Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#27346 09/21/00 12:55 AM
O
OP Offline
O
Hi- this is Orionhunter- I will move to AC.
I stumbled onto a website written by Diane Cambell(sounds like a very intelligent lady with some very good ideas on how to build your home in Belize.)MY problem is---- I want to build a Deltec home on my lot, and she says there is no way Belize is going to allow this because of their lumber business.Does anyone know if this is true? How to get around it? Anyone interested in viewing their website it's www.deltechomes.com Sorry I don't know how to get you there by underlining it. Sandshaker-- I'm hoping you have some input on this.

#27347 09/21/00 02:18 AM
Sounds fab.

Gone fishing!!
#27348 09/21/00 06:14 AM
Hello OrionHunter,
Assuming you will have to pay freight, tax and duty on the house.....you could build the same thing for less here.

Check Lans site to be sure about paying duty if your moving here. He knows about these things. http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

I would think the freight alone would be exhorbant.
How much square footage do you want....and how fancy?

#27349 09/21/00 06:49 AM
OrionHunter,
I visited the website and recognise this company now. I have an information packet from these people in storage in the states...LOL
The info is about 5 years old though. Anyway, I looked at the plans and printed some of them out. I will ask our builder for a ballpark figure on what it would cost to build this here.
We have some very beautiful hardwoods here and these plans are simple to do.

There are a couple resorts, White Sands and Casa Caribe, as well as a few private home owners that have built on this concept so they are familiar with it here.

Part of the selling package for this company is the energy efficiency of these homes.
Here...you would be paying for something you don't need.
We don't have winters....and you want the house to be as open as possible for airflow year round. The design of this house allows you to leave some of the interior walls at 8 feet...in other words...not all the way to the ceiling....so air can pass over them from room to room.
This plan would be perfect for here, but I think you could build it cheaper here.

I'll get back to you on the pricing.
Ask Diane about this too. I'm sure she can give you some feedback.

Thanks for reminding me about this. I may just want to build one of these myself....LOL

[This message has been edited by Sandshaker (edited 09-21-2000).]

#27350 09/21/00 07:35 AM
I know of a few people who have imported prefab homes into Belize. Most of these are small resorts with tax concessions, so they did not have to pay import duties. One that comes to mind is Nautical Inn in Seine Bight (Placencia). Ben Routi, from Arizona, brought in octagonal pre-fab units from Yadkinville, NC, and had them erected by local carpenters. It turned out okay, although the units definitely don't look very Belizean. (Nautical Inn is now for sale.)

Actually, Belize's version of prefab are the small cabins the Mennonites build and sell. You'll see them all over Belize. Green Parrot cottages in Maya Beach is one tourist resort example.

Overall, though, it seems to me it makes more sense to build locally. If you bring in a prefab unit, you're paying the high cost of U.S. labor which went into the construction and then you're paying the high cost of shipping heavy materials by sea and on top of that you're paying high import duties. Then, you have to train local carpenters and workers to erect a type of building they aren't familiar with.

I have toured many beautiful new homes built for expats in Belize. Most are far nicer for less money than could have been built in the U.S.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#27351 09/21/00 10:13 AM
Yep...thanks Lan...my thoughts exactly.

Orion....I lied...it isn't Deltec that I have info on.
After posting this morning...I started thinking...what was the name of that company?
So I did a search and I found the company I have info on.
Topsider out of North Carolina.
They have a great web site, complete with plans and a feature for free estimates.
http://www.topsider.com/index.html

Here's a little hint. I don't know about all, but most of the builders here can take the simple plans they have on both of these websites....and build the house straight from that.
They don't need all those fancy plans....they just know what goes where and do it....LOL
You may need one good set with electrical and plumbing specs in order to get your permits.
It wouldn't be hard to do these plans at all.

Let me know what you decide.
Now I'm interested....LOL

#27352 09/21/00 10:59 AM
Orionhunter: Have ya ever seen the movie, Mosquito Coast? Check it out. I get the feeling your filming a sequel.

Gone fishing!!
#27353 09/21/00 11:26 AM
OH I am interested in the Diane Campbell site. Do you know what the address is?

#27354 09/21/00 01:17 PM
O
OP Offline
O
BILL---you are not Harrison Ford---yes--- I've seen the movie--- STUFF IT. Positive input would help---grow up!!!

#27355 09/21/00 01:25 PM
O
OP Offline
O
TO ALL (except Bill)---very busy now, just dropped in to see if anyone answered. Need time to formulate reply. One concern is (Diane Cambell)that wood used to build is often not treated or aged. Have no qualms about having it built locally(well some) if they can do the same work and quality.
Thanks Sandshaker, get back to you shortly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 273 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.