The news will be a bit brief for the next week or so due to time constraints

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Marco Gonzalez Archaeological Reserve Celebrates the Summer Solstice
The summer solstice, which usually falls between June 19th and June 25th, is the longest day of the year and the official first day of summer. Also referred to as mid-summer, the day is recognized worldwide among many cultures in the way of holidays, festivals and rituals, with themes of religion, fertility and good fortune. The Maya are no different, and their ancient architecture indicates that the celestial event held great significance, with temples, public buildings and other structures often precisely aligned with the shadows cast by the astrological phenomena of summer and winter solstice. Therefore, it was only fitting that for the second year in a row this day of grand importance was celebrated at the Marco Gonzalez Archaeological Reserve here on Ambergris Caye. Located just 5.5 miles south of San Pedro Town, dozens of guests gravitated to the Maya site on the morning of Saturday, June 21st to be a part of a special ceremony officiated by 87 year-old Kekchi Maya Elder Mr. Martin Choc. Choc, who speaks Kekchi and Spanish, traveled with his grandson Jose from the southern district of Toledo.

Caye Note: San Pedro Sports Committee to host amateur triathlon
The San Pedro Sports Committee invites all amateur athletes to participate in a triathlon competition (swim, bike and run) on Sunday, June 28th. The triathlon will coincided with the Dia de San Pedro festivities and will be held at Boca Del Rio Park starting at 9AM. The competition will be divided into three categories: 13 years and under, 15 years and under, 16 and over, and new comers. Everyone must arrive at least 20 minutes prior to the start of the race to register. Cash prizes and trophies will be awarded to top finishers. For more information contact Councilor Hector "Tito Alamilla at 623-0772 or Kent "Bob" Gabourel 604-9013. Everyone is invited to come out and take the challenge!

Letter to the Editor: San Pedro Lobster Festival Committee says THANK YOU
The San Pedro Lobster Festival Committee takes this opportunity to express our sincere appreciation and heartfelt THANKS to everyone who supported the event and ensured its success. We would like to thank our Grand Sponsors, the Belize Tourism Board and the Honorable Minister Manuel Heredia for their generous support towards the 2015 San Pedro Lobster Festival. Very special thanks to Mayor Danny Guerrero for your speech at the Block Party and to the San Pedro Town Council for all your hard work arranging the booths, supplying the tents and erecting the stage and providing a electrician to name only a few items handled by the council. Thanks also to Grand Sponsors Bowen & Bowen Ltd. and the Belize Border Management Agency for your contributions. Thanks to Atlantic Bank Ltd. for allowing us to use your premises. To Maya Island Air for your donation and Casa Pan Dulce for hosting our entertainers. Special thanks to all the participating businesses in the Lobster Crawl and to those who donated prizes towards the grand raffle. Thanks also to the booth participants who put out excellent food and drinks.

Honor St. Peter at the 2015 Dia de San Pedro
Dia de San Pedro is upon us once more and the San Pedro Town Council (SPTC) has announced dates for the various activities held to celebrate the islands patron saint. The annual week-long event honors St. Peter (San Pedro), the patron saint of Fishermen, Bakers, Bridge builders, Butchers, Harvesters, Cordwainers, Horologists, Locksmiths, Cobblers, Masons, Net makers, The Papacy, and Shipwrights. For years, Dia de San Pedro has combined religion, culture and festive activities to create one of the most anticipated celebrations in the island. Festivities started from Saturday, June 20th with La Bajada at 4AM. But the celebration does not peak until Friday, June 26th after six days of novenas (a devotion ceremony consisting of prayer). Kicking off the main festivities is the first ever Dia de San Pedro Junior Karaoke Competition. Everyone is invited to come out to the Honorable Louis Sylvester Sporting Complex on Friday, June 26th at 6:30PM to witness San Pedro's rising stars sing the night away. There will also be local dance entertainment and an after party with DJ Mauricio.

Island youth graduate from primary school
Four primary school commencement exercises were held over the weekend. Standard six students from New Horizon Seventh Day Adventist School (NHSDA), San Pedro Roman Catholic Primary School (SPRCS), Isla Bonita Elementary School (IBES) and Holy Cross Anglican School (HCAS) who successfully completed their primary education were honored in a presentation of diplomas in front of family and friends. As this chapter in education closes, the new graduates now embark in their high school journey. NHSDA held their graduation ceremonies on Thursday, June 18th at the school grounds. This year marked their 15th commencement exercise and saw 64 students graduated. The ceremonies were held under the theme "Chase your dreams, following the road to Christ". Elias Zetina was class salutatorian and delivered the welcome address, while class valedictorian went to Michael Carmona. Following the guest speaker address by Rocio Burgos, Miguel Hernandez delivered the principal's report. Naim Luna ended the ceremony with the vote of thanks.

Costa Maya Festival presents: Miss Honduras
As plans for the International Costa Maya Festival® continue to build and grow, we get to know the lovely ladies who will be participating in the Reina de la Costa Maya® pageant. Eight countries have confirmed their intent to participate in the highly anticipated pageant, and this week, we are pleased to present to you one of our neighboring countries' beauties, Miss Honduras: Vanessa Salazar Valle. Vanessa is 22 years of age, and stands at 5'7" tall, with dark hair and eyes. The marketing student is a sport enthusiast who particularly enjoys basketball and baseball, and speaks both English and Spanish. Vanessa joins Miss Costa Rica Corlina On Porras as they both await the announcement of the remaining 2015 Reina de La Costa Maya® pageant contestants. They will be joined onstage on Thursday August 6th by Miss Belize, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua and Panama in the quest to take the coveted crown currently held by Miss Mexico Elisa Gomez.

