Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#38065 04/25/01 06:29 PM
J
OP Offline
J
My girlfreind and I are coming to AC and everywhere else for almost a month. Do you absolutely need a certification to dive? I heard you can, but a dive master has to be with you. Any info would help, on a budget, wondering the best way to get the most out of this trip as far as diving. Or should we just get certified. (Expensive..)

Thanks.

Jeff

word.
#38066 04/25/01 07:19 PM
Get certified. Best investment you can make in brining joy into your life. Best bet is to do the class room and pool work at a shop near your home. Then have them give you a referral and all you have to do is the 5 required open water dives. You will be enjoying every minute of the dives too. You won't waste any time sitting in a class room or studying at night while you are in paradise.
What you are referring to is called "Resort Certification." Yes, it is expensive and I've seen too many people panic and have a bad experience. Then they think "I've tried it, I didn't like it" and it is ruined them from ever diving.
Please don't ever consider diving with anyone who would take you without one of the above. Remember, your life could be at stake. Would you fly an airplane without taking lessons and passing an exam?

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
#38067 04/26/01 08:58 AM
I second that! Diving is a very fun and relaxing sport, but also very serious.

Expensive?....not really considering the cost of a potential funeral in the event something goes seriously wrong.

If you dont follow the rules of safety you can end up in a fatal situation. That is not a good way to make vacation memories!

It's one thing for things to go awry on land where you are breathing fresh air....and a totally different thing to be underwater and have something go wrong.

The reason Dive Shops require certifications is to prevent any liability for diver caused accidents. Not sure you would find one that will assume that risk.

Better to be safe than sorry! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Sandshaker (edited 04-26-2001).]

#38068 04/26/01 02:03 PM
I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said. I'm only posting to show support for getting certified. Scubaldy has set out the right plan for you. Get your classroom and pool portion out of the way at home and then get a referral to do OW in Belize.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#38069 04/26/01 03:01 PM
Actually I will add that if you are worried about the cost of certification, you should do the whole thing at home. It costs a little bit more to do a referral for your open water. A more significant reason to do your open water at home is because if you learn to dive in conditions that are more adverse than the Caribbean sea you will really, really enjoy your dives and your skills should be that much better. While diving is a reasonably safe sport, it is only safe if you are properly trained. Resort courses cannot provide you with enough training for that safety net. This is your life we are talking about. You could seriously damage yourself (not to mention lose your life) if an egregious error is made. I'm not trying to scare you off of diving, it is a wonderful sport but it should be taken seriously. You will love it, if you take the time and make the effort to get properly trained.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.