Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
On Friday night, you heard Sports Minister John Saldivar declare that quote, "We do not have an officially recognized national body for football." That's because the Football Federation of Belize did not submit required documentation to the Sports Council - as it - and all other associations - are required to do by law.

Today the Sports Council issued a release backing up that position. The release says that at the Sports Council office it was decided that the following federations and associations did not meet the registration requirements, and as such the Council no longer recognizes them as the national body representing the various disciplines. These are the

The Belize Darts Federation

The Belize Boxing Federation

The Football Federation of Belize

The Judo Association of Belize

The Belize Domino Association

And The Belize Tumblers Association.

Now, to have the mighty FFB thrown in there with darts, judo and tumblers�well that's just rough�.but that aside, the de-certification of the FFB comes as that body is preparing a national team for a game in Trinidad against Montserrat.

Now, the question is will they get to use the Belizean flag? It sounds simple - since nobody owns the flag - but Sports Minister Saldivar did say on WAVE radio last week that to represent Belize internationally, the association must be registered with the National Sports Council.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

National Sports Council no longer recognizes several organizations

The Belize Football Federation has been at odds with the Ministry of Sports for some time. When it didn't meet registration requirements by failing to submit its financials, the ministry threatened to cut it off. Well today that came through at a meeting of the National Sports Council. While it doesn't necessarily play an active role in the execution of many sports disciplines, it is the governing body that officially registers and recognizes the organizations. The Board of the NSC also took action against five other sporting organizations. That means that the Football Federation of Belize, Belize Darts Federation, Belize Boxing Federation, Judo Association of Belize, Belize Domino Association, and the Belize Tumblers Association are no longer recognized as the national body of these disciplines. What does it really mean? We're not sure as the Football Federation of Belize, which is sanctioned and fully recognized by FIFA as its representing body in Belize, has world recognition. In the coming weeks the FFB is hosting an international match with Montserrat in Belmopan.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

F.F.B. can't have a national team

At his quarterly press conference that was packed with a cheering gallery of workers from the poverty alleviation project and at least six ministers, the prime minister also deal with the Football Federation of Belize. That's one of several sporting associations that are no longer recognized by the National Sports Council of Belize. The decision came on Tuesday, and the F.F.B. is currently preparing to take a national team to play in an international match in Trinidad. The P.M. said that he doesn't think that the F.F.B. can call its team the national team.

Dean Barrow

"Well I don't see how they can't there are processes-I am not familiar with the issue as the Minister of Sports-but there are processes that have come to a head and have resulted in a decertification. What is Mister Chimilio's organization called? F.F.B. And so it is my information that in those circumstances, the team can't style itself the national football team. And I, from what I gather, not even so much a question for government and FIFA would not allow it. And there will be some consequences, I gather, visited on Belize. But as far as I know, they can't do it."

Notwithstanding, this afternoon, the Football Federation of Belize announced that it is playing two international games, leading up to the World Cup Brazil 2011. The first will be played at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Trinidad and Tobago against Montserrat and the return match will be held at the F.F.B. Field in Belmopan on June nineteenth. And in respect of the issue of decertification by the National Sports Council, the F.F.B. says that it has not violated any grounds for it to be suspended.

Channel 5

PM: FFB Can't Field Nat'l Selection

Since Friday we've been reporting that the Football Federation of Belize has been de-certified, meaning the sports council no longer recognizes it as a sports body in Belize.

Well, today, after a long and stony silence, the FFB spoke up, sort of. In a release that, at first, makes out that everything is just "hunky-dory", the FFB talks about the road to World Cup Brazil 2014 and a two game series to be played in Trinidad and Tobago against Montserrat with a return match at the FFB Field in Belmopan on Sunday June 19th. The release advises that tickets for this international match are for sale.

And then, almost as an aside, the release states the FFB "was registered in accordance with the Sports Act." It adds that "The National Sports Council kept changing the requirements for registration and, quote, "we have not been informed of grounds (for suspension)."

It closes with the bold declaration: "until all legal issues have been cleared; the FFB shall and will continue to represent Belizean Football for Belize."

Well, Sports Minister John Saldivar isn't having it. A release from the Ministry of Sports says it has written the Football Federation of Belize informing the body that it "is not authorized to represent this Country in any local or international competition or in any other forum for football on behalf of the Government, People and Nation of Belize."

At Today's press conference, the Prime Minister, while confessing unfamiliarity with the issue, said the principle of national team credentials is clear:

Jules Vasquez
"Finally, should the national team - the national football team - be allowed to travel and operate as the Belize National Football Team, when they play in Trinidad against Montserrat, I believe in the coming weeks - assuming they get a visa?"

Prime Minister Dean Barrow
"Well I don't see how they can, apparently there are processes - I'm not as familiar with the issue clearly as the Minister of Sports, but there are processes that have come to a head, and that have resulted in the sort of decertification of FFB. And so, it is my information that in those circumstances, the team can't style itself the National Football Team. And from what I gather, it's not even so much a question for Government - that FIFA would not allow it. There will be some consequences, I gather, visited on Belize, but far as I know, they can't do it."

According to reliable reports, the national section has been denied US visas to transit through Miami to Trinidad for next Wednesday's game because the FFB has been stripped of its national status.

The Ministry has written to governing bodies UNCAF and CONCACAF on this decision, and the Minister has written to FIFA President, Joseph Blatter, to inform him of the decision taken by the Ministry.

Channel 7

Last edited by Marty; 06/09/11 08:22 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.