Ambergris Today

BTB and Hon. Manuel Heredia Grand Sponsors of Costa Maya Festival
The Costa Maya Festival is pleased to announce the support of the Belize Tourism Board (BTB) and Hon. Manuel Heredia, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Civil Aviation as Grand Sponsors of this year's festival. Taking place from August 6 to August 8, 2015, the San Pedro International Costa Maya Festival is making grounds in preparations for the star-studded event and the Miss Costa Maya Pageant. This week the festival committee presents the Miss Honduras contestant. A former Miss Tegucigalpa queen, model Gabriela Vanessa Salazar Valle will have the honor in representing her country of Honduras at the Miss Coata Maya Pageant 2015. Gabriela is 22 years old, stands five feet seven inches tall, has dark brown eyes and black hair with a clear brown complexion. Her hobbies include basketball and baseball, plus she has a degree in marketing.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

MADA FISH! Melvin Flippin Resigns
Statement by Melvin Hulse "I yesterday informed the UDP Stann Creek West executive committee of my decision to resign as UDP standard-bearer for the constituency. And I today delivered the formal letter of resignation to the UDP secretariat and to the Party Leader. I wish to make clear that I remain a member of the United Democratic Party, and am completely committed to the party and to the people of Stann Creek West. Indeed, I will work actively with my successor to bring a UDP general election victory in the constituency. I, of course, greatly regret the circumstances that have caused me to come to my decision. What I said about my Party leader in connection with the resignations from the House of Joseph Mahmud and Ivan Ramos, is utterly untrue.

Belize Fashion Week 2015
Check out WHAT'S NEW on Belize Fashion Week 2015 - performance by Denise Castillo // after party with DJ Dzl and International Award Winning DJ DJ Geraldo - GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!

5 - A - Side Marathon in San Pedro June 28
Bring The Entire Family for Football 5 - A - Side Marathon

Ms. Mishelle Spain Thompson passes away
Mayor Daniel Guerrero, the San Pedro Town Council and Staff would like to extend its deepest condolences to the Spain/Thompson family & friends on the passing of Ms. Mishelle Spain Thompson. May her soul rest in peace.

The Secret Garden Fashion Show
Gabriela Barrera, founder of Add!ction, has posted some pictures from her Secret Garden Fashion Show, which was held at Midas Resort. More pictures here. "Fashion Show 2015 MUA: Vanessa Awe Photos by: 501 Boys Productions Back Stage and Runway Photos!!"

Caricom Basketball Marathon
Happy Caricom Week! This Saturday, starting at 12:30pm, there will be a basketball marathon at Falcon Field. Call 604-4452 for more information.

BCS Father's Day Gala
The San Ignacio branch of the Belize Cancer Society is having their 2nd annual Father's Day Gala fundraiser. It'll be at the San Ignacio Resort Hotel's Bedran Hall, so you know the food will be superb. The New Sensation Band will be providing the entertainment.

Channel 7

Inside The Arraignment of The Santa Cruz 13
Last night, we showed you a small excerpt of the extraordinary day at the Magistrate's Court in Punta Gorda Town. 13 Mayas from Santa Cruz village were arraigned, accused of unlawfully detaining Rupert Myles on Saturday, June 20. Tonight we have the full report on the day from PG - a day that won't soon be forgotten: Daniel Ortiz reporting About an hour before the scheduled arraignment, a number of Maya supporters began lining the verandah of the Punta Gorda Magistrate's Court. Right next door, police officers from different units had gathered. The Punta Gorda formation was reinforced with out-of-town officers from the Special Patrol Unit, ADU, and Mobile Interdiction Team. In the back of one of the vehicles, the police had riot shields and helmets ready. They were prepared to contain any disruptive behavior from the Mayas, but on this day, all the spectators were calmly waiting to see their people charged and bailed. Everyone was ready - that is - everyone except the defendants. The predawn police raid on Santa Cruz left a number of them without shirts or footwear - and they could not appear before the judge like that.

"Flipping" Falls On Sword
The man called "Flipping" - has flipped himself right out of candidacy for the UDP. Last night in Stann Creek, Melvin Hulse told his committee that he was resigning - and today he made it official with this release from the UDP. In it, Hulse doesn't just fall on his sword, he jumps on it! In his statement, he says, quote, "What I said about my Party leader in connection with the resignations from the House of Joseph Mahmud and Ivan Ramos, is utterly untrue." He adds, quote, "I freely retract it because I knew it could not be true even when I said it. I was upset and disgruntled at the time, but that should never have caused me to say what I said with no basis at all. So I apologize and move on now to re-establish my personal and party relationship with Dean Barrow and the UDP." End of story for Hulse's political career, but not his end with the UDP. In a signed, handwritten letter of resignation, he names the man who will more than likely be his successor. In that letter, he said, quote, "�I ask(ed) the executive to meet and select a good person to carry the torch for the upcoming elections. The Executive selected Nathan Young, the Chairman of the Stann Creek West executive." End Quote.

