Belize GARRI for export - Big market says Belize consulate in Nigeria

*** GARRI FLOUR for export comes in yellow and white colors.

BELIZE HAS BIG EXPORT MARKET AVAILABLE, FOR GARRI

Belize Consul in Nigeria quote:
"I returned recently from Belize where I led an investor in hospitality industry. Land has been acquired in Belmopan, Belize, to build bed and breakfast inn and another project will be for time share homes. There is an ongoing negotiation in the agriculture sector in the Stan Creek District of Belize to have garri processing plants for onward shipment to consumers in USA and Canada. There is huge market in that sector because at this time all the garri consumed in the Americas comes from mainly West Africa. Belize has great amount of cassava which are not processed into garri, but used mainly as cakes. Another major investor is currently making a feasibility study regarding the oil industry in Belize, with specific interest in refining. I also concluded discussion with the Belize Ambassador for foreign trade on the need to establish Belize-Nigeria Chamber of Commerce and the planned visit of key Nigerian legislators to Belize Parliament. At this moment, I am engaged in facilitating a dialogue between Nasarawa State University, Keffi, Nigeria and the University of Belize, and we are mutually studying a proposal for a linkage program and I will be meeting the new Vice-Chancellor of the University of Jos to conclude discussions on the concepts of exchange scholarship programmes with Belize universities."

GARRI is a product of CASSAVA which is grown in the Stann Creek Valley and is, or was one time the main stay staple of the Garifuna people on the coast. Apparently according to the Belize Consul, in Nigeria, there is a big world market for the product.

From Wikipedia: Garri (also known as gari, garry, tapioca, or garium sulphate) is a popular West African food made from cassava tubers. The spelling "garri" is mainly used in Nigeria, Cameroon, Sierra Leone and Ghana.[citation needed]

To make garri, cassava tubers are peeled, washed and grated or crushed to produce a mash. The mash is placed in a porous bag and allowed to ferment for one or two days, while weights are placed on the bag to press the water out. It is then sieved (or sifted) and roasted by heating in a bowl. The resulting dry granular garri can be stored for long periods. It may be pounded or ground to make a fine flour.
CASSAVA FLOUR IN OTHER WORDS, AND THE MARKETS ARE EUROPE, CANADA, AND THE USA.
**** There is a secondary spinoff for Belize. In an emergency a developed GARRI export product would be a fail safe, should imported wheat become unavailable, due to all kinds of world problems. Food self sustainability, says, we should be producing and exporting GARRI.

Western Belize Happenings!