FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5 and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Photo exhibit showcase San Pedro fishing history
On display are old photos of the founders of the Caribe�a Producers Cooperative and some of the staff members. Also pictured are well known fishermen on the island, some of whom are deceased, and even stages of development in San Pedro that are tied with the fishing trade. Of particular interest is perhaps the first few photographs of an airplane on the island in the late 1940's. The seaplane was used to transport conch and lobster from San Pedro to Miami, USA and was referred to as "Catalina" by the locals back in the 1940's. Catalina was a type of seaplane used in World War II by the US military.

Schools across the Island hold Graduation Ceremonies
Four island primary schools and three preschool held graduation ceremonies over the past weekend. First up to celebrate 2014 Commencement Exercise was New Horizon Seventh Day Adventist School who held their ceremonies on Thursday, June 19th at the school's campus. The ceremony was held under the theme "God's love and education are our treasures". Giving [�]

Island Cup Tournament set to begin
Football teams on Ambergris Caye are being invited to be a part of the first ever Island Cup Tournament. The competition is open to male football teams in San Pedro Town and they will be competing over the course of several weeks for cash prizes, trophies and medals. Local coordinator of the tournament, Ernildo Jones [�]

The Belize Airport Authority has new board of directors
The Belize Airport Authority (BAA) has a new board of directors after it was dismantled six months ago following a major scandal. Even though no official announcement was made by the Government of Belize (GOB), The San Pedro Sun can confirm that the new board has been meeting, and that two of the new board [�]

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Tourism Eco Camp Promo
The Cayo Tour Guide Association has released an epic promo for their upcoming Summer Tourism Eco Camp. It shows a little from the different places they'll be taking the students. Black Rock Lodge, Belize Botanic Gardens, Chechem Ha, and Xunantunich are all on there. You can still get raffle tickets and help out. Thanks, CTGA! "Sure enough, here we are. It is amazing the level of energy needed to do the logistics for the camp. First of all, we needed the finance and after a few letters were sent out to the local business community, places like Bancaneaux, Turtle Inn, Cahal Pech Resort and Banyan Bay Villas contacted us willing to help. They gave us lodging for 2 nights for 4 persons, so raffle tickets were done. Our second raffle is still available for purchase for $5.00 a chance, for which the single prize is 2 nights at Cahal Pech Resort and 2 nights at Banyan Bay Villas, both are for 4 four persons. "

The Reporter

Man shot
Information reaching the Weekend Reporter Online is that a man was shot at around 5:30 on Saturday evening in Belize City. Unconfirmed reports are that the victim, Malcolm Wagner, was shot to the back in the Saint Martin de Porres area of Belize City.

Luke Palacio says ROC will address national concerns
The Rod of Correction (ROC) comprised of representation from a cross-section of the various unions and social partners, was present at Thursday's court proceeding of former government minister, Elvin Penner. President of the National Trade Union Congress of Belize, Luke Palacio, said that ROC has a number of concerns and the BNTU, Belize National Teachers Union, of which Palacio is also the president, had called for a thorough investigation of the passport/visa scandal. Palacio explained to reporters that ROC feels the government has been disrespectful. "This organization was born out of the fact that a number of our civil society organizations are experiencing the same thing that COLA is experiencing", he said. "The matter of the disrespect and abuse that continues to happen, we are saying that yes, we are beginning a movement that has no political partisan act that has to do with national issues," he continued.

Police suspect foul play in man's death
Belize City police are investigating the sudden death of a man whose corpse was discovered on Saturday morning on Orange Street. Police suspect that foul play was involved in the death of Samuel Miguel, 22.

Corruption charges filed against Argentine VP
Amado Boudou, Argentine Vice President faces up to six years in jail following charges of corruption. Mr. Boudou is accused of using his influence when he was Argentina's economy minister to ensure that a contract to print that country's currency was given to a company he controlled. Earlier this month, a judge questioned him for more than seven hours in a private session. The judge ruled that Mr. Boudou would remain free while awaiting trial. In addition to Mr. Boudou, Argentine authorities have charged five other suspects. Mr. Boudou has denied any wrongdoing and has rejected demands to step down.

Patrick JonesPJ

Participants of road safety training get certification
A graduation was held on Friday afternoon for participants of capacity building training course on road safety. Nineteen young men and women from across the country completed the Youth for Road Safety capacity building workshop and received their certificates during ceremonies held at the George Price Center for Peace and Development in Belmopan. Among the dignitaries present at the graduation were Minister of Education Patrick Faber and Caribbean Development Bank representative Glen McCravel.