Well Known Taximan Killed
Last night - it was murder again in the city - the second in four days. This time the target was a well-known taxi-man from the City Bus Terminal. 39-year-old Patrick Dean Tillett was at a residence on Cairo Street when he was riddled with a hail of gunfire. Monica Bodden found out more from his family today:... Ian Arana - Brother of Deceased "I had one of my good friend from out of the police department who called me and told me that Dean Tillet got shot. I asked him 'are you serious?' and he said 'yes' so immediately I got up and went out to the area." Monica Bodden reporting By that time 39 year old Taxi driver Patrick Tillett had already been rushed to the KHMH -where he succumbed to his injuries only minutes later. The shooting happened here on Cairo Street just five minutes before 10 last night. Tillett was sitting on a cement block in front of this this house socializing - when several shots were fired in his direction.

Second Teenaged Male Shot in Less Than 72 Hours
In less than 72 hours two male high school students were shot in the head- disturbingly in the same neighborhood. The first was 15 year old Tyrique Thompson on Monday night, and just before 10 last night,16 year old Ruben Leslie - a first form student of Wesley College was shot in his forehead. Leslie was riding his bicycle on Magazine Road on his way home -when approaching the corner of Banak Street and Magazine Road- a gunman came out from a nearby yard and fired several shots in his direction. The young man was shot in his left leg and forehead and was quickly rushed to the KHMH - where today he is listed in a critical condition. Voice of Friend "He was riding up the street and then I saw somebody ran out from an open lot and pulled him backway, like turn him towards them and then the guy shot him and he fell, then he shot him again, then the person run back and then I hurry call the police and the police came and took him to the hospital." Monica Bodden "You didn't see the gunman. We are getting that on the record. You just saw him from all the way up the street?" Voice of Friend "Yes ma'am. I didn't see his face or anything, because it was really dark and the person was dark skin and he had on full black, so I couldn't see him. The only reason I knew it was Reuben is because I was watching him from a long distance and I didn't take my eyes off him and he had on white."

Brightest PSE "Pikni"
Today the 28 top achievers for PSE were officially honored in a ceremony at the Bliss Center. After all the long and tedious nights of studying and extra PSE classes, these students can move on to another phase of their lives. We spoke to several of the students along with their parents about how personal dedication and family and school support translated to the students success. Hon. Patrick Faber, Minister of Education "28 students topped the exam this year nationwide, and so all of them are here today, all of them received their awards. For those top performers, I think they received a full scholarship and a book grant. That's something that we changed some years ago and of course the 3 top performers received computers and I think the top one also received a printer. And of course the Nembhard scholarship award." Madyson Burrowes, Top Achiever "I feel very proud of myself because I didn't expect to rank this position, I was just planning on passing with a good grade, but hard work pays off so...." Courtney Weatherburne "As a parent, and I'm sure that you are overwhelmed with joy seeing your daughter getting her award and accomplishing this at this stage in her life. Tell us about your role in terms of her preparing for the PSE and reaching this point."

Patrick No Apologies For Petro Tacos
The Minister of Education, Patrick Faber has been called out and publicly condemned for organizing a fun day in Corozal for his Collett constituents - courtesy petro funds from the Mother's Day/Father's Day cheer program. As we reported the chamber even sent out a release earlier this month stating that it was a blatant misuse of the Petro Caribe Loan Funds. Well while everyone is "sweating fever " over Faber's Family Fun Fest and his "petr-tacos" - Faber and his constituents couldn't be bothered. In fact Faber told us today that he makes no apologies and that he is already planning for another outing next year. Faber told us that the total cost of the family day was about $36,000 dollars.

Playing Cagey With Guat Gunboat
The 65 foot Guatemalan Navy Gunboat was removed from the reef on June 13th and the Department of Environment's final assessment of damages has been completed. But the thing is - no official report has been sent to Guatemalan authorities. So what's the delay? Well when we asked Foreign Affairs Minister Wilfred Elrington, he told us that it is in the process of being prepared and finalized. Hon. Wilfred Elrington, Minister of Foreign Affairs "I know it's being worked on, but the CEO is right in the other room. You could ask him. He is the man that is dealing with directly. But I know that he has discussed with me. I received the assessment and he was in the process of getting the message sent to the Guatemalans to inform them of it and see how the arrangement can be made for payment." Courtney Weatherburne "Sir, lastly on that note, looking at the public opinion, it is being widely spread that somehow we are being soft with the Guatemalans - that looking at the issue in the Sarstoon Island with the Territorial Volunteers as well as this gun boat as well - having the gun boat leave before the final assessment has been made. How do you respond to that criticism that it's simply appeasement or we are being too soft with them looking at all those issues?"

Inflation Down
The Statistical Institute of Belize says that prices in May of this year were 1% lower than the year before - putting inflation at minus 0.9%. And declining 'Transport' costs account for the difference, because of lower fuel prices. The SIB notes that "International airfares were also significantly lower, declining by almost one fourth compared to last May." And the price for Butane, or LPG fell by nine dollars from May of last year to May 2015. For food items, the price of beef products rose sharply, more than 10 percentage points while Red Kidney beans were down by more than one third compared to last May. Dangriga was the only municipality where an overall increase in consumer prices - 1.8% was recorded in May. The biggest average drop was seen in Belmopan, which had an inflation rate of negative 2 percent, followed by San Ignacio/Santa Elena with negative 1.8 percent.

