The news will be a bit brief for the next week or so due to time constraints

FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Rays of Belize
Belizean waters are home to countless species of marine wildlife. Among the most common are our graceful rays. Popular dive and snorkel destinations off the coast of Ambergris Caye such as Shark Ray Alley and Hol Chan Marine Reserve boasts these beauties in abundance. A trip to any of these reserves give you the opportunity to not only see, but also swim among these critters in their natural habitat. There are thee main species of rays you can look out for when snorkeling, diving, or maybe just walking along the beach or pier. They are the Southern Stingrays, Spotted Eagle Rays, and Manta Rays. Belize is such a melting pot of cultures, and this even transcends to our marine critters! Just ask anyone about the Southern Rays and Nurse Sharks! But don't take our word for it, see for yourself with a trip to Shark Ray Alley. These gentle rays are best buds with nurse sharks! Southern Rays are also often seen in shallow waters,meaning a simple stroll along the beach can almost guarantee you the chance of spotting the large rays catching some sun and grazing on plankton right near the shoreline.

Wolfe's Woofer: Blind Date
"Do you know who would make a great couple?" Sherry asked. "No; I don't," I replied, "but I'll bet you're going to tell me." She ignored my remark and said, "I just found out that Vince and Linda have never met even though both of them have lived on Ambergris Caye for several years." "That's [�]

New Horizon SDA School Health Club Students Host Health Fair
Submitted by Peace Corp Volunteer Diana Sanchez On June 24th the Health Club at New Horizon SDA School held their first ever, school wide Health Fair. The Health Fair was free to the students and a lot of fun. The Health Club got its start with a collaboration between the Ministry of Health, the Quality [�]

Doctor Love: Marriage
Readers, please send your letters. They can be emails, formal letters or handwritten notes. They are edited solely for grammar and spelling. Also, they are sometimes edited for length. Dear Doctor Love, I have been married for two years and I am getting unhappier all of the time. Me and my husband are always fighting [�]

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

The People of My Mayan Village Exhibit
The People of My Mayan Village art exhibit is currently at the Benque HoC. They had the opening ceremony on Friday, and they got video of most of the paintings. There's some beautiful, and cultural, art there. Thanks go out to the Mexican Embassy for bringing this here. "The People of my Mayan Village Travelling Exhibitions is now at the Benque House of Culture, stop by and appreciate these beautiful masterpieces courtesy of the Mexican Embassy in Belize."

Rotaract 2015 Induction
The Rotaract Club of San Ignacio had their 2015 Induction, and it was a grand event. Best of luck to the incoming team! In related news, the Rotaract Club of Benque Viejo had their induction last week. Change the world! "Rotaract San Ignacio starts a new Rotary year with the theme 'Be a Gift to the World.' Guest Speaker Mr.Joe Awe, past Rotaractor gave an enlightening speech to motivate our young professional to continue working. This new Rotary year introducing our new Rotaract President: Manuel Matus, Vice-President: Carlos Waight, Treasurer: Anwar Juan, Secretary: Jiselle Awe. These are the highlights of the night that took place at San Ignacio Hotel. New Inductee and New Directors. International Director: Abbie Godoy, PR Director: Louie Godoy, Club Service: Ledell Lemoth, Professional Development: Yasel Acosta, Fundraising and Community Service: Jorge Ruiz. We thank the Rotaract Club of Benque Viejo and Rotaract Club Belmopan for attending, clubs looking forward in working together. We encourage others to join and Be a Gift to the World."

The Reporter

GOB too nonchelant about the economy, says BCCI
The Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry (BCCI) is calling on the Government of Belize to take international warnings about the economy more seriously. This past week BCCI President, Arturo Vasquez, speaking on the latest warning by the International firm Moody's that Belize needs fiscal policy amendments, said that GOB needs to consider the international implications of that kind of warning. "They should not be looked at and thrown aside", Vasquez said. "I want to think that since these Moody's reports are internationally read and reviewed, it can have a significant effect on your foreign direct investments." Vasquez added that while he respects that GOB may have a different opinion on the country's economic outlook, dismissing the reports is not an advisable stance to take.

Catholic Diocese breaks away
The Catholic Diocese has dissented from the Council of Churches' decision to support the PetroCaribe Loans Act. Senator Representing the Churches, Fr. Noel Leslie, issued a release this week saying that while he votes as instructed by the Council, the Diocese does not support the Act and wants it repealed. "I am on record as having opposed the PetroCaribe Loans Act 2015 on Monday the 30th of March 2015," Leslie said. "The Bishop of Belize and Belmopan, His Excellency Dorrick Wright, joins me in calling for a repeal of the PetroCaribe Loans Act and its amendments." Leslie added that the Diocese is also calling on the Government of Belize to return to adhering to the principles outlined in the Finance and Audit Reform Act 2005. The Senate voted on and approved the Act on July 1. The majority of the senators voted yes with the exception of Opposition Senators Lisa Shoman, Patrick Andrews and Anthony Sylvester, along with Business Senator, Mark Lizarraga and temporary Union Senator, Adelaida Guerra all cast a "no" vote for the amendments, and it.

