FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3
Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Just a few more pictures of the Miss San Pedro 2015 Pageant...
Miss Congeniality: Ethel Villatoro ~ Miss Photogenic: Iris Salguero ~ Bella San Pedrana (a separate title given by Hotel Los Cocos in Chetumal, Quintana Roo, Mexico): Brianna Hope Leslie First Runner-Up: Velie Alexis Williams ~~ Miss San Pedro 2015-2016: Iris Salguero Judges for this year's event were: OJ Elrington, Monica Gallardo, Leonardo Melendez, Miriam Abdul and Cara Thomas.

Izzy's Smoothie & Juice Bar
Cool off with a delicious array of fresh fruit smoothies, juices and shakes at Izzy's Smoothie & Juice Bar. Located on the junction of Pescador Drive and St, it's impossible to miss the little juice shack that's serves up the cold concoctions. Choose from fresh fruit ingredients such as papaya, pineapple, melon, mango and more or build your own beverage by choosing a combination of your favorites!

Wolfe's Woofer: The Marriage Limit
"Melody came by while you were downtown," Sherry said. "She said something about a wedding and will you watch Davin for her." "Ah," I said. "The Grandpa Child Care service. Oh, well. What is it that Melody always says about it?" "She says that if you didn't want to look after your grandchildren you should never have become a grandfather." After lunch Melody came over. "We're going to a wedding," she said. "Glen and I want to stay for the reception but we don't need a nine year-old hanging around there getting into trouble." "I'll take care of him," I said.

Police Report
Found Property: *On Saturday, August 22nd at 6PM, acting on San Pedro Special Branch Intelligence, Caye Caulker Police retrieved a black plastic bag containing a shoe box from a water taxi cargo section in Caye Caulker Village. When the box was opened, police found two parcels wrapped in black plastic and transparent tape which contained suspected Cannabis. Drug Trafficking: *On Thursday, August 20th at 3PM, acting on Special Branch Intelligence, a team of Special Branch and Criminal Investigation Branch personnel visited the vegetable shop of Ernildo Estrada and Lydia Gonzalez located on Laguna Drive, Boca del Rio Area to conduct searches for illegal drugs. The search led to the discovery of black plastic bag containing 109.9 grams of Cannabis which was hidden behind a stereo system.

Doctor Love: Bad Marriages and Bad Drivers
Dr-LoveDear Doctor Love, I am divorced after my third marriage. My first husband was an abuser. My second husband was an alcoholic. The third was an abuser, an alcoholic and a criminal. The longest of these marriages was two and a half years. The smart thing I have done is that I only have one child and she is not by any of these three men. Each time I have gotten divorced it has been a messy, drawn out process where I have to go to court and file all kinds of papers. Now I have met a man that I think might be the one I have been looking for. He is talking about marriage but the idea scares me. I am thinking about moving in with him instead of getting married. Then I could leave whenever I wanted to. Would I be better off to live with him instead of being married to him? /s/ Tired Of This

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Letter: People's National Party of Belize condemns presence of military on political station
Dear Sir: The People's National Party notes with grave concern the appearance of Admiral Borland and Commandant Jones on UDP owned radio and TV station Wave. The appearance of these two gentlemen along with Minister of National Security John Saldivar on Wave can only be construed as using the military, which serves the entire nation, not just the UDP government, for political ends. An important line has been crossed, one which should never be crossed again. Surrounded as we are by countries that have experienced in the recent past, or currently suffer the evils of military dictatorship, we Belizeans are right to be extremely angry that it seems that here in Belize the military are now being used for political ends.

BTL Entrepreneurial Challenge
BTL has teamed up with BELTRAIDE to have the 1st Entrepreneurial Challenge. If you have a great idea for a new or different business, you could win $10,000 for starting it.

Calla Creek Community Center Facelift
4 the World, along with many volunteers, repaired and painted the Calla Creek Community Center. Looks great! Thanks, 4 the World! "The community center at Calla Creek Village has a new look with Quetzal Green paint thanks to our partner S.O.S volunteers from Canada and all the 4 the World volunteers from the village!"

The Reporter

Chikungunya-like symptoms surface in Corozal
The Ministry of Health is investigating four suspected cases of Chikungunya (Chik-V) In the Corozal district. On Friday the Corozal Town Hospital revealed that it was treating several persons with symptoms of the virus. All the cases originated in the Altamira area, Corozal Town. The ministry's Vector Control Unit is trying to determine if the infected persons travelled outside of Belize recently, where they might have contracted the potentially deadly flu. As a precautionary measure, the ministry has initiated a clean-up campaign with the Corozal Town Council of breeding areas for mosquitoes.

PUP holds meetings with concerned 11
The People's United Party (PUP) is holding meetings with the 11 of its standard bearers who have raised concerns over the party's leadership and who have requested for a national convention that would challenge Francis Fonseca as leader. On Thursday, representations from both sides were presented, but while the party is willing to consider holding the national convention, it is not prepared to agree to their request to challenge Fonseca's leadership. Deputy leader, Julius Espat told The Reporter following the meeting that the discussion was positive and that they "agreed on most items. We should conclude by next week. Very productive meeting." One of the 11 members told us us that the party has indicated that Fonseca's leadership will not be challenged because of their belief that generals elections will be called early. But they feel that they should have been consulted in order yo arrive at a conclusion - a process that the party claims not only happened, but at a meeting of all executive members and standard bearers this year, there was a unanimous vote (Including the 11) for Fonseca as leader.

