things of finer quality can't be found but just be aware after you get it past the customs and on the island you will realize it cost you double what you purchased it for. ..and if your living on the island an expensive oven corrodes just as fast as an inexpensive one.
To answer your question directly I wish I had brought more money because I spent triple what I budgeted for in the first year. It seemed to rain unexpected expenses.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
I agree with Elbert. Simon makes a point, but let's hope you don't need to go there.

I have found plenty of good small appliances at a decent price in Mirab in Belize City. It used to be that you couldn't find good bed linens here but Mirab stocks them now. If you have a special preference for color or pattern you may still want to shop and bring, but the basics are there. BTW, intense thread count sheets are generally too hot for this climate. Recommend no more than 350.

Have found nice cookware, but good kitchen knives remain very difficult to locate here. Would pack those in my moving kit.

The items I stock up on annually from the US are contact lens solution, bulk generic aspirin, reading glasses, ink pens, underware, printer cartridges.

Originally Posted by SimonB
A pre-nup...

I hadn't thought of that one. shocked

I have determination of the spinal cord and could not find a tempurpedic mattress with a positional bed frame. That was in 2012. I agree completely with Diane Campbell when it comes to sheets. I brought down my 1000 count and within 30 days went to a hotel supplier here on the island and bought all new sheets. Sent the others back with family so they could use them in the USA. I also brought down all my Le Creuset cookware since I had seen what was available. The Forum was very helpful when it came to what my Husband had to give up in the garage. Some on the Forum recommended a good generator and wet vac which has come in handy more times than I thought they would. So a BIG THANK YOU to all of you wonderful Forum seniors. You helped me, now, I get to pay it forward.
heart

D
dschick Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you all so much for your input!!

See you soon!

Dawn Schick
Good sunscreen; it's quite pricey on the island.
Good cookware if you like to cook.
Comfortable walking/running shoes.
Laptop and other electronics gear you use -- very pricey south of the border.
Kindle or other e-reader; though I did enjoy trading paperbacks at the Aquarius used book store/hair styling place on Middle Street also.

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
B
B
New on the forum. My wife and I want to move to AC within 5-10 years. I'm confused. Is it not possible to buy something online and have it shipped in? I'm sure the shipping is expensive, but I would think it would be cheaper than some of the prices I've seen on the island.

Brett
Counting the days until I retire...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.