Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#397016 01/11/11 10:59 AM
C
Chilled Offline OP
OP Offline
C
When I visited San Pedro in January '10 I noticed so, so many pariah dogs. They are skinny, dirty, and I am sure hungry. I was able to pet some, and felt so sorry for them. Is there an equivalent to the SPCA or some other organization in place for these dogs' benefit? Does San Pedro have any support or laws, etc. in regards to pariah dogs?

Hi HL Chilly,

Many people here may not know what you mean by 'pariah' dogs, as it isn't a commonly used term. The local term for the Belizean crossbreeds you see around is 'potlicker'.

There is a wonderful little humane society in San Pedro called SAGA Humane Society. They do a hard job against many challenges but have so many wonderful rescue stories. If you'd like to find out more about their work - Saga Humane Society web page.

There are laws related to stray dogs and cruelty. SAGA Humane Society works closely with the Town Board and Public Health to address these issues.

Anyone who has been traveling to San Pedro over the years can attest that SAGA has made a huge impact on the stray population in San Pedro and provide many important services to the community. They receive no government funding and rely on donations to do their work. Check out their website and if you can, please help them with a donation.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

C
Chilled Offline OP
OP Offline
C
That is a great website, thank you! I just spent the last half-hour looking through it and I am so glad it exists. I will definitely help them out.

C
Chilled Offline OP
OP Offline
C
And they have a bumper sticker that says "I love my Potlicker"! Cute!

http://sagahumanesociety.org/help-saga/saga-merchandise/

I am visiting San Pedro in July--Saga is now on my list of stops!

YEA - thanks for taking a concern an turning it into an act of kindness !!

Think about this as well ..... take a potlicker home from your next visit to Belize --- they are the BEST pups, and folks here will help you do the paperwork.

C
Chilled Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I am sure I will want to, but our little townhome is already home to two dogs, two cats, and various other little creatures. I know I am asking for heartbreak!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 151 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.