FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Montreal-based students conduct Summer Camp on Ambergris Caye, Belize
A group of four students from Montreal, Canada are on Ambergris Caye hosting a summer camp for local children of San Pedro Town. The summer camp was facilitated by Matachica Resort and Spa located on northern Ambergris Caye and was the vision of 17 year old Nicholas Lighter. The summer camp, which is in its second week, will run for a total of four weeks (through the end of July). According to Lighter, he sought help from three of his friends: Eric Drymer, Max Rabin-Oveitch, and Jonathan Garfinkle, all from Montreal. The four students had one thing in common - all wanted to do something positive during the summer - and so they decided that a Children's camp in Belize would be good. "I was thinking about what to do this summer. In Montreal there are a lot of opportunities to work at different summer camps as well as in the United States and other parts of Canada. I wanted to do something different and I spoke to my father. He owns Matachica Resort on Ambergris Caye and so I was discussing it with him. He told me that he has seen, over his years here during the summer, kids walking around not making any use of their time. We thought that a camp would be very useful for the kids. This will allow them to have something to do over summer. My dad thought I would be a perfect candidate to make the camp happen because I have friends who were also looking for something to do. With help of my friends and the assistance of the staff at Matachica Resort, we arranged the camp." In addition to his Canadian friends, Ismael Figueroa of San Pedro Town is also assisting him.

San Pedro Traffic Department fully equipped with radios
As of Thursday July 11th, the San Pedro Traffic Department is now fully equipped with six handheld radios. The donation was made by the Area Representative and Minister of Tourism and Culture Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr. through the San Pedro Town Council (SPTC). Heredia explained to The San Pedro Sun that he was approached by the SPTC with the request. "It is a contribution made to the San Pedro Town Council through my ministry so that they can enhance the services provided by the traffic department. I was informed that they wanted to improve their communication access, not only within the traffic department but also with the police. I will also be making a similar donation to the San Pedro Police Formation and this will enable a more efficient way of communicating between the two entities," said Heredia. The radios are standard Motorola handheld rechargeable battery communication radios. Present during the short handing over ceremony was Chris Nu�ez, Senior Traffic Supervisor for Ambergris Caye. Nu�ez said that the traffic department is grateful for the donation. "We had only four hand radios and some of our traffic wardens were without a radio while on duty. With this donation, all of our traffic wardens will be fully equipped with handheld communication radios. In addition, through a special radio channel, we will be able to improve our communication with the police. These will help us share information not only within our department but with our local police," said Nunez.

Misc Belizean Sources

Free Software Summit at SHJC
Sacred Heart Junior College is hosting this year's Central American Free Software Summit. It started yesterday, and finishes tomorrow evening. They are covering a wide spectrum of applications that are free. SHJC is getting great use from the new auditorium. Pictures of the progress of phase 3 are coming soon. "Free Software Summit hosted at Sacred Heart Junior College"

Innovation Center's First Class
Feel good news of the day. The Innovation Center started their first class, an Intro to Computers class, last week. Well done! In related news, their Intro to Excel classes start Monday, the 15th, and they also go for 4 weeks. "What we do is a short demonstration of things that can be done with each program, then let them discover, experiment, find out how things work. The 'undo' button is the magical tool enabling them to try things and go back if it does not look right. We don't interfere or tell them what is right and wrong, just answer their questions and point them in the right direction. They help each other too, one discovers and they share."

Midas Hosts BIFF
Midas Resort will the hosting the Cayo edition of the Belize International Film Festival last night. They'll be showing The Candidate and Her. After the movie, they'll have an all white pool party. You can see the complete list of films they'll be showing this weekend at http://www.belizefilmfestival.com/ The BIFF has a really smooth video out for this year's festivities.

