We all love a good shrimp cocktail, but did you know it can be made with lobster too? I like my cocktail with all the traditional sweet and tangy flavors that make this dish popular, while still allowing the protein to be the star of the plate. That's why I love how my step-dad prepares his lobster cocktail. Again it all starts with fresh lobster shucked and diced into chunks, but instead of boiling it, it is marinated in lime juice. The acidity of the lime 'cooks' the meat, enhancing its natural flavors. When boiling lobster, you have to be careful not to overcook it or it becomes tough and tasteless, but you don't have to worry about that when marinating it.

Let the lobster sit in the lime juice about 20 minutes, then you add diced onions, tomatoes, bell peppers and cilantro (the quantity of the vegetables depends on how you like it- I prefer less vegetables and more lobster). Mix the vegetables, lobster and a 24 ounce bottle of ketchup (Hunts Brand is my pick) in a bowl. Season the cocktail with salt and black pepper to taste. If you like a little heat in your food, add a couple diced habaneros. In my house we like our cocktails to be two things: SPICY and SOUR, so we go heavy on the habanero and lime! Enjoy your with some fresh corn tortilla chips, soda biscuit or just with a spoon!

My Beautiful Belize