Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
They are called the artisans with a plan and five Belizean artists are opening their show at the Institute of Mexico in Belize right now. The artists are Ellen Staine, Emmeth Young, Janice Young, Jill Burgess and Myrna Manzanres. According to the artists, the overall object of the exhibit is to make their works of art be known in Belize and aboard. Seven News caught up with 2 of the artists yesterday.

Janice Young - Bamboo Artist
"We call the exhibit "Artisans with a plan" because we are 5 artist and we have a big plan. We have several plans. Gill have her own plans, my friend Ellen have her plan, Mrs. Myrna have the Creole plan, so it's a combination."

Monica Bodden
"You are in charge of the Bamboo plan?"

"Yes that is my plan the bamboo plan."

Monica Bodden
"You care to tell me a little bit about it?"

"Here I have my work and I also have work that was done by some students that in May and June of this year the Creole council did s project that was funded by SIF (Social Investment Fund) and it was held at the SIF building on St. Thomas Street and so the plan is for us to work with the youths, we want to involve the youths."

"Here we have different works as I said its 5 of us and so to my left we have the work by Gill Bergess and Emmeth Young. Gill did the painting, Emmeth, he did the drums and the maracas to my right and then we have Ellen, she did the cultural dolls. We have the Chinese, the Creole, the Garifuna, the Indian, the Mexican and she also design hats, she design bags, t-shirts and then we have Myrna Manzanares, she have the Creole display; we have the kiss kiss. We have the fly brush, we have the old time grata and we have literature, we have the Creole calendar and we have books."

Myrna Manzanares, President - National Creole Council
"Sometimes we tend to forget the youths right but the whole idea is for them to see what is there, look at what their talents are and see how they can invest their talents into income generating because things is getting hard and those elderly artist who will not be around so they have to train somebody to take over."

Monica Bodden
"So for those who are interesting in doing an art piece, probably join a bamboo club and so forth; how do you go about doing that?"

Myrna Manzanares, President - National Creole Council
"It depends on the type of art like for example through the national Creole council we've thought the bamboo, we've thought the basketry, Janice did the bamboo and we have the guy from Gales Point who did the basketry. We have on display the diamond plot that hardly anybody knows how to do. Also the paintings - people can link up with any of the artist that they are interested in and work along with them."

Tonight's opening of -Artisans with a Plan- is opened to the public and entrance is free. The exhibit will run until December 28th.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Mexican Institute presents: the works of 5 artists from Galespoint Manatee

If you're looking for a lasting Christmas gift for someone special, you may want to head over to the Mexican Cultural Institute where you can find different crafts on sale. Five artists with a plan from Galespoint Manatee are displaying their works that includes paintings, bamboo carvings and Garifuna drums. News Five's Delahnie Bain reports.

Delahnie Bain, Reporting

Five artisans from Galespoint, Manatee have come together for an exhibit called Artisans with a Plan, which opened on Wednesday night at the Institute of Mexico. It is brainchild of Janice Young, one of the artists.

Janice Young, Bamboo Artist

"It started when I was doing a one week seminar with BELTRAIDE in Belmopan. They had a one week seminar and they had artists and artisans from all over the country; from Corozal, Orange Walk, PG; the six districts. And so we were all compiled together in this one seminar and I said well this is the best opportunity for us because we've always wanted to get together somehow and this was the golden opportunity. So I spoke with Jill and I talked to Emmeth and a few others and we decided to have the show."

Young has been working with bamboo for twenty-four years and brought in about a hundred pieces for the exhibit.

Janice Young

"In this particular display I have some advanced pieces. For example I have Queen Nefertiti, I have the Mayan sculptures. Well, the sofa is kinda unique too because it's different. Normally, when I have bamboo sofa it's usually in its natural state but this one is painted black as you noticed and the fabric is a combination of two colors. The public response has been very well and very good in the past but one thing I notice about the public is that you have to keep on coming back to the people because they have a tendency to forget so you have to keep on and bringing more work, different type of work every time when you come back to the people."

Jill Burgess, the painter in the group of artists, featured different cultures in her works. She been painting for about five years, and her style is unique because she goes beyond the canvass.

Jill Burgess, Painter

Jill Burgess

"What I have here in this show are pieces from each culture you might say. So I have a little bit of Maya, a little bit of Garifuna and a lot of Creole because I spend a lot of time in Galespoint."

Delahnie Bain

"I noticed that it's not just canvass art. Can you tell about that?"

Jill Burgess

"I like to work on different materials. I have a lot wood, you'll see a lot of burnt up wood, which might be a little hard to take at first but I think you'll enjoy seeing it. I like the textures of mahogany but also the burnt part. And I really like how that kinda captures the sambai fire and the dancing and drumming."

Also in the diverse group of artisans, is Emmeth Young, who makes Garifuna drums. He brought ten drums for the display, which he says took him two weeks to make.

Emmeth Young, Drum Maker

Emmeth Young

"I brought some drums; I brought Djembe, I have Kinkinni, I have Sangban, Sambai drum. I've been making drums, since I'm thirteen years old and I've been playing since I'm eight years old."

Delahnie Bain

"What keeps you so into it?"

Emmeth Young

"I traditionally learned from Gales Point from the older players there, mainly one brother named Evan Vernon and he passed away so my duty is to carry on the tradition. So that's what keeps me motivated."

And as the name says, these artisans have a plan.

Jill Burgess

"What I'm doing is I'm creating a small multi-cultural museum. I also call it a living museum as well as botanical garden and mythological garden."

Emmeth Young

"I work with youths to teach them a life skill in a positive way because I have a program called Drums not Guns and I go to different communities and I teach traditional drumming and drum making."

Janice Young

Janice Young

"Now at this moment I have trainees. I have students that learn my work so they have their own ideas."

The other two artisans are Myrna Manzares, who put together a display on the Creole Culture and Ellen Staine, who showcased the Mayan culture. Delahnie Bain for News Five.

The exhibit runs until December twenty-sixth.

Channel 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 299 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.