Flor de la Feria 2013 Pageant Pictures
Here is the definitive album for the Seniorita Flor de la Feria pageant. Congratulations again to all contestants for doing their best, and having such a well orchestrated event. Orquidea Negra and Pablo Collado were there too. D Russell Photography captured it all, and the pictures are crisp and clear. It's as if he was on the stage too. Danielli Gutierrez is the new Flor de la Feria 2013.

CTV3

Team Jaguars Will Play In Honour Of Danny And His Family
But as they say, the game must go on, and while Jimenez prepares for the worst, Belize's national team who is just hours away from confronting Costa Rica in the...

Educating Cane Farmers For A better Sugar Industry
Have you heard the slogan, education is the key to success? Many educational facilities can relate to it since it directly impacts the attitude, practices, and motivation of those who...

Corozal Police Increase Routine Patrol
Crime statistics released in early July show that for the first half of 2013 the District of Corozal recorded 27 burglaries and a spate of robberies, that's, not including those...

Tacos Vendors Robbed Early Friday Morning
Early this morning two tacos vendors from Orange Walk Town were robbed by a ruthless criminal. At around 6:00pm, Neri Madera and her aunt opened their tacos stand located on...

Woodrow West Will Play Against Costa Rica
After they suffered a great lost against team USA in the first round of the Gold Cup on Tuesday in Portland, players of team Jaguars are ready to get on...

But BSCFA Says "We Will Not Fall Under Pressure"
Apparently, the problem between the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association and the group headed by Teck, won't go away anytime soon. Today when we spoke to BSCFA's Chairman of the...

Renegotiation Of BSCFA/BSI Sugar Purchasing Agreement In Jeopardy
The Committee of Management of the Belize Sugar Cane Farmers Association is presently at odds with some of its directors and branch chairmen. The relationship between both parties has taken...

Team Jaguar's Danny Jimenez Returns Home To Be With His Ailing Mother
At 3:20 this afternoon one of Team Jaguars six forwards, Danny Jimenez, landed at the Philip Goldson International Airport on a United Airlines Flight from Salt Lake City Utah. Jimenez...

Caye Caulker Chronicles

Summer Splash Bash - New Village Council On The Roll
The Caye Caulker Village Council has begun their work and activities are now on the way of happening! Their first planned activity is scheduled for August 3rd and 4th with the Summer Splash Bash which is being organized by the Events and Culture Committee. The Council members have become organized by forming committees and each member to be head of their respective department and to be responsible to obtain members from the community to work hand in hand on all activities being planned. The members are urging the community to become involved and offer your time and support because only with the support of the community can they move forward and become the council you want them to be. If you would like to join any of the committees, here are the persons you should contact: Events and Culture - Tracie Young Health Committee - Raul Young Sports Committee - Ralph Humes and Julian 'Neno' Rosado Environmental and Traffic - Ilda Marin Education and Social Issues - Enelda 'Miss Neldy' Rosado

Blogs

Giant Jam Fundraiser for Drummer Dan's Family last night at Legends Burger house
Legends has always been well known for it's Jam night, fun atmosphere and and tasty burgers. Last night Legends Burger House was hosting a Drummer Dan fundraiser to help Dan's family. If anyone knows what it means for a family in need to have a strong support system it's charity minded owner Kevin Dahl. In addition to our fantastic island Island musicians, Kevin recruited couple of musicians from the East coast have wanted to come down and check out the music scene. They were glad to come down and lend a helping hand for a very worthy cause. Here are pics of Sunday Jam Drummer Dan memorial, Crazy Canucks, Exotic Caye Resort

Catamaran Sailing to Caye Caulker: My Number One Trip from Ambergris Caye
I have been on so so many catamaran sails from Ambergris Caye to Caye Caulker. I absolute love them and it's my most recommended trip. All my favorite things are combined: lounging in the sun, eating and drinking of a beautiful catamaran, two snorkel stops to San Pedro's top sites (Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley) and two hours on the very welcoming and very photogenic island of Caye Caulker. You will definitely see turtles, tons of fish, coral and sharks. You might see giant turtles or a giant turtle sea rescue. You could see dolphins or a manatee. You might end up fishing outside the reef and having your catch eaten by a hammerhead shark. Every one of my 25+ trips has been different.

