FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7 and Channel 5
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe's Woofers: First Confession
"Hey, Dennis. I'll be ready in a few minutes." "Take your time Steve," I said. "I'll gladly wait." My friend Steve had offered me a ride in his car from Belmopan to Belize City. I hate riding the bus so I was looking forward to the trip. "We have to make one stop," Steve said. [...]

Doctor Love: Best Friends
Readers, please send your letters. They can be emails, formal letters or handwritten notes. They are edited solely for grammar and spelling. Also, they are sometimes edited for length. Dear Doctor Love, My best friend has a terrible habit of going off on a subject until it drives me crazy to have to listen to [...]

Misc Belizean Sources

Benque Viejo Art Fiesta
Pictures from the Benque Art Fiesta celebrating the duocennial anniversary of the Benque House of Culture.

SI United Start Season
The SI United hosted the Freedom Fighters yesterday at Broaster Stadium, at 3:30pm. They had some live music for halftime. The Premier League of Belize has posted this season's schedule on their page. Go, United! "San Ignacio United host their first match of the 2013/14 season at home this Sunday VS 'P.G. Paradise/Freedom Fighter'!!"

Blogs

Belize Charge d' Affaires Now Ambassador To Taiwan
The China Post, a Taiwanese English language daily has recently reported that Cherie Minette Nisbet, Belize's former charge d'affaires at the Embassy of Belize in Taiwan, has been promoted to the post of ambassador to Taiwan. The post reported that Nisbet presented a certified copy of a letter of credence to Foreign Minister David Lin on Sept. 16. The announcement was made by Florencia Hsieh, deputy director-general of MOFA's Department of Latin American and Caribbean Affairs. Hsieh also said that Ms. Nisbet will soon present the official letter of credence to President Ma Ying-jeou to officially assume the post of ambassador to the R.O.C.

International Sources

Los Cumbancheros come to town
Cumbancha (Afro-Cuban slang for "an impromptu gathering or party," which sounds very close to the Trini lime) launched with Watina, an album which has since been voted "the Best World Music album of all time." Watina brought together the Belizean Garifuna spokesman, cultural activist and former Punta Rock star Andy Palacio and the multi-generational Garifuna Collective on an album originally produced by the Belizean arranger/musician/Stonetree Records founder Ivan Duran. The project was close to Edgar's heart-reviving Caribbean folkloric and roots music by using modern arrangements, traditional as well as electric instrumentation to take the music "in new creative directions." Edgar had been captivated by the music of the Garifuna (Black Caribs exiled from St Vincent by the British in 1797, who subsequently settled on the coast of Honduras, Belize and Ecuador) when researching in Costa Rica. He licensed songs from Andy Palacio for Putumayo after hearing him on tour in Canada. He laughingly admits to playing conch shell on Watina, which he exclusively licensed from Stonetree, to give it the benefit of the marketing and distribution his Putumayo/Cumbancha networks offered.

New Report Explores Seven of the World's Best Islands for Good-Value Living
"If you want to 'get away from it all,' tropical-island style, there may be no place better in Belize to do it than Caye Caulker, says Internationalliving.com editor Glynna Prentice. This five-mile-long island-only half of which is really inhabited-sits in dream-worthy, turquoise Caribbean waters." The ocean is visible from almost every place on the island, the sun glinting off the waves. With its laid-back style, Caye Caulker gets its share of young, active tourists. But it appeals to older expats, too. They come for its simple lifestyle, stunning views, and for still-affordable seaside real estate. (A small one-bedroom, one-bath condo with a rooftop terrace and sunset views is for sale now for $150,000.)

Caribbean buoyed by UK sales resurgence
New resorts, extra flight capacity and interest in lesser-known islands is fuelling a resurgence in sales to the Caribbean. Carol Hay, the Caribbean Tourism Organisation's marketing director for the UK and Europe, said 2013 was already looking more positive than last year, when sales declined due to rising APD and the weak UK economy. Seven new resorts are due to open across the Caribbean, and Hay said demand was growing for off-the-beaten-track destinations such as Montserrat, Curacao, Belize and Puerto Rico. "This reveals the Caribbean has a wide potential customer base that includes not only families and honeymooners, but 'wanderlusters' and adventure seekers too," she added.