Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#23121 06/19/00 08:48 AM
91LSC Offline OP
OP Offline
What is the problem with swimming right off of the beaches in Belize? I've read about the sea grass, but don't understand the swimming. Are there any resorts with a sandy bottom beach like other caribbean islands?

Quite a few of the hotels remove sea grass from an area of their beach or at the end of their dock.

The seagrass is there because of the barrier reef (the longest in the Western or Northern Hemisphere) which reduces wave energy and allows the build-up of sea grass, which is like a nursery for some kinds of sea life. Most other Caribbean areas aren't so lucky as to have this barrier reef -- they essentially have a dead zone off shore.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
Many of the resorts have a sandy bottom swimming area, they just happen to be at the end of the dock where the water is deep enough to swim. Sea grass grows in the shallow water and can hide sea urchins and such, but I don't find it a problem. Many of the local people swim from shore. Due to the reef the water is very shallow on the beach and you have to walk out a bit to get deep enough for swimming. I like the sea grass it shows a healthy eco-environment doesn't it?
Belize it!

H
H
I don't mind the sea grass. It is natural. What I'd like to see change is the garbage on the beaches! What's the problem? Can't the town afford to hire people to pick the garbage up daily? Maybe this is possible?
Any ideas?

Hannah,
My husband and I asked about daily beach clean up while we were there and one of the locals said they have the means to do it, it's just that they can't seem to find anyone that wants the job. Someone will take the job and then quit. Apparently, they schedule it in the very early morning hours so the beach is clean when everyone else gets up. We found our stretch of beach clean and raked everyday, so I was happy, but some areas weren't so lucky.

Japplebee......exactly where did you stay and what trips or excursions did you take?

thats the guy who goes to belize message board and writes horrible stuff, trying to knock down the tourism, supposedly.

He haunts all the forums. Talks about broken glass on the beaches, cops with guns, empty hotels, horrible, its just horrible. he knows all the trigger words to frighten folks. He describes hell, I know lotsa folks who live and visit Belize who have yet to find his hell.

Marty,
I'm confused... Who's Japplebee? Is that who we talked to about the beach? Is Japplebee the bad guy?????

The beaches and streets are as clean as anyone could keep them. I was impressed on how clean they were, considering how many people use them minute by minute. I live near a beach in S. Texas, lots of trash washes ashore and difficult to control. It is an hourly clean up situation. Ambergis is the greatest, do not be fearful, it is the BEST. I am an old lady and not selling anything, therefore I only state the truth.

Dare To Deviate
Hmmmm....folks like Japplebee should be more concerned with posting to message boards that concern what is being done to stop the dumping of trash in Caribbean waters by large vessels. Were do you think all this trash comes from. I know because I walk these beaches everyday and you would be surprised what you find. Items that are not sold in Belize along with about a gazillion tons of plastic and even some medical waste!
If you want to complain Japplebee...then I suggest that you go to the source of the matter. Belize is trying very hard to keep it's environment clean and appealing to tourist. It is a 24 hour a day job! If you have complaints about your accomadations, then maybe you didn't plan your trip well, and you should take your complaints to the resort you stayed at. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I didn't like my accomodations.....I'd move....I wouldn't let it ruin my entire vacation. It amazes me how YOU seem to be the only one that didn't have a good time. Let the numbers speak for themselves!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.