Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31062 11/07/00 01:36 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I'll be down in AC for my first time with a group from my dive club. I plan to do lots of diving while I'm there next week.

Anyway, I've got a few questions:

1. What's the weather typically like this time of year (mid November)?
2. How hard is it to schedule dive boats this time of year? (We've got one boat a day but I'd like to do more diving.)
3. What does it typically cost for meals (in $US)? Nothing fancy but good enough to eat.
4. What kind of beach diving is available on AC? I've heard conflicting reports as to whether you can even do any beach diving (we're staying at the Mayan Princess).
5. What about touring the ruins (our non-diving day)? How easy is it to arrange this for a day trip and what does it typically cost ($US)?
6. Are most bars casual? (We plan on having some fun at night.)

That's about it for now. Thanks for any and all help!

The Rickster

#31063 11/07/00 01:42 PM
The weather is awesome, depending on the size of the group I'd schedule ahead for boats: //AmbergrisCaye.com/diving/

You can eat good from a buck US at Antojitos Santelmo on up, figure 3-6 us for lunch, 5-10 for dinner. //AmbergrisCaye.com/restaurants/

as for beach diving, its not really possible downtown... a little under the piers. I'd get in a boat for sure.

Touring to the mainland, ruins, jungle river trips, is awesome. $40-125us depending on the trip: //AmbergrisCaye.com/tours/

bars are casual, for sure.

#31064 11/07/00 01:50 PM
F
F
1.beautiful- 80s
2.not hard, shop around for the best deal-try the blue hole dive shop or coral beach dive shop
3.less than $10us for a good dinner-less for lunch and breakfast
4.none, long swim to reef,plus many boats to get run over by
5.altun ha $75us,cool place. lamanai $125us,killer place-book with willie at searious, best boat and an all around cool guy.
6. everything is casual (shoes? we don need no stinkin shoes!)wing tips and ties not allowed.

belize it mon!!

this meesage created by 100% recycled electrons
#31065 11/07/00 03:15 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Cool beans. Thanks for the great info. I'm looking forward to next week!

The Rickster

#31066 11/08/00 11:35 AM
P
P
We also will be on AC Thursday (tomorrow) until the 16th. Have been reading messages, and maybe we'll get to see PamelaLee (same time frame as us) and The Rickster, arriving same day, I believe. We'll be at Caribe Island Resort, and as soon as I finish this note I'm shutting down computer and heading for Tampa where we will overnight, then fly out in a.m. on Continental through Houston and on to BC and a cool Belikin at Jet's Bar. We assume Jet and all survived OK. Then, of course, it's on to SP. Hope that boat is off the runway by now. Anxious to see all, share a drink, perhaps. There'll be six of us, look for the guy with the white hair and say hello.

#31067 11/08/00 12:13 PM
C
C
My husband, daughter, sin-in-law and I will be meeting Pick (my father) and mom on Friday at the Caribe Island Resort. I CAN'T WAIT! It has gotten cold and windy in Colorado, ready for warm weather and a rum punch! Rickster, this may be your first trip, but I guarantee you it will not be your last! Bob and I hope we get to meet all of you. Carole

Carole
#31068 11/08/00 02:33 PM
G
OP Offline
G
If anyone is going to be down there next week (11/12-11/19) just email me if you'd like to get together. I'll be down there with a group and I'm sure some of us will be up for going out after a good day's diving for a little out gassing... ;-)

email: [email protected]

Also, I've got a few more questions pertaining to money.

1. How much money should I bring?
2. Does everyone accept $US?
3. Does everyone accept credit cards (for the most part)?
4. Are there ATM's down there and what kind of currency do they dispense?

I don't usually like to carry a lot of money with me but I have no idea what it's like down there. Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

The Rickster

#31069 11/08/00 03:28 PM
GadgetRick,
I won't be down there, but thought I would help you out with your money questions.
Yes, they take US money. No problem.
$1 US = $2 BZ. Super easy to convert. I suggest travelers checks. They took them everywhere when we went. That way if you lose them, you can replace them. Not so with cash. If some place won't take the checks, the bank is happy to change them to BZ $$$$$. NO. There are no ATM's there that you will be able to access. If you need it, go to the bank and get a cash advance on your credit card. They do take credit cards, but it's my understanding that there is some fee involved in using credit cards. You'll save $$ by using traveler's checks. Imported grocery items are relatively expensive there, but local stuff is economical. You can get meals at some places relatively cheap, and all the way up to pricey. As far as how much to bring, that depends on how much you want to tour, dive, snorkel, fish, etc. etc. Can't help you there.
Debbie

#31070 11/08/00 05:33 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the help Debbie. At least I've got an idea as to what to do now.

The Rickster

#31071 11/08/00 06:03 PM
F
F
I agree, travellers checks are the best way. i usually cash them at the front desk of the hotel for pocket money. tour operations will take them directly. be sure to keep them in ziplock baggies, wet travelers checks are no good.

this meesage created by 100% recycled electrons

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.