Teenaged Pregnancy, Finding Solutions For A Social Sickness
Today a forum on teenaged pregnancy was held at the Radisson under the theme: Call to action: Adolescent Pregnancy in the Caribbean. Now, there have been countless national discussions on this issue, numerous sexual reproductive health fairs and workshops, even quantitative studies done but the reality is that -children are still getting pregnant. When we spoke to the CEO of Human Development Judith Alpuche, she told us that this issue is a complex and multilayered one that all efforts to address this issue will need to be doubled. Sheila Roseau, Director, UNFPA Sub-region Office for the Caribbean "The reality is, generally the Caribbean has one of the highest prevalent rate of adolescent pregnancy and generally the birth-rate per country per thousand is normally 49 per thousand. In the Caribbean it's 65, in that number you have adolescence per thousand, a given example, we have the highest which is Guyana. That is 97 per thousand, so can you imagine every thousand birth, 97 belongs to a young person. Belize also has a high number, 90. That is 25% of the general birth-rate of the general population, that's quite high. We also have Jamaica as well coming up with a high number which is 72 and the list goes on. Its high in many of the countries and it's something that we cannot afford to overlook. CARICOM has seen the need for strategies to be put in place to prevent this from happening, to reduce this number and we have worked with CARICOM to develop a strategic framework. The goal of that framework is to reduce adolescent pregnancy by 20% by the year 2019."

Sparks Fly At Teachers Petro-Consult
Tomorrow in the House of Representatives, government will present the amended Petrocaribe Loans Act - and last night the Belize National Teachers Union held a public forum on that same topic - featuring Audrey Matura Shepherd, Mose Hyde, and Patrick Rogers. All of them have taken public positions opposing the Petrocaribe Loans Act, and we would have expected the public forum to follow that script. But, the script got flipped when a good many who support the bill showed up to take on the panelists. Things got heated and we got video of it from KREM TV:..

Channel 5

Santa Cruz: Unlawful Imprisonment, Predawn Raid, Mass Arraignment
Tonight, impassioned debate continues to dominate over the incident in Santa Cruz, Toledo in which a Creole man, Rupert Myles, was ordered detained and handcuffed by the community alcalde.� That [...]

PG Police Refute Allegations of Physical Abuse During Early Morning Ops
Following the arraignment of the group of eleven, allegations of physical abuse by personnel from the Special Patrol Unit are being refuted by Superintendent Simeon Alvarez, Officer Commanding Punta Gorda [...]

Are Racism and Land Ownership at a Crossroad in Toledo?
The race card, as we've mentioned in our coverage of this incident, is on prominent display, having been played by Rupert Myles in the wake of his detention on Saturday.� [...]

Flippin' Steps Down As U.D.P. Standard Bearer for Stann Creek West
To nobody's great surprise, Melvin Hulse is no longer the Standard Bearer for the United Democratic Party in Stann Creek West. The news came via official U.D.P. press release today, [...]

Cab Driver Gunned Down in Old Capital
There have been four shootings in less than forty-eight hours in the Old Capital. And tonight, one man is dead and two others are in critical condition at the Karl [...]

16 Year-Old Minor is Brain Dead After Being Shot on Banak Street
But it is likely that police will have another homicide on their hands. Sixteen year old Reuben Leslie, a student of a George Price Highway address, was shot multiple times [...]

Patrick Faber on Hulse's Leaked Recording
As we told you earlier, Melvin Hulse has retracted comments he made about the prime minister and earlier today, he followed up with a resignation as U.D.P. standard bearer in [...]

P.U.P. Deputy Leader Says Flippin's Resignation is Simply Damage Control
Hulse's departure from U.D.P. politics comes in the wake of him making very serious allegations against his Party Leader and Prime Minister. Hulse was recorded while speaking at length about [...]

Julius Espat Says Santa Cruz Debacle is About Respect and Rule of Law
The ugly situation which is now playing out in Santa Cruz, Toledo will likely not blow over. It incorporates the cloudy issue of communal land rights, religion and cultural diversity, [...]

P.S.E. Top Scorers Honored by Ministry of Education
The IQ at the Bliss went up today as primary school students from across the country converged for the annual national P.S.E. Award Ceremony. Top scorers were honored and walked [...]

Landowner Emilio Zabaneh on Purchasing Parcel on Communal Land
The situation of communal land rights is in the forefront of the news this week, and it's brought with it a peripheral, but very serious issue. Here it is in [...]

Single Mother Charged with Drug Trafficking
Tonight a single mother of three is facing court fines of ten thousand dollars which she must pay by November of this year or serve three years prison time. Thirty-five [...]

Burrell Boom Motorist Arraigned for Manslaughter
Forty-one year old Burrell Boom Driver, Eddison Dawson was arraigned this week again in the Belize City Magistrate's Court for two traffic related offenses stemming from a fatal accident that [...]

UNFPA Tackles Teenage Pregnancy Across the Caribbean
Teenage pregnancy is a growing issue for Belize and the wider Caribbean region, and more so as the teen moms are of a younger age every year. The call for [...]

