Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39934 05/28/01 12:49 PM
A
aloha Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Probably a stupid question, but what are the differences between Hol Chan and Shark/Ray Alley? On some maps they seem to be almost an extension of one another, whereas on others they seem to be 2 distinct sites. And if they are 2 totally different sites, can both be done on the same trip are do you really need to do them seperately?

#39935 05/28/01 02:33 PM
KC Offline
Let's just say they are really close, and yes, they are done in the same trip. Hol Chan is different in a few respects as it is a nature preserve (is that the right term), and you have to pay a few bucks to enter it. (you give your $$ to the captain, and he pays). Also, our guide snorkled with us at Hol Chan, and we had to stay with him at all times. At shark/ray alley we were free to snork around as we wished. At least this was my experience. Personally, I liked shark/ray alley more than Hol Chan, but I would go back to both. (I kept worrying that I was going to "lose" the guide at Hol Chan, and he was hard to keep in sight.)

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#39936 05/28/01 02:38 PM
A
aloha Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks Kathy. Any good stories of, or suggestions for Shark/Ray Alley?

#39937 05/28/01 03:33 PM
KC Offline
It was just hard to make myself jump into the water when it was *boiling* with sharks, waiting to be fed. I double checked with the guide ("Is it REALLY OK to jump in?") and he said "yeah" so I said a prayer and jumped. It was pretty awesome. Especially since this was my very first snorkel experience.

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#39938 05/28/01 03:59 PM
A
aloha Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Sounds great! Can't wait!

#39939 05/28/01 10:29 PM
Shark Ray Alley is an extension of Hol Chan and it is part of Hol Chan marine Reserve and governed by the same Rangers you pay your $5 bze to.

Many people think Hol Chan is just the small cut where everyone snorkels but Hol Chan encompasses over 6 1/2 square miles including a wide variety of marine ecosystems including, mangroves, grass flats the reef and it is home to many of the best diving site found here on Ambergris.

Have a great time Shark Ray Alley is a one of a kind.

Dive Safe

Gaz
Gaz Cooper's DIVE BELIZE www.divebelize.com

#39940 06/01/01 01:04 AM
Of course, Gaz is right. I would add to that the difference between scuba and snorkle.
You can only snorkle at Shark Ray Alley. Scuba divers use it as surface interval. Hol Chan is an interesting scuba site; especially for a night dive. However, you can't just dive there anytime. Because it is a cut (chute) the currents can be very strong. Good dive masters will not even take you out when the tides are wrong.
The last night dive I did there in January was the best night dive of my life and I've been to some pretty amazing places in the South Pacific.
If you scuba, don't miss it!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 267 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.