Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#43183 08/21/01 12:13 AM
B
OP Offline
B
My sister is going to Belize for Honeymoon. We saw lots of postings about Ramon's but she really likes Mata Chica's website. Does anyone have recommendations for Mata Chica?

Does anyone recommend staying in Ambergris Caye for few nights then stay in the rainforest a few nights?

I want to help her make the right decision, please help with any comments!

#43184 08/21/01 12:23 AM
I don't think Mata Chica's has a pool, does it? Would that matter to your sister?

Have you considered Victoria House?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#43185 08/21/01 09:38 AM
J
JMK Offline
J
I'm a big fan of both of these places. I was at Ramon's for the first time about 2 weeks ago and I absolutely loved it. If you read my post entitled, "Rave Reviews for Ramon's" you can get details but in short, it is a beautiful place with a lot of character. On the last night of our vacation we took the water taxi to Mata Chica and had dinner at Mamba restaurant. While I didn't have an opportunity to walk the grounds extensively or to see a room, if the restaurant is any indication, this place is spectacular. I think it's maybe a notch or 2 up on the luxury scale from Ramon's but as we say often on this board, it would depend what your expectations are. Ramon's is more than comfortable, especially if you have a honeymoon or presidential suite. If you have a "regular" room at Ramon's don't expect more than a clean, comfortable place to rest your head. The beauty of Ramon's is outside of the actual room-- the grounds and the people. The food isn't great but it's decent and there's always a lot of people to mingle with at the Purple Parrot (Ramon's bar) or by the beautiful pool.

The important thing to know about Mata Chica is that it is EXTREMELY isolated. As I understand it, you have to take the water taxi to get to San Pedro, maybe you can ride a bike but I'm not sure. The water taxi is fun for one night but I'm not sure I'd want to do it regularly. It was a little scary at night, riding in a tiny boat in the pitch black. But, because this is a honeymoon seculusion/isolation may not be a bad thing. I personally enjoyed being closer to San Pedro and having the opportunity to try many different restaurants and getting the flavor of the place.

I did not see Victoria House but I've heard nice things about it.

Let me know if you have other questions.

- Jamie

#43186 08/21/01 10:35 AM
We recomend time in the rain forest then time on the island. Either way, don't miss either part of the adventure.
Stephi

Stephi G
Frequent Belize Traveler
Since 1989
#43187 08/21/01 11:39 AM
N
N
I think your sister should definitely check into Victoria House. We were married there and stayed there on our wedding night. It is absolutely beautiful there. The casita we stayed in was very romantic. The pool is beautiful and the food is wonderful. Also, it's more accessible to town, as opposed to Mata Chica.

#43188 08/21/01 05:26 PM
S
S
ditto on the Victoria House! great place for a honeymooning couple! The pool and grounds are beautiful!!

#43189 08/21/01 07:38 PM
Both Ramon's and Mata Chica are well marketed and both enjoy high occupancies, especially with first-time visitors to the island.

Mata Chica is a good deal more "chic" than Ramon's -- everything is highly designed, down to the menus and tile in the bathroom.

Mata Chica doesn't have a pool, and Ramon's has a very nice but not overly large pool.

As someone else noted, the main thing to understand about the two is the difference in locations. Mata Chica is not for someone who likes to eat at a different restaurant every day or who likes to go out to clubs in the evening.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.belizefirst.com/

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
#43190 08/22/01 04:19 PM
M
M
My wife and I stayed at Mata Chica on our honeymoon in January and I couldn't recommend it more highly for a romantic getaway. True, it doesn't have a pool and it is a bit farther from town than some may want to be, but we swam in the gentle, shallow surf to our hearts' content (the barrier reef about a mile offshore keeps the waves down), and we found it plenty easy to get back and forth to San Pedro (via water taxi or bumming a ride with the staff) when we wanted to -- which wasn't very often! The restaurant, Mambo, is one of the best I've been to anywhere in the world, and the casita units are charming. They are situated in rows of four; recommend one in the first row (closest to the water) or the next row back. The staff is attentive and friendly.

We didn't visit Victoria House but I've heard nice things about it. Ramon's seems to me like more of a singles place and is much larger and busier.

Hope that helps.

Mark, Denver

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.