CTV3

Melvin Hulse Resigns As UDP Standard Bearer For Stann Creek West
Following the burning confessions recorded in a secret tape in which he is heard speaking badly about his party leader, UDP Stann Creek West Standard Bearer Melvin Hulse, this afternoon released a statement in which indicated that he has decided to resign as the UDP standard bearer for his constituency. In his statement to the public, Hulse states and we quote, "Today I delivered the formal letter of resignation to the UDP secretariat and to the Party Leader. I wish to make clear that I remain a member of the United Democratic Party, and am completely committed to the party and to the people of Stann Creek West. Indeed, I will work actively with my successor to bring a UDP general election victory in the constituency" end quote. The release goes on to state that "I, of course, greatly regret the circumstances that have caused me to come to my decision. What I said about my Party leader in connection with the resignations from the House of Joseph Mahmud and Ivan Ramos is utterly untrue. I freely retract it because I knew it could not be true even when I said it. I was upset and disgruntled at the time, but that should never have caused me to say what I said with no basis at all. So I apologize and move on now to re-establish my personal and party relationship with Dean Barrow and the UDP", end of release.

Undelivered Cane Remains In The Field As Crop Comes To An End
So what's the expected outlook for the remaining 13 days in the Sugar Cane Crop season? That is the question we posed to Chair of the SICB, Gabriel Martinez today who is calling on all group leaders to give priority to those farmers who have not been able to deliver or meet their quotas. GABRIEL MARTINEZ - Chairman, Sugar Industry Control Board "The challenge is those farmers who have not delivered their quota, some who haven't delivered a piece of sugar cane, we are calling on all the Asscociations and all the group leaders to ensure and to do their very best to have these people to deliver their cane and it is for the benefit of all and I see that apart from the weather considitions to be a priority as we go through these last days in the crop." Maria Novelo - Reporter "Will you guys access a percentage of cane that will be left undelivered?" GABRIEL MARTINEZ - Chairman, Sugar Industry Control Board "Not at this time, however there is a study being carried on by SIRDI and we are having a meeting of the Sugar Industry Control Board next week Wednesday at which time we will have a status report on that study which will give us an idea of basically on how we are finishing the crop in terms of the amount of cane that was deliverd and the amount of cane that is still on the ground so basically next week we will have an idea about that."

Mayor Kevin Bernard Weighs On Santa Cruz Issue
Since the incident in Santa Cruz Village in the Toledo District erupted, there have been countless opinions expressed over the radio, TV and social media. It has definitely been a subject of discussion in households and the discussion goes on. Today Orange Walk Town Mayor, Kevin Bernard issued a statement on the matter. The Mayor says that he, like many, views the recent event in shock but continues on to "urge Belizeans to attempt to learn the facts surrounding the detention of Belizean Rupert Myles in Santa Cruz, Toledo, and the subsequent arrest and arraignment of MLA Spokesperson Cristina Coc and other Mayan residents of the village on Wednesday" unquote. He goes on to say and again we quote, "It is irresponsible, careless and regressive for any of us to make wild leaps and engage in reckless word-play and fear-mongering without being in possession of all the facts�Information is power, and all the excessive speculation and hatred being spewed, especially on the social media, is regrettable," unquote. The Mayor also urged the Prime Minister Dean Barrow to remember that he is leader of the nation and that his words carry great weight and implication needing care on his part. He ended his statement saying, quote, "Racial division in Belize cannot be encouraged in any form or fashion. That is a dangerous road to take, and I caution all of us to step back before embarking on that journey," unquote.

Three Cane Farmers Associations Working Towards One Goal
As mentioned at the top of the newscast the 2014/2015 crop season will come to an end on July 7th and with only two weeks before the crop season closes, the presumption is that the inclement weather would pose a challenge to farmers getting their sweet cargo to the mill. But according to Martinez, rain is not a factor. "Perhaps you and I would say that we have had a lot of rain but the farmers say that the rain that we have gotten is not what they consider to be a factor that will deter them from moving on and putting their efforts to get their cane to the factory, they should know very well they are the experts on the ground but it is a factor that we need to consider because you know everybody is into the issue of ensuring that we have quality cane in the factory so and that of course we have to monitor but unfortunateky we can't do anything with the weather no." And with the Corozal Sugar Cane Producers Association and the United Cane Farmers Association officially registered, the Sugar Industry Control Board had its hands full working with three associations instead of one as has been the case for more than 50 years. Martinez says the relationship with the different associations has been a "cordial" one.

Woodrow West Makes It To Honduras
After his admirable performance in the CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers, Woodrow West was approached by Honduras' El Progresso Football Club who presented him a 3 year contract which he signed last week. West rise to fame came after proving himself both home and on the international scene. He flew out of the country en route to Honduras last night and arrived today. A recent post on his face book page stated that he is grateful to God for his safe arrival, and apologizes for having forgotten his goal keeper coach Mr. Kent who trained with him unlimitedly and encouraged him towards his entire career in Belize. In his public profile statement West stated in his own words "Big up coach thanks for everything".

