Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#412162 07/20/11 08:55 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
3 first place winners were awarded this morning for BAVIA high school video competition -called "Show Me". The Belize Audio Visual Industry Association along with the Belize International Film Festival gave high school students from across the country an opportunity to showcase their talent by producing mini films, music videos or ads. The students had 2 weeks to work on a piece no more than 5 minutes long. The winners were awarded today and we found out who they are:

Javier Molina, President of BAVIA
"I am very happy with the results. I am very happy with the entries. It really affirm what we thought what our suspicions were that young people out there are really talented and have a lot to show in the audio visual industry and I am really glad that we were able to showcase the talent of our young Belizeans."

Monica Bodden
"How many submissions?"

"We had a total of 9 submissions; 3 per category and so I think for us that was a really rate."

Monica Bodden
"And what were those 3 categories?"

"The 3 categories were a music video; it was a short documentary or feature and an ad for SMART. The 3 first prizes were $1,000.00 and a phone and then of course we had first and second and third for each category. So there were a total of 9 winners today. So all the participants that entered got something."

Monica Bodden
"Now Javier will this be something annual?"

"Definitely there is going to be annual. The potential that we see in these kids - we are going to be taking them under our wings now and really trying to finesse and fine-tune the work that they show us that they can do. It was all about showing us and they did. They showed me what they had and I am very happy for what I saw."

Shelby Castillo, 1st Place - short video
"When I heard about the film competition thing I said maybe I could enter an animation and maybe they would accept and so I tried it."

Monica Bodden
"You heard about it from whom?"

"My mom was reading a newspaper and she showed me it because I was doing nothing for the summer and she wanted me to do something."

Monica Bodden
"Now what was your animation about?"

"A boy dreaming about his likes and then his dreams come true at the end."

Monica Bodden
"How hard was it to put that piece together?"

"Since it was my first time doing that it was very hard and it took long to do."

Participant
"We won the music video category from this competition."

Monica Bodden
"Tell us a little bit about that. How did the ideas came about?"

Participant
"Well basically I was watching this other music video from a band and then it was like one week this competition started and yea I got the idea from that video because it was basically a love music video and then we decided to make something like that."

Monica Bodden
"How long did it take you guys to actually put it together?"

Participant
"One week."

Monica Bodden
"Was it a lot of work?"

Participant
"Yes."

Monica Bodden
"Who was the person behind the cameras?"

Participant
"We all contributed, it was teamwork."

Monica Bodden
"Is this a first for you guys?"

Participant
"It's actually the first time we make a song and a video and put it together."

Carole Cui, 1st place - SMART Ad
"The whole idea started with my partner Orthon Bob, he came up with the hospital scene. We did the script together and he came up with a song actually for SMART so it was a really great idea. It was great working with him. It was a first for me to make a video. My partner Orthon has done different videos before and so it was great working with him."

Monica Bodden
"A lot of work?"

Carole Cui, 1st place - SMART Ad
"We went through a lot of stuff to get this video done."

The Belize Audio Visual Industry Association says this will be an annual event.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

San Pedro hosts Belize Film Festival

Saturday night was one of glamour and intrigue as the Belize Film Festival was once again on the island. This time Kama Lounge was host to the event - and revelers got to enjoy a wonderful Caribbean movie: A Hand Full of Dirt. Written, directed and edited by Russell Watson, A Hand Full of Dirt is a look into the lives of three men across three generations as they struggle with their lives. The eldest man, Ben, holds on to his hard-won property, refusing to acknowledge his son Archie's desperate attempts to keep his business (hotel) afloat, while the youngest, Archie's son (Ben's grandson), Jay, struggles thousands of miles away. Jay is stuck in an immigration nightmare - unable to pay off a debt that would give him the leeway to work, yet unable to get a job because of the same immigration issue. His nightmare grows as his girlfriend reveals her pregnancy, and soon, history repeats itself as he is put in a situation that would secure his future by betraying his past, and his family.

Watson captures the essence of the story in a sparse, methodical way. The viewer is taken on quite the journey as scenes cut from the present to the past, observing Jay's memories of an abusive father, his take on the breakdown of his parents' marriage, and the weight of pending fatherhood puts him in a most precarious position. There are quite a few memorable scenes that showcase Watson's artistic eye: in a poignant scene after the Caribbean Jay discovers his Latina girlfriend's pregnancy, he is in the bathroom, and the double mirror shows him two faces. It is as though he now has two options - and none of them are the easy ones�

Apart from San Pedro, the Belize International Film Festival provided entertainment in Belize City and with special screenings in Benque Viejo, Orange Walk and Dangriga as well. Kudos to everyone involved. For more information about the Belize International Film Festival, check out www.belizefilmfestival.com. For more on A Hand Full of Dirt visit their website at: www.ahandfullofdirt.com.

San Pedro Sun

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.