Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#40004 05/29/01 09:43 PM
P
Pmudg Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I have emailed both places and seem to get a great rate for both. My question is Banana Beach is $37.00 higher than Coconuts and I was wondering if it is worth the extra $'s. My wife and I will be going there alone and don't really care about a pool, which is one of the main differences I can see in the two. I will admit the private outside terraces with Banana beach seem appealing. Is there much difference in the beach area? I have done much reading on this board, and value your views. Thanks Mike We will be there 11 june 2001. Thanks again.

C
C
Well, I just returned from Coconuts last week and loved it! We did miss having a pool but used the one at BB (and other hotels, I don't think they mind). Coconuts is about 15-20 minutes closer to town which is a huge difference in the heat! BB is a nicer, larger, more modern hotel but I personally wouldn't pay the difference if the pool doesn't matter to you. The beach area is a little larger at BB but as far as getting into the water, it's the same - you need to go off the dock. Coconuts also has a great beach bar and I didn't notice one at BB. Good luck on your decision. You'll be happy with either one I'm sure!

N
N
We stayed at Banana Beach May 12th-19th and loved it. The staff there is absolutely amazing. We loved our oceanfront rooms (we had three). Even if you don't get in the pool, it's fun just to lay around and chat with the other guests. There isn't a beach bar at BB, however, Mata Rocks right next door has a really great little bar with fabulous bartenders. Have a great time while you are there. Be sure to call Capt. Alfonse for all your snorkeling trips.

At Banana Beach, for the extra $37 (or whatever it works out to be), you get a very attractive large suite instead of a motel room, and you get a kitchen, and a pool. You lose the included continental breakfast and use of bikes, and you're a little more than a mile farther from town. Both places are well run and friendly and offer great value.

I'd say that if you're a traveler who likes the extra space and creature comforts a suite offers -- maybe you like to invite a couple in for drinks and sit around and talk -- and don't mind paying a little more, Banana Beach is worth it. Anybody looking at the two places would say that units at Banana Beach are a step up from the rooms at If you're counting nickles and dimes, and are happy with just a comfortable room which you use mainly for sleeping, then Coconuts will be great.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.belizefirst.com/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
No question about it... go for Banana Beach.. the extra dinero is way worth it, at least in my humble opinion.

Tim manages both hotels and obviously would be happy whichever one you choose, but since this is your vacation, go with the nicer place.

We paid about 960us for an oceanfront room for 10 days from may 11-20th. (three out of our four couples had oceanfronts.. one couple had a poolview which was exactly the same as the others except it looked out onto the pool on oneside and a sideways view of the beach on the other.. think they paid about 760.)

for the extra money, you get a kitchen...( we prefer to eat breakfast in our room everywhere we travel, sitting on our deck looking at the ocean..) a living/dining room, big refrig (for all that rum and belikins), plus a fantastic view of the ocean, and one of the best beaches I've seen on AC. You also get a pool ( do not underestimate the value of an afternoon spent sipping belikins in the little kiddie pool/not-so-hot tub.)

You also get the friendliest staff possible. Horace and Henry will do anything to make sure you're having the best time.. tip them if you wish, each time they do something for you, or at the end of the trip, or not at all...they do it because they love making people happy, they're not standing around waiting for a tip. ( although I did make henry very happy by selling him a brand new CDplayer/radio boombox for $30us, which I left for our maid.. he said the same thing on the island would cost over $100us).

I haven't completed my trip report yet, but when I do, you'll have a chance to read about all the great things that made AC a fantastic vacay. I met Nicki there after her wedding, and if it's good enough for that special day in her life, then I'm sure it'll do just fine for most people's vacations.

When you get there, make sure to stop at Mata Rocks and have a Mata Colada.. (very yummy for a girly drink... don't let the guys see you holding one)... and a hotdog which is served with the coolest condiment container ever!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.