East Indian Council Of Belize Weighs In On Myles Issue
And today the East Indian Council of Belize issued statement on its position surrounding Myles detention and the way he was treated by villagers. In their statement, EIC says that the incident has served to highlight a situation that has prevailed within the Mayan communities for a long time. The statement goes on to make reference to an incident that took place in the late 1990's when a Rastafarian was allegedly killed at Medina Bank Village in quote, "very unusual circumstance," end of quote. It also references the incident where Mayan villagers reportedly set fire to the crocodile sanctuary on the Rio Grande in San Marcos. The EIC says that the incident involving Myles is being cloaked by using the Alcalde System and is calling on the government to eliminate that system as it is quote, "antiquated and has outlived its usefulness," end of quote. The statement ends calling on Mayan villagers to cease their actions as quote, "we cannot, as a people, long survive if bias, grudge, prejudice and racial discrimination pervades our societies," end of quote.

2014/2015 Crop Season Comes To An End July 7th
Yesterday, officials of the Sugar Industry Control Board met with representatives from BSI/ASR and the three associations for a crop update meeting where several matters were discussed including the date for the closure of the sugar cane crop season. The agreement for the end date says Chair of the SICB, Gabriel Martinez, was a flexible decision with the industry's stakeholders. "The Associations would have wanted a little bit more time because well they have their members and they need to deliver but am BSI also have some deadlines that they need to meet particularly as it relates to maintenance of the factory. I was very happy to see them coming up to a mid point, a common date, where BSI was flexible and the associations were flexible, I would say that both were good in justifying their positions but finally they came up with July the 7th which I think well you know perhaps is not the best date for the farmers but I like the spirit in which they came up with that final cloure of the factory for this crop. It was agreed that the crop comes to a closure on July 7th at six in the evening so the SICB being the body that sanctions this type of relationships has consulted with its member and has put forward that notice to all so the crop will close on July 7th at 6pm."

LOVE FM

Students graduate from Police GREAT program
Angelica Cruz reporting� "Today 82 students from Kush Lin Ha Ha Government school in Belmopan graduated from the Gang Resistance Education Training Program. These students were taught the middle school 12 lesson curriculum GREAT program which lasted for 8 weeks. Love News spoke to Superintendent Howell Gillett about the GREAT program and its objectives." Supt. [�]

Book on Sustainable development hit bookstores
A new book penned by a Belizean author will be on bookshelves shortly. Dr. Louis Zabaneh has published "The sustainable development of Belize, a citizen's manual. Today we sat down with the author to find out why the topic of sustainable development. Dr. Louis Zabaneh, Author "Our hope is that in the form of a [�]

Date set for close of sugar cane crop season
After 24 weeks, the 2015 sugar cane harvest season will come to a close on July 7, milling a little less than the target quantity projected at the beginning of the season. The decision was not easy to make says Sugar Industry Control Board chairman Gabriel Martinez, but the main stakeholders are aware that it [�]

CEO says while teen pregnancy is a complex issue, more needs to be done
During the official opening of the symposium on adolescent pregnancy in the Caribbean, the keynote address was delivered by the Chief Executive Officer in the Ministry of Human Development, Social Transformation and Poverty Alleviation, Judith Alpuche. She spoke to Love News about the objective of the meeting. Judith Alpuche - CEO, Ministry of Human Development, [�]

Adolescent pregnancy discussed
The spouses of some of the region's heads of government met today for a symposium entitled call to action: adolescent pregnancy in the Caribbean. Minister of Foreign Affairs and Attorney General, Wilfred Elrington addressed the gathering and said the regional problem needs to be addressed. Wilfred Elrington - Minister of Foreign Affairs "As you are [�]

La Inmaculada Credit Union shareholders demands answers
Some member shareholders of the La Inmaculada Credit Union Limited in Orange Walk Town are demanding an update from the institution following the suspension of its General Manager Yolanda Gomez. Since the beginning of May, Gomez has been on administrative leave. Following pressure from members and the media, the board of directors was forced to [�]

Teenager hospitalized following shooting incident
And while Police say they have no suspects in that murder, they have a number of persons detained for questioning in connection with a shooting incident that left a teenager hospitalized in a critical condition. Supt. Hilberto Romero, Head, CIB "At five minutes after ten police responded to a shooting incident at Magazine Road. They [�]

Taxi driver gunned down in Belize City
Belize City Police are investigating the murder of a taxi driver that occurred last night. . Head of CIB, Superintendent Hilberto Romero updated the media. Supt. Hilberto Romero, Head, CIB "At about ten fifteen on Wednesday the 24 of June 2015, police personnel visited the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital where they found Patrick Spencer with [�]

Outstanding students recognized at PSE award ceremony
Today the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports held this year's primary school examination Award Ceremony at the Bliss Center for Performing Art. This year's top PSE performers and schools were recognized. Minster of Education Patrick Faber told Love News that while he congratulates the top performers, the ministry is not fully satisfied with the [�]

Attorney General says Belize is for all Belizeans
Earlier today we caught up with Minister of Foreign Affairs and Attorney General Wilfred Elrington. Minister Elriington said he is not of the view that the situation was racial discrimination but rather a practice by neighbouring Mayan communities. Wilfred Elrington, Minister of Foreign Affairs "You would have seen my position in relation to Guatemala because [�]