Body found in open lot in Belize City
Police in Belize City are investigating the death of a man whose body was found early this morning. It is not certain if foul play was involved. The body of the man was found in an open lot just off Orange Street, across from Lin Chi Wholesale, formerly Xtra House, around 6 o'clock this morning. The name of the person has not yet been released by authorities and a police investigation continues.

Blogs

From Ambergris Caye to Placencia the EASY WAY For Day One of Placencia's Lobsterfest
If you follow SanPedroScoop.com on Facebook, you are probably sick of my excitement about this weekend but to me, it's exciting. Belize's two oldest Lobster Festivals, Placencia and Caye Caulker - opposite sides of the country, in one weekend. And, if you've follow my blog, you've seen how I usually make this north to south Belize journey. Just like I did it about a month ago. Water taxi from San Pedro to Belize City and then a 5 hour bus ride south�and so on and so forth.

A Life On The Beach In Corozal, Belize
Kyler and Gerard Cordts relish living in the home they designed for themselves on their personal beach. Their expansive living room affords a view of the sparkling, tranquil bay. Just a few steps beyond their doors they can enjoy a quick dip�or take their Hobie Cat out for a spin. "We rarely see a boat go by. We have total privacy here," says Kyler. Before moving to Belize, the Cordts lived quite a different lifestyle in New York and New Jersey. They owned several successful clothing boutiques in New York and were involved in the local Greenwich Village scene. Their historic home, in nearby New Jersey, was a 15-minute commute from work. They were engrossed in the hustle and bustle of a metropolitan lifestyle, surrounded by 9 million others. Over time, the cost of the high-end Manhattan lifestyle took a toll. With four daughters, the college and wedding bills eroded the Cordts' nest egg. Kyler says, "We realized that we couldn't afford to maintain that same lifestyle once we retired."

International Sourcesizz

Mayans and Mennonites
One of my favorite experiences while traveling through Campeche was seeing the many Mennonite communities along the way. As a German I was curious. Persecuted for their beliefs, the Mennonites had left the German speaking parts of central Europe hundreds of years ago. And up until now, I had never encountered them. Walking through a local market, I found myself being transported back in time. In the sea of short Mayans, there were tall, pale women in dark floral-print dresses and men in black overalls, plaid shirts and straw hats. It was surreal. Although I couldn't stop staring at them, I was mostly curious about their Germanic language. After all, they were my people (or so I thought). A few days later, we finally had a chance to talk to them. While visiting an archaeological site near Hopelchen, we met a young Mennonite couple who had just emigrated from Ontario. In fact, many of the 100,000 Mennonites in Mexico today are descendents from Canadian Mennonites who started settling in Mexico in the 1920s. Surprisingly, the couple opened up to us quickly. They had obviously experienced major culture shock and were not yet "trained" in handling corrupt Mexican officials. In addition, they had to deal with the not-so-friendly-welcome by the locals who fear that Mennonites are buying up all the land.

Videos

Video: Tourism Eco Camp, 1min.
Cayo tour guide association presents Tourism Eco Camp.

Video: Belize - Reef Puppies, 4min.

Video: The Prisoner Belize pt 1, 9min.
Belize Central Prison

Video: The Prisoner Belize pt 2, 16min.
Belize Central Prison

Video: The Prisoner Belize pt 3, 15min.
Belize Central Prison

Video: Belize April 2014, 6min.
Compilation of footage from diving in Belize April 2014. Sites were Glovers Reef, Gladden Spit, and Lighthouse Reef. Filmed with a 5dmkiii in a Nauticam housing - Canon 16-35mm wide angle lens. All footage filmed in natural light. Diving services provided by Hamanasi Resort.

Video: Belize & Guatemala 2014 | Caye Caulker | Flores | San Ignacio, 4min.
A short and sweet trip to Belize and Guatemala with Gladys. May 2014.

Beautiful driving in Belize, 18min.
Driving from Belmopan to Placencia Village - A Beautiful way to look at Belize is by Driving. Driving from Belmopan to Placencia take pass many Villages, Rivers and streams. This video capture made 40% of what you will see on your drive. As you get closer to placencia you will notice to Banana and orange fields.

Video: Hol Chan reserve/Shark Ray Alley-Belize, 3min.

Video: Caye Caulker, Belize, Rommy, Born To Be Wild!, 6min.
Rommy, Rainy, James, Allie, Scott & The Barrier Reefers Band 2014, Born To Be Wild!

Video: 061814 Belize, 53min.
Cruise ship expedition from the Carnival Legend

Video: Belize Caves, 3min.
Cave tubing, large group