Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#37537 04/15/01 05:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Just read your trip report and it is much different than mine. Do you do online Therapist/Counselor work? Seems I need a change in perspective about AC.

M
M
Idaho Diver,
I read your report and thought it was very honest, based on what your expectations were, and how the trip didn't meet up to them. I think it is really unfortunate that you didn't enjoy yourself, as that is what a vacation is for and what most of us work so hard for all year to do. Most of us who read/post on these boards are incredibly positive about our experiences in AC and the negative trip reports are pretty few and far between. Not to say that us positive posters are seeing AC through rose colored glasses, I think it is more about seeing San Pedro as a place that has so many things to offer, and if one element of the trip doesn't quite pan out, there are plenty of other great experiences to make up for it.
You are clearly a seasoned diver and diving is the main reason you went to AC, and while you didn't find the quality you were looking for, maybe even felt a bit misled by some of the previous posters who raved about it, it's too bad it had to ruin your whole experience of AC. Did you take any trips to the ruins? What about taking advantage of the strong winds and hopping on a windsurfer or a sailboat? Did you go out and try to learn the Punta? Did you meet any of the locals and hear their stories? Did you walk along the beach at night barefooted, stop for some great food with the inevitable rice, beans and slaw and wash it all down with a cold Belikin and top it off with a slice of yummy key lime pie?
I did and it's what made my trip so memorable. [Linked Image]
I am not a diver, and although I have taken a resort course before (in Australia about 10 years ago), I am pretty new to it. I loved my experience in AC because I saw things underwater that have only scared me in my nightmares! Eels, giant stingrays, nurse sharks, huge groupers- it was amazing to see these formerly scary sea creatures up close and personal and to gain a new appreciation for how beautiful they are.
So, while I definitely feel for you and know what it's like to be disappointed with a vacation that you had planned and had turn out to be a total bust, I can only say that a good trip is what you make it.
I am sure if you go back again, chances are conditions would be better, you would get to check out other sites you didn't try the first time around, and maybe have a more positive experience. If not, then you can continue to tell people how much you disliked AC, how you would never go back, and in the process help keep it a treasured secret paradise for those of us who love it so much we would go back two weeks after we left... [Linked Image]
As for the counselor part, Hmmmm....never done on-line before but think it's an interesting idea....
Take care,
Tara
[Linked Image]

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Mendi, I'm Idaho Diver's wife. I didn't go along to Belize because the teen daughter and Dad needed to "bond". I am like you if life gives you lemon's make lemonade (did that sound Idaho'ish?) when I got the first trip report (via e-mail) the poor diving was such a heavy dissapointment (because of the purpose of the trip)for "Dad". We like to breathe dry air and stay submerged in salt water for as long as we can after one of our lovely winters. But he did start talking about quite a few adventures and pleasant times they had to make up for the poor diving. He just hates people to assume that because our daughter is young that we belong on the novice boats. There also wasn't the time to research about the April winds before booking the vacation. He took most of his information from the board. Anyway, they enjoyed parasailing, the food (he brought home a bottle of jerk seasoning and made us one darn good meal)the Belikens, Shark-Ray Alley, walks along the beach and the wonderful people of Belize. I know my daughters trip report is different. She learned alot about how other people live. How good and friendly the people of San Pedro are in comparison to the spoiled kids in the US. Exceeding her fears and finding out bad diving conditions build skills . Besides, she thought Turneffe Caye was good and she was excited about the big groupers, rays, nurse sharks and barracuda.
She got a great understanding of eco-systems and mother nature. She says she is taking me back in 5 years as she figures the reef will be healed a bit by then. So I will be there to try out Jambel Jerk, Jade Garden and Parasailing. Hope your outlook is always this up because it made ours better!

The above 2 posts rank right up there as class act remarks. Tara, you have hit the nail right on the head with your comments. You win the prize, whatever it might be... sorry, don't think it's an all expense paid vacation back to A.C. laugh...

Idaho Divers wife, you also made an excellent observation. Quite frankly I think if there is a next time and you have the opportunity to go... you will possibly see what we all see and your hubbie's remarks may be a bit different.

Good luck...

[This message has been edited by Denny Shane (edited 04-16-2001).]

B
B
Tara,

I totally agree with Denny's comments. Your reply was top notch and with that outlook on life you will do well!!! Email me at [email protected], I think I can help with your prize!!!

Dawn

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.