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Patrick Faber explains the "Petrocaribe Pibil Party"
The infamous statement by Collet area representative and Minister of Education Patrick Faber at the endorsement convention for Darrell Bradley in Caribbean Shores earlier this month still resonates, as many wonder how a national official could be so cavalier about spending of public funds? How does a Minister [�]

Belize's brightest honored at PSE Awards
The Annual Primary School Examination (PSE) Awards Ceremony took place at the Bliss Center for the Performing Arts today. Top performer Gabriel Hope of Bernice Yorke Institute of Learning and 24 others from around the country were recognized for their efforts as they looked forward to new vistas [�]

Before Melvin Hulse resigns, Patrick Faber distances himself from recording
This afternoon, standard bearer for Stann Creek West Melvin Hulse announced his resignation from that post, forestalling a party meeting to determine his fate after an explosive recording was released at the start of this week detailing his frustrations with the United Democratic Party (UDP) and particularly Prime [�]

BNTU hosts Petrocaribe forum
The Petrocaribe Loans Act is heading back to the House of Representatives for amendments on Friday. But its opponents are not giving up the fight to get it overturned. They gathered at the St. Mary's Parish Hall in Belize City on Wednesday night to vent their frustrations. The [�]

An explanation of why the PSE results are what they are
In the year 2000, the PSE was introduced. The results were far from satisfactory. Today, fifteen years later, the results are not much better. The Minister of Education, many in the Government, and many in the Ministry of Education must be very disappointed. The Minister of Education must [�]

Belize ranks highly in global wellness index
The second annual Gallup-Healthways 2014 Country Well-Being Rankings Report gives high marks to several countries in the Americas, including Belize. Belize ranks fifth behind Panama, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico and Switzerland, and ahead of Chile, Denmark, Guatemala, Austria and Mexico. According to the organization Healthways International in a statement, "The Gallup-Healthways [�]

Operation Tradewinds concludes
A ceremony Wednesday morning at Price Barracks in Ladyville concluded Operation Tradewinds 2015, the annual regional training exercise bringing together military personnel from North and Central America and the Caribbean, along with a few selected South American nations. For nine days, there were challenging military training operations developing both intelligence [�]

Government responds to Head Tax argument in court
The power players in cruise tourism were back in the Supreme Court on Wednesday resuming arguments over - fundamentally - who will control the future of cruise tourism in Belize: will it be the Fort Street Tourism Village, or will it be The Feinstein Group and their Stake Bank Project? [�]

Ministry of Public Service honors outstanding officers
Yesterday in San Pedro, the Ministry of the Public Service observed public service day with an awards ceremony where they recognized outstanding and long serving public officers. And while they had already been rewarded with an 8% increase - they also got some nice plaques and a chance to shake [�]

Hattieville taxi driver brutally murdered while another clings to life
Belize City Police are currently investigating the details surrounding the brutal murder of a taxi driver. According to reports, 39 year old Patrick Dean Tillett was socializing on Cairo Street in Belize City when a lone gunman fired several shots in his direction inflicting wounds to his upper left arm [�]

Blogs

International Sourcesizz

Belize commits to 100 per cent clean energy with Carbon War Room
Belize has announced its intention to become fully powered by renewable energy, after joining the Carbon War Room's high profile Ten Island Challenge. The country's government has this week announced ambitious targets to transition away from fossil fuels for transportation and energy on the Cayes, its outlying islands. The Caribbean nation is expected to particularly focus on installing wind turbines and shifting the islands' transport sector towards electric vehicles. Additionally, a partnership with Belize Electricity will hope to identify other renewable energy opportunities, and energy efficiency retrofits for hospitals will be explored. Senator Joy Grant of the Belize Ministry of Energy, Science & Technology and Public Utilities, expressed the country's enthusiasm for the project. "Belize is extremely pleased to join the Ten Island Challenge," she said. "As a regional leader in the use of renewable energy, this partnership with the Carbon War Room and Rocky Mountain Institute will allow Belize to make significant strides in realising its renewable energy production target of 89 per cent in the electricity sector by 2033."

Remembering Shyne's Phenomenally Bad Comeback Song "Belize"
Whatup, rap nerds? It's the Summer Man subbing in for #TBT. Rest assured, resident Drake Denier and rapologist Angel Diaz hasn't forsaken you, but in light of a busy schedule the gawd let me take the reins for his series this week. Me being the happy Troll that I am, I'm going to use this opportunity not to reflect on a forgotten and/or underrated gem but instead to resurface an abomination. The phrase "so bad it's good," used to describe art that's admittedly awful and yet undeniable, is rarely associated with music the way it is movies and TV. We all have our guilty pleasures, sure, but usually if a song is bad it's just bad. Like, never play that in my presence again. When Shyne finally emerged from Clinton Correctional Facility-after famously taking a hit for Puffy-with a seven-figure Def Jam contract, rap heads eagerly waited for him to tap into that debut album-level heat, Godfather Buried Alive notwithstanding. Instead, he came out the bing with a rap voice approximating a weird cross between Christian Bale's Batman-growl and Bane's weird oxy-mask annunciation* (Yes, I'm aware Tom Hardy's Bane didn't impact until 2012), a stilted, lazy flow, and trash freestyles on everything from Drake's "Over" to Rihanna's "Rude Boy." The rap community was bemused, to say the least.