"Belize supports reparations", says PM
Prime Minister Dean Barrow, this past week, affirmed government's support for the Caribbean Community ( CARICOM)'s push for reparations for slavery from Europe. "There is a CARICOM initiative to seek reparations , and as a member of CARICOM we support that", Barrow said. He added that if Belize is prepared to sign on to a convention, if one arises from the 36th Meeting of the CARICOM Heads of Government. Prime Minister of Barbados, Freundel Stuart, prior to the conference, said that reparations was definitely on the list of topics to discuss. Stuart underscored that the heads of government need to strategise how they will engage in meaningful discussions with the former slave-owning states. "What we want is to discuss a way forward in terms of development of this region", Stuart said, "in the context of under-development which has resulted from slavery itself."

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Jerome Smith shot in Belize City
Belize City Police responded to reports of a shooting incident at Buttonwood Bay Park at around 10:10 p.m on Friday, July 3rd, where they saw Jerome Smith, a resident of the Buttonwood Bay Area, Belize City, sitting on top of bleachers and bleeding from what appeared to be gunshot wounds. [�]

Couple shot in Belize City; boyfriend dies
A young couple was socializing on Friday night in Belize City when they came under attack from gunfire. On Saturday, July 4, 21 year old David Steven Reveres of La Croix Boulevard died in hospital, while his 16 year old girlfriend, Shannalyn Augustine of Alvarez Street, sustained injuries from which [�]

Belize City man stabbed while sleeping
A Belize City man received an unpleasant surprise on waking up early on Friday morning. According to Craig Street resident Albert Leiva, Sr., he had gone to sleep around 2:00 in the morning on June 3. About an hour later, he awoke to extreme headache and dizziness. Upon sitting up [�]

Police detain older man in Juana Cardinez death
Police have detained a 55 year old man of Punta Gorda Town pending investigation into the death of Juana Alberta Cowo Cardinez, 29. Cardinez's body was discovered by police around 7:15 Friday morning on the bedroom floor in her apartment at the corner of King and Jose Maria Nunez Streets [�]

Man gets electrocuted in Spanish Lookout
Information reaching our newsroom is that an employee of Farmers Light Plant Corporation LTD in Spanish Lookout got electrocuted yesterday afternoon while he was working on an electric power plant. According to our sources, the man is in a critical condition in Flores, Peten and will mostly likely be flown [�]

Blogs

Caves and Waterfalls With Mystic River Resort and Not Just Any Caves - ATM!
Travelling in Belize doesn't take much�a pair of shorts or two�multiples changes of shirts, some flip-flops and bug spray, numerous bandanas for just about every reason and�voile. Ready to roll. But I was headed out to Cayo�the jungle. And I knew one of the most popular tours at Mystic River was the ATM Cave. THE ATM CAVE! Better throw in an old pair of sneakers. But�UGH�I was scared. One of the top 10 caves in the world. One of the most talked about tours in Belize (rivaled MAYBE by the Great Blue Hole). A sacrificial site that can only be reached with a 40 minute (flat) hike and then a mile hike/climb/swim underground to see the Crystal Maiden. When you go in, you will see why. It is absolutely amazing�you honestly CAN NOT BELIEVE you should be in there. Take a few steps�look down and there is a bone or a piece of pottery.

International Sourcesizz

Belizean sustainable fisher receives award
Since she was seven years old, Anna Ramirez, now 63, has been fishing with her family off the coast of Belize's southernmost district - Toledo, but her gender has not stopped her from working just as hard as the men do while at sea. Her most challenging moments have involved braving the rough seas, even under the threat of hurricanes, to ensure they make it to shore safely. "It's not easy. You have to be brave and willing to take chances - big chances too!" she said. "The same way a man could fish, you can. The same way they drive an engine, you could do it too. The same way they could throw a net, you could throw a net!" Anna says. "It's the way they raised me," she later explained. Mrs. Ramirez has three brothers and seven sisters, and like her brothers-Carlos, Daniel, Eugenio-she took up fishing for a living. She is the daughter of Francisco Castellanos and Petrona Flores, who once lived on several islands off the coast of southern Belize, including Punta Ycacos, Punta Negra and Wilson Caye.

Videos

• Feeding Jaguars at the Belize Zoo, 5min.

• Belize summer 2015, 5min. Summer Trip to the Belize Summer 2015.

• A Taste of My Belize Adventure, 2min. VERY AMAZING.

• San Mateo Belize, 5min. 9 year old filmmaker Gigi Harris shares the difficult living conditions in San Mateo, Belize. This film won 1st place in category Documentary, Division II, at the 2010 Reel Spirit Young Filmmakers Showcase, the Youth Division of Kansas City Film Fest. This film also earned a "REEL Inspiration Award for Making a Difference".

• Welcome to Belize, 6min.

• Tikal e Belize, 13min. Nessa edi��o irei mostrar as Ru�nas Maias de Tikal e as bel�ssimas praias caribenhas de Belize, especificamente na Ilha de Caue Cauker.