Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#41145 06/22/01 10:13 AM
C
Craig Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My girlfriend and I will be taking our first visit to Ambergris Caye on July 19 and will be staying through July 28. We are staying at Ramons Village. Needless to say, we are extremely excited, and this board has been very helpful in planning our trip. We are funloving people from Mississippi, and I was wondering if any of you all will be there during the time we are visiting? Please feel free to email me privately at [email protected]
I do have a couple of questions:
Is it cool to go with absolutely no plans? We haven't made special tour, fishing or snorkeling reservations, and these are things we defintely want to do.
What are some MUST sees or things to do?
Are there any really cool things to do with the natives that maybe you can't find in basic tour brochures?
We would like to get off the beaten path and really capture the essence of the islands. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

#41146 06/22/01 10:49 AM
J
JMK Offline
J
Craig,

Let me know how your trip goes. My boyfriend and I are traveling the beginning of August. We haven't booked hotel reservations yet but are leaning towards Ramon's. I'd like to hear your opinion. Thanks.

#41147 06/22/01 10:54 AM
KC Offline
Ahhhhh... You have the right attitude to have an awesome time on AC! Making no plans IS cool! You will find plenty to do, and plenty of trips to go on! You didn't say that you dive, so I'm assuming that you don't. If you snorkle, don't miss a trip to shark/ray alley and Hol Can (one trip--just a few hours).

Go to Lamanai (Mayan ruins in the jungle). This is an all-day trip. Don't miss it. It's not just the ruins; getting there is the best part. Go with Daniel Nunez of Tanisha Tours.

You say you are adventuresome... go cave tubing. I have not done this (I am an old lady) [Linked Image] but I've heard it is awesome, and I might even do it myself if my husband would go with me.

I've heard that you must not miss BCs BBQ on Sunday, and then to the Palapa for the evening.

Now, don't worry about making arrangements for any of this stuff!!! Just go and ask around. It's a small island! (I had to laugh when you said, "we want to get off the beaten path..." AC is nowhere near the beaten path.) [Linked Image] That's why we love it!

Well, those are my suggestions! Have a great time, and report in when you get back!

Kathy

[This message has been edited by KC (edited 06-22-2001).]

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#41148 06/22/01 11:41 AM
B
B
For the essence of the island...I had a local guy on a ratty boat take 4 of us fishing and snorkling and then the fish we caught he and his partner filleted and cooked on the beach along with the lobsters he conked on the head. I had 4 tails [long pause here as i savor the memory] okay I'm back. I want to say this was about $100 us a head. More than fair. His name was Eloy. As it is a small island just ask at several dive shops[i hooked up at Caribe Island] For the serious fisherman this would probably not be big time enough, but my wife and another couple just melted we loved it so much. Also we were near Capt Morgans [I think]and walked over for restrooms, pool amd belikin. We were inside the reef so it was gentle and for basic landlubbers like me, reassuring to be close to shore.
No prearranged plans is cool, dive shops will list tours that week.
Another good value and a way to mingle is the Winnie Estele, a converted fishing trawler that picks up at Texaco dock and cruises to Shark Ray alley, Caye Caulker, and a second snorkle stop. about $60 US and includes copious beverages, light snacks, and an enclosed head. Go early in the wek as you will meet people that you'll see again in town
Do you have a snorkle mask? I like to bring my own baecause as my Mother says," Put that down! You don't know where it's been!" Plus, you can go on your own off the dock
I did Blue Creek Cave float and as an old hippie let me tell you it was a trip. Absolutely worth it. But..this trip and I think most cave trips are too far inland to do in one day.

#41149 06/22/01 12:25 PM
hey...

First and formost....

Don't listen to anyone on this board....

Sit back....

Relax....

and let it happen....

oh yeah, see barefoot skinny at Fidos....

hacker

#41150 06/22/01 01:15 PM
T
T
We will be arriving on the 22nd and are in the same boat. No real plans yet. Just go with the flow.

Fastik

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 337 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.