FOR TODAY'S BELIZE WEATHER, CLICK HERE

Click for our Daily Tropical Weather Report.

Specials and Events

Last night's TV news on Channel 7, Channel 5, LOVETV, PGTV, West Vision (Cayo) and CTV 3. Also with the most recent Open Your Eyes, Rise and Shine Morning Show, and the Dickie Bradley Specials

The San Pedro Sun

Wolfe's Woofer: A Small Bunny Rabbit
Dennis-Wolfe-Wolfes-Woofers"Are you going to Belize City tomorrow?" Sherry asked. "Yes. I have to pick up some parts for my vehicle." "Why don't you just buy them at one of the golf cart shops here in San Pedro?" "Because no one sells parts for my John Deere Gator out here. I have to go to the city and I may even have to go to Spanish Lookout. Why were you wondering if I'm going? Did you need something?" "I don't really need it," she said, "but I hear they have a pet store now and they have some bulldog pups. Just check them out for me." "Sure."

Assault and Robbery at Sea
On Wednesday, January 13th, the Caribbean Safety and Security Net (CSSN) reported that a vessel visiting Middle Long Caye in the Turneffe Atoll was invaded, robbed, and a female guest sexually assaulted. The report is quite shocking, especially since Police did not report the incident immediately. If it wasn't for the CSSN public report, the incident would have probably gone under the radar. With news of the incident now out, Belize police have finally addressed the incident. The CSSN report stated that an unidentified vessel came alongside the anchored visiting boat, while everyone aboard was asleep. "Four men in 20-30 age range came aboard, each armed with a pistol. One female guest was sexually assaulted, and later treated at the local hospital. Cash, camera, computers, food, drinks, jewelry, and an outboard motor were stolen. The launch left at high speed in a southwesterly direction. The entire event lasted about 45 minutes, and was reported to the Police, Coast Guard, Port Captain and marina," said CSSN's report.

Doctor Love
Dear Doctor Love, My husband is an older man who has a good friend that he has known for years. The friend used to be married but he has been divorced now for about fifteen years. I have good friend who recently moved back to Belize after living in the U.S. for a long time. These two friends of ours met and started seeing each other and are talking of getting married. I could not figure out how this happened because he is twenty-five years older than her and I know how she is. When I asked her about it she confessed that she really does like him but is really with him because he has money. She figures that he has to leave the money to someone and it might as well be her. I was shocked to hear her admit this. It has really made me look at her differently. I haven't even mentioned it to my husband but I feel I should do something. What can I do? /s/ Fair Play

Ambergris Today

Giant wall cloud creeps up behind Ambergris Caye last night
Anybody else see this last night? I went out about 1am to see how cold it was and saw this large wall cloud stretched across the horizon to the back part of the island. Looked ominous and cool at the same time. Wish I could have gotten a better pano pic.

Misc Belizean Sourcesmzz

Letter to the Editor: How Ambergris Caye has progressed
1848: On Ambergris Caye there were four (4) families of fishermen. Soon there were 30 houses with 50 people. This was PROGRESSS. 1950: Jim Currie brought the first tourists; more PROGRESS. 1965: First hotel; Holiday Hotel owned and run by the Grief family. PROGRESS. 1976: Coral Beach Hotel opened the first dive shop. PROGRESS continues. 1998: My first dive trip here and evacuated for Hurricane Mitch. My PROGRESS (got me to come back) but setback for island. 2000: Return trip - PROGRESS. 2003: After eight (8) trips I made the permanent move; real PROGRESS. 2004: Bought & occupied condo across the cut with access via pull ferry and sandy cart paths that changed as needed by condition controlled by rain and runoff. PROGRESS continues.

Some banks in Belize are ripping off poor Belizeans
By Wellington C. Ramo. In the year 2011, I made a visit to my homeland country Belize to attend one of my brother's funeral. During my stay at home I went to the Bank of Nova Scotia to open a bank account. My intentions were just to have an account to make deposits and do other banking transactions from the United States. One year after I opened the account, I was getting ready to wire some money into the account to increase my checking and savings balances. I then called the bank from the United States and I was told by a representative that my account was frozen. I asked the person what I must do to lift the freeze on my account. The person said that I will have to come back in person to the bank in order to solve the problem. On December 20 last year I was anxious to go to this bank and get this matter resolved. I met a bank representative who told me that she will have to research the account because it has been frozen for four years. After the conclusion of her investigation, she said to me that I do not have any money left in the account from the original deposit of $400 that I made.

Caye Caulker cleanup
So happy to have the Garbage Warriors (now renamed the Trashy Ladies!) back in town. We made a huge dent on the Second Dump, I mean, the road to the south which has been covered with trash since the Fall storms. Tourists walk this trail to see the beauty of Caye Caulker nature and lately it has not been so beautiful! Thanks ladies! We'll tackle the rest soon. Take a stroll down and enjoy the beauty of the shoreline! Before and after photos below.

BTIA January Meeting
The Cayo chapter of the Belize Tourism Industry Association had their January meeting. Javier Paredez represented the Belize Tourism Board, and gave an outstanding presentation on Hotel and Tour Operator licensing.

