Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

With the upgrade of the Northern Ambergris Caye road, several issues have arisen, the most prominent being speeding. This past year saw the pavement of three miles of road from the Sir Barry Bowen Bridge to Belizean Shores Resort, as well as the widening of four miles of road from Belizean Shores to Blue Reef Resort. The improved accessibility for vehicular traffic is resulting in speeding and at time, reckless driving which can result in serious accidents.

Most recently, The San Pedro Sun was made aware of a damaged utility pole in the Grand Belize Estates Area, which was allegedly broken by a reckless dump truck. This is only one of many reported incidents.

These issues have been brought to the attention of The San Pedro Town Council (SPTC) and San Pedro Traffic Department. SPTC indicated that they are in the process of placing speed bumps along the road as well as several traffic signs in order to reduce such reckless driving. SPTC also explained that traffic wardens do patrol the Northern Ambergris Caye Road but they are not permanently stationed there as their presence is required to control traffic within the town's perimeters.

SPTC is asking residents of North Ambergris Caye to assist them by reporting traffic related incidents.

San Pedro Sun

the quarry trucks are FLYING down the middle of the road.
ALL the time.

With an attitude.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
P
To the extent I figured yesterday they must be paid on how many runs they make!!!

Yes, That's what I guessed, I think they also hurry to cross the bridge in groups. They are scary.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Originally Posted by elbert
Yes, That's what I guessed, I think they also hurry to cross the bridge in groups. They are scary.

Perhaps their employers should be fined for encouraging reckless driving.

There is one resort-owned pickup truck that goes even faster ---- driver seems to think he's at the Grand Prix.

S
S
I gave one of the truck drivers a ride to town the other day on his day off... he worked for the actual Co hired to do the road, which I guess has but one of the trucks (white one) on site. He gets paid by the hour. Most all of the trucks you see are ind contractors though who get paid by the run. I bet if it was hourly, they'd be hard pressed to hit 10 mph.

The other day while driving south to town, as I approached the turn by the "Bamboo House" a cart coming north flipped in front of us. The driver, drinking a beer/smoking a cigar, simply took the turn WAY too fast and the cart listed and flipped on it's side. Did I mention his wife and two young kids were also in the cart? Amazingly, lord knows how... all were relatively ok, though the kids were both crying and scared to get back in the cart. (Note, the dad never put his cigar down through the whole episode, putting him high in contention for D-bag of the year.) Safe to say if a truck/taxi/resort van had been coming from the other direction (rather than us) the outcome would have been a lot messier.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.