Corals Are Already Adapting To Climate Change And Humans Might Be Able To Help Them
The effect of warming and acidifying oceans, caused by climate change, is already being felt on corals -- tiny stony-bodied animals that form reefs. Although coral reefs, which are formed as a result of a symbiotic relationship between corals and microscopic algae, cover less than 1 percent of the ocean floor, they support an estimated 25 percent of all marine life, making them delicate biodiversity hotspots. Scientists have now found that certain corals are adapting to climate change and are becoming more tolerant to warmer ocean temperatures. Their findings, published Friday in the journal Science, could potentially provide a method to protect these vulnerable creatures from the mounting threat posed by global warming. According to the study, it might be possible to save threatened coral populations by allowing them to spread their genes across oceans, particularly to areas that are likely to become hotter in future. "Corals already have the genetic variance to adapt to changing temperature," Mikhail Matz, an associate professor at the University of Texas at Austin and a co-author of the study, told the New York Times. "It's just a matter of transporting these mutations from hot locations to locations that will be hot very soon because of global warming."

C'bbean poised to be next hotbed for renewables, says IRENA official
A senior official of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) said Wednesday that the agency is convinced of the potential that renewables present for sustainable development for Small Island Developing States (SIDS) including those in the Caribbean. Director of the IRENA Knowledge, Policy and Finance Centre, Henning Wuester, said renewable energy is abundant, scalable and replicable and every SIDS has indigenous renewable energy resources that can be harnessed and integrated in the domestic energy mix. "As renewable energy technologies have matured, costs have come down impressively, and they continue to fall (so) for many islands renewables are now the most cost-effective energy solution," Wuester told a conference here on Island Energy Transitions. "In addition, renewable energy development generates jobs -- so far 7.7 million worldwide -- and it enhances local value creation. Shifting from diesel to renewables for power generation will yield major cost savings, and it is possible to integrate a higher and higher share of renewables reliably into the power grid.

Celebrity Realty Update: Leonardo DiCaprio Builds a Multimillion Dollar Eco-Resort
Oscar-nominated Hollywood actor Leonardo DiCaprio is planning to heal an island. He announced ;ast Friday that he is now building a multimillion dollar eco-tourism resort that will be open in public by 2018. The resort would have a name of "Blackadore Caye: A Restorative Island". After his scuba diving trip in Belize in 2005, he bought this beautiful 104-acre Belizean island for $1.75 million with Jeff Gram, the owner of Cayo Espanto Island Resort, which is also a luxury vacation spot nearby. According to NY Times, DicCaprio said while speaking on the telephone from Los Angeles, that the island was like heaven on earth, and almost immediately, he found this opportunity to purchase an island there. NY Times added, that the "Blackadore Caye" is a 45-minute boat ride from Philip S. W. Goldson International Airport in Belize City and a 15-minute boat ride from the nearest big town, San Pedro. Based on the statement of Juan Rovalo, the biologist who leads a team of scientists studying the caye, the island has been used for hundreds of years.

CARICOM rejects EU's tax haven blacklisting
The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) issued a statement on Thursday to "strongly" oppose a recent blacklisting of its members as "non-cooperative" tax jurisdictions by the European Union (EU). The list published last week named 14 Caribbean states and territories, including Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Grenada, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Kitts & Nevis, Anguilla, Bermuda, and British Virgin Islands, among 30 worst tax havens in the world. The list drew immediate fires from several Caribbean leaders and the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). They criticized it as unjust and groundless. In Thursday's statement, the CARICOM condemned the EU's decision as "patently false," considering "the continued efforts made by member states to comply with the onerous and unilateral regulatory measures put forward by the OECD which sets international standards on tax cooperation."

Caribbean integrity commissions form new Commonwealth body to fight corruption
National authorities from 12 Commonwealth countries in the Caribbean have joined forces to establish a new regional body to enhance transparency and help fight corruption. The Association of Integrity Commissions and Anti-Corruption Bodies in the Commonwealth Caribbean was formed at an international conference convened by the Commonwealth Secretariat in Grenada and hosted by the Integrity Commission of Grenada. It was launched at the first Commonwealth regional conference for heads of integrity commissions and anti-corruption bodies in the Caribbean, taking place between 22-26 June 2015, and inaugurated by Dame Cecile La Grenade, the governor-general of Grenada, and Dr Keith Mitchell, the prime minister of Grenada. The association, made up of the heads of national commissions, will help Caribbean countries to cooperate across borders, exchange best practices and develop regional anti-corruption initiatives.

Videos

• Chelsie + Robert, 2min. Ceremony Wedding Highlights Setting: Belize Beach Wedding Venue: Grand Caribe Belize Resort

• The "Out and About " TV show, 24min. Join TV's first adventurer, Mark Fleming, for Marlin at Walker's Cay in the Bahamas. Take a ride with Alaska's bush pilots. Mark also visits the tropical paradise of Belize for record size snook. This program was seen on CBS, NBC, Travel Channel, to over 200 million TV homes.

• Dive Belize, 2.5min. short video of the diving in Belize around the Turneffe Islands

• I Belize I can Fly........, 2min. P2V+ over the Blue Hole...

• Belize, 3.5min.

• Honeymoon in Belize - #HolleyAdventures, 8min.