The Reporter

PM responds to Mike Espat's query over GoB's support for Port project
At Friday's House meeting in Belmopan, Toledo East Area Representative, Mike Espat questioned the reasoning behind the government's latest show of support for the Port Loyola Cruise port project. Espat, in raising the matter, referred to a study which he said showed the project would not be viable or environmentally sound for that location. He also questioned the potential investor, Michael Ashcroft, with whom the Barrow administration had had legal feuds before over BTL, and was left having to find millions of dollars to settle the re-nationalization of that company. "The Prime Minister had a big fight with Michael Ashcroft, with investment, took away B.T.L., had to pay millions of dollars that the Belizean people have to pay back, and now I understand the Prime Minister, in his speech, said they will now go back and they will study the Port of Belize project, along with who - with Michael Ashcroft? So what kind of game is going on here with the government and Michael Ashcroft? We know the study that was done at the Port of Belize, and the advice that they got. They are saying that this project is not feasible for that area, and yet we are going back again to study the same thing all over again," Espat questioned.

Mexican ambassador: "Mexico has not shown any increases in carrot exports to Belize "
Mexico has not shown any increases in carrot exports to Belize recently, says Mexico's Ambassador to Belize, Carlos Quesnel Melendez. This is despite the plight of local carrot farmers, who have had to dispose of their carrots because of what they say is an overflow of imported Mexican carrots, which claim is approved by the government. The carrot farmers, mainly from the Orange Walk District, say they have had to dump around 70 percent of their carrots because import permits, granted by the government to select importers, have caused an over-flooding of carrots at the markets. The Government has denied that claim, saying it does grant import permits for carrots, but only when the local supply does not meet the demands.

Breaking Belize NewsPJ

Mainly fair weather conditions will prevail the next couple of days
The National Meteorological Service of Belize is predicting mainly fair and cool weather with little or no rainfall. Winds will be blowing from the North-Northeast at 5-15 knots and the sea state will be light chop to choppy. High temperatures today are expected around [�]

Maya Mountain Adventure Challenge 2016 coming soon
The four day competition that is an adventurer's dream, the Maya Mountain Adventure Challenge, kicks off for 2016 on February 20th when groups of four will begin racing through the Belizean Jungles, mountain biking, trekking, orienteering, canoeing, rappelling and spelunking, from Cahal Pech Resort [�]

Roaring Creek man charged for 5 grams of weed
Around 2:30 yesterday afternoon, a search at the residence of Roaring Creek resident, Silvestro Alejandro Chiac, resulted in his arrest and he was charged for 'possession of controlled drugs'. Belmopan Police along with a Canine Unit, working on information received, visited a two story [�]

Melida Pereira Crowned San Pedro Carnaval Queen 2016
The third annual Mrs. Reina del Carnaval took place last night at the R. Angel Nunez Auditorium. Out of the five contestants that participated in the event, Melida Pereira walked away with the coveted title of Carnaval Queen of San Pedro Town, followed by [�]

Blogs

Corn Atole
Using a sharp knife, carefully cut enough kernels off the corn cobs to make 3 to 3 1/2 cups. Then scrape the cobs with a knife to remove all their milk. Place 2 1/2 cups of the corn in a blender along with 2 cups of the water and puree well. Strain the pureed corn through a sieve into a medium saucepan and discard the solids. Stir in the remaining corn kernels, 1/3 cup sugar and salt. Bring the liquid to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, or until lightly thickened. If the atol doesn't thicken to a creamy consistency, mix the cornstarch with a little cold water and whisk into the simmering liquid until it is just thick enough to coat a spoon.

Pork Sholder in Pressure Cooker and Pickled Onions
HEAT oil in a pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Add the meat in batches; cook it for 4 min. or until it is brown. Put all the meat in the pressure cooker; add juice mixture over it. CLOSE the pressure cooker tightly. Cook meat over medium-high heat until the pressure gauge is in place and the rotary valve begins to vibrate gently. Reduce heat to maintain a slow gradual and consistent rotational movement; 55 min cooking time for meat. Remove from heat; let stand 10 min. or until the pressure gauge drops. Meanwhile, put the onions in a pot with boiling water and cook for 5 min.

Johnny Cakes
1. Calienta el horno a 400 F/ 205 C. 2. Coloque la harina, sal, polvo de hornear y la manteca en un bol. 3. Con puntas de los dedos frote la margarina y la mezcla de harina juntos (como al hacer galletas, la harina y la grasa deben formar pan de miga como grumos). 4. A�adir la leche de coco poco a poco a la mezcla de harina y trabaja con las manos hasta formar una masa.

Creole Bun
Proof your yeast with a little bit of sugar and warm water. When it proofs, combine the coconut milk to make 2/3 cups liquid. Poor into the combined dry ingredients and knead to a nice soft dough. Let it rise till double in size. Knock down and let rise again. Shape into two loaves and bake preheated oven till nice and brown.

Cocoon Lobster Dip
In a medium bowl, mix together lobster meat, onion, lemon juice, cream cheese, butter and celery. Continue mixing until smooth. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until serving.

Altun Ha Mayan Ruins
Among outstanding features of this former ceremonial center frequented by wealthy, powerful Mayans are two main plazas and 13 structures including the Temple of Masonry Altars. If engineering impresses you, check out the Maya-constructed water reservoir where crocodiles hang out these days. Once