Belize joins the fight against Fish Laundering
Fish laundering? Just when you think you've heard it all� But it turns out that fish laundering not only exists, but is major global problem with massive environmental and economic consequences. And - here's the good news - Belize has been commended for taking measures against the practice. According to "The Fish Site" a fishing industry website, the Environmental Justice Foundation (EJF) "strongly supports" a recent decision by the Belize Fisheries Department to put a moratorium on unmonitored transhipments of fish at sea for Belize-flagged vessels, effective immediately. It's a complicated issue, but briefly, there is a huge black market in Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) or 'pirate' fishing, which is not only damaging to the environment, but the global economy as well.

"One Piece at a Time" in Ambergris Caye, Belize
Had a bit of a lie-in yesterday and didn't get up until just before 6 am. This late get-up for me was caused in no small part by Jason Stalham and Jet Li. Why them you may well ask. Well, because I inexplicably sat up until nearly 2 am watching a film that they appeared in called War. Crap storyline but I am an absolute glutton (some may say a cretin) for films with violence in and especially martial arts ( I just love the choreography). Even though I had got up so 'late' I still went through my usual routine. Coffee on the veranda with my iPad and The Times on-line for in depth reporting on the current Ashes match (for non UK readers this is a historical cricket test match series played between Australia and England which started in 1882). After showering, dressing and having breakfast I still wasn't inclined to do a great deal (one of the pluses of being retired) so I took my book (even though it is an enjoyable read I am determined to finish the damn thing now) to the beach in front of the condo we are renting whilst our build in Ambergris Caye, Belize is taking place and enjoyed some leisure time.

International Sources

Follow the Frog
Follow the Frog was nominated for a People's Voice Webby! You don't have to go to the ends of the Earth to save the rainforest. Just Follow the Frog! What's behind the green frog seal? Only farms that meet rigorous sustainability criteria earn the right to use the Rainforest Alliance Certified seal. These criteria address all of the three pillars of sustainability -- environmental protection, social equity and economic viability -- and farms are evaluated by independent, third-party auditors.

Costa Rica beats Belize 1-0 in Gold Cup
Costa Rica advanced to the CONCACAF Gold Cup quarterfinals, beating Belize 1-0 Saturday on an own goal by Dalton Eiley in the 49th minute. Costa Rica extended its shutout streak to 704 minutes with the win, which assured the Ticos of playing their quarterfinal in Baltimore on July 21. Costa Rica (2-0) plays the United States (2-0) on Tuesday at East Hartford, Conn., in a match that will determine the Group C winner. The Ticos have one loss in their last 17 matches, a 1-0 defeat to the U.S. in a World Cup qualifier played during a Colorado snowstorm in March. Belize (0-2) lost its opener 6-1 to the U.S. on Tuesday, and its players reported to soccer officials that they had been approached by a match-fixer before that game.

Gold Cup: Own goal dooms Belize against Costa Rica
The crowd wasn't what Alvaro Saborio is used to, but the outcome had to feel familiar. Real Salt Lake's all-time leading scorer captained his Costa Rican national team to a 1-0 win over Belize in front of an ever-dwindling crowd at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday afternoon. "It was not an easy game for us," said Costa Rica coach Jorge Luis Pinto. "It's not like people were saying that Belize doesn't know how to play. They're a very good team. They gave us a lot of hard time." Costa Rica struggled to break down a Belize side that gave up six goals to the United States last week. Instead, it was Belize that inflicted the most damage on itself. In the 50th minute, defender Dalton Eiley attempted to clear a cross headed for Saborio in front of the goal. Instead, Eiley directed the ball past goalkeeper Woodrow West before falling to the ground in disbelief.