Russell Hyde and woman killed in ambush
Well-known Roaring Creek resident, Russell Hyde Sr., whose common-law wife was shot and killed in a vehicle he was driving on the George Price Highway in May, was shot and killed on Friday night. Hyde was reportedly heading to his farm in Camalote Village, Cayo along with Marcy Humes when a group of gunmen ambushed them and opened fire on them. Hyde was hit several times, died at the scene. He had been targeted numerous times and had also been accused of a number of offences. Police have no suspects in connection with these latest killings. Several members of his family were killed in 2015 alone, and earlier this month, his nephew Brian Hyde, was arrested and charged in Florida for e triple murder of his aunt, her daughter and son-in-law.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Kareem Clarke Memorial Fund donates to St. Joseph feeding program
Members of the local press braved the hot Saturday sun to collect goods for donation to the St. Joseph R.C. School Feeding Program, run by the St. Vincent de Paul Society. They did it in honor of the late Kareem Clarke, 27, gunned down late at night in [�]

Corozal uncovers cases of Chikungunya
Chikungunya or Chik V, as it is commonly called, is a vector borne disease that is transmitted by the Aedes Aegypti mosquito and made its first appearance in Belize in November of last year, when a case was reported in the Las Flores area of Belmopan. Chik V had seemingly [�]

Man and woman killed in double homicide in Camalote Village
We have received reports that Russel Hyde and Marcy Humes were the two victims of the double homicide that happened in Camalote Village, Cayo District last night. According to reports, Hyde and Humes were en-route to their farm when they were ambushed by a group of gunmen in an area [�]

How the crisis in Guatemala affects Belize
The political scandal involving Guatemalan government officials involved in corrupt activities has reached a fever pitch as thousands of Guatemalan took to the streets on Thursday morning to demand the resignation of President Otto Perez Molina, but the controversy in that country may also have effects on Belize. Molina has [�]

Blogs

September Celebrations in Belize
September is a great time to be in Belize. It's the tourism off-season, which means cheaper prices on accommodations/ tours, and you can also partake in the festive September Celebrations. The most important date is September 21 - Belize's Independence Day, but there are many festivities throughout the country for almost two weeks leading up to the national holiday. In early Belize history, the country was under Spanish rule, but Spain did not actually control the area due to a belief that it did not have sufficient resources to gain the country's full attention. Spain allowed British settlers into the area, and the British eventually gained a large presence. During the Battle of St. George's Caye, the Spanish and British fought for about a week in September 1798, and this essentially led to British rule of the country. The British held control over the area until it was granted self-government in 1964, and it was renamed Belize from British Honduras in 1973. Belize finally attained independence on 21 of September 1981. Each year during September, Belizeans celebrate their independence in a number of ways.

International Sourcesizz

The 5 Best Countries to Retire In
Retirement can bring thoughts of relocation. We might move to be nearer our children, or to enjoy a lower cost of living in a smaller home, perhaps in a different town or state. Consider thinking out of the box a little, though, as you might want to relocate to a different country! Keep reading, to learn about the best countries to retire in and about why you might or might not want to move to one of them. (NYSE: HRB ) Pros and cons of retiring in a different country The biggest advantage of retiring in a foreign country, for most people, will be a lower cost of living, often enhanced by lower taxes. That can be a big deal if your retirement nest egg and your expected Social Security income seem insufficient to support you in your desired lifestyle. Some countries, such as Switzerland, are actually costlier places to live than the U.S., but many others will seem quite a bargain. Among low-cost countries you might consider Ecuador, Nicaragua, Vietnam, Thailand, and Belize.

Investigations into corruption in Guatemala
Investigations into corruption in Guatemala have expanded to the highest levels of government as President Otto P�rez Molina and his former Vice President Roxana Baldetti were named on Friday as the head of "La Linea," a criminal structure that has been robbing an unknown amount -- but what could amount to hundreds of millions of dollars -- from the State. Baldetti, who resigned on May 8, is in police custody, and will face prosecution for criminal conspiracy, customs fraud and accepting bribes. Guatemala's top court also approved a process to repeal the president's immunity from prosecution, and the matter now awaits a decision from the congress. These investigations have spurred massive and sustained protests calling for the president's resignation and represent a historic opportunity to bring about meaningful reform in a moment when the nation is on the verge of institutional collapse. With unprecedented momentum building to address unbridled government corruption and impunity, the biggest impediment to successful reform may be the September 6 elections.

Videos

• Coyu-Belize(Riva Starr Remix), 7min.

• Belize Musicians Past And Present Turnt Up!!!!!, 26min. Berne appears live on Belize Musicians Past And Present with Tony Wright and JC Arzu.

• Belize Ultimate Exclusive Jungle Adventure, 69min.

• Xunantunich | Ancient Maya Archaeological Site | Western Belize | Belize City | Central America, 2min. Xunantunich is an Ancient Maya archaeological site in western Belize, about 80 miles (130 km) west of Belize City, in the Cayo District. Xunantunich is located atop a ridge above the Mopan River, well within sight of the Guatemala border - which is a mere 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) to the west. It served as a Maya civic ceremonial center in the Late and Terminal Classic periods to the Belize Valley region. At this time, when the region was at its peak, nearly 200,000 people lived in Belize.

• JAH ART - BIG UP (BELIZE) 2015, 4min. ARTIST: JAH ART DIRECTED BY LB SIGNATURE SONG TITLE: BIG UP

• Day 2 Belize Trip 2015, 20min. My wonderful trip to Belize 2015.

• one year in Belize, 5min. Here is a short video capturing a small bit of the joys of serving in Belize for one year.