Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Popular music releases are dominated by younger persons - and you meet them very often on this newscast - but tonight we'll tell you about a 43 year old mother of seven and grandmother of five named Abby Williams who's "trying a thing" in her middle years. She released her CD today and told us why she wanted tunes to engage a wide range of audiences.

Abby Williams
"Dancehall, Reggae, one Punta and one country and so I do it all. If you like punta you will dance and if you like slow you will hear a country and if you like dancehall and reggae like the youths, I have it too."

Jules Vasquez
"New releases, most of them come from young artist. How come you are getting into it?"

Abby Williams
"Well as I say it's because of the first song and then I started to enjoy the music and now I am having fun, so I will keep going."

Jules Vasquez
"So you turn into an entertainer/performer later in your life?"

Abby Williams
"Yes, my first song from this CD comes from my true experience of my marriage gone bad because of drugs. As I said I lost my husband because of crack and a lot of we ladies for years just pity our self and I just got tired of that and I know a lot of ladies don't have the courage to sing about it. I am tired of being a victim of it and so I sing about it and now I release and I am no more victim of that."

Jules Vasquez
"And you are not shame because some people will be shame to say....."

Abby Williams
"No man, we can't be shame of these things because that is reality. How long will we be shame? Now I don't feel any way about that. I can tell ladies about that, I've been there done that."

Jules Vasquez
"You have a song here "Nuh mek no man hit yo," Explain what's the story behind that song?"

Abby Williams
"Well because a lot of us ladies we put up with a lot of abuse because of the kids and I want the ladies to know that we won't put up with anymore abuse because if they bruise you they got to lose you."

The CD is available for twenty dollars at Venus, Teddy's and Tambran.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Singing pain into positive CD for sale

Not unlike the ministry of works, a resident of San Pedro is doing her own version of road building. Abby Williams is a single mother who has experienced her fair share of hardships in life. In the past year and a half, Williams has taken her trials and converted them into music to share her story, particularly with women who may be facing similar problems. She hopes to spread positive messages with the release of her first album called Blessed Empress. In eight songs of varying genres, Williams addresses societal issues that many Belizeans can relate to and she says there are plenty more to come.

Abbey Williams, Singer

"My first song dah bout my true experience weh my marriage gone bad because of crack cocaine. And di second song was against the violence because we have too much ah dat eena di country. Den I wanted to finish the album with six songs, so I have six new tracks pan di album."

Delahnie Bain

"And all of them come with a message behind it?"

Abbey Williams

"Definitely."

Delahnie Bain

"What genre of music is it?"

Abbey Williams

"It's mixed with dancehall, reggae, country and one Punta."

Delahnie Bain

"And what made you decide to put your life stories out there?"

Abbey Williams

"Well, because I want different ladies know that sometimes we-years we've become a victim of that and I don't want to be a victim of that no more with drugs. So I release that to the rest of the world that the ladies dehn could understand weh I mean and get di message you know because dah noh wah lot ah ladies could get out and sing about what they experience so I did it and I am not a victim of it anymore."

Delahnie Bain

"Is there any particular track on this album that you would encourage people to listen to?"

Abbey Williams

"Definitely the ones with the-the one about abuse, "Nuh Mek No Man Hit Yo", definitely because dehn gial can't have den man di bruise up dehn skin because if dehn bruise yoh, dehn have to lose yoh. Thanks to the people of San Pedro weh give me wah lot of support and encouragement and thanks to my family especially mi kids dehn and mi aunt Pearl and uncle Everald. Dehn always encourage me and always mek a feel good bout mi music. And again, lot ah thanks to San Pedro; we do eight [tracks] and we ready fi do some more."

Blessed Empress is available for sale at Teddy's Music Outlet, Venus Photos and Records and DJ Tambran Store.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
[size:14pt]Abbey Williams release her first CD "Blessed Empress"[/size

Resident of San Pedro for over eighteen years and a single mother of seven, Abbey Williams released her first CD on Friday January 6th. Her CD entitled "Blessed Empress" tells the story of her life and shares lessons learned.

[Linked Image]

In speaking to The San Pedro Sun, Ms. Williams shared, "The CD includes all types of music, from dancehall, reggae, punta and even one country song." Abbey recorded her first hit single in February of 2011 "Mrs. Crack" along with "Put down the Gun" and was overwhelmed at how well the public welcomed her music. With the success of her first songs, she took to the writing board and a year and a half later, released this CD, "One of the songs on the CD "Mrs. Crack" is all about my true experience of my marriage gone bad because of drugs. I lost my husband because of crack and a lot of we ladies for years just pity ourselves and I just got tired of that."

Click here for the rest of the story in the San Pedro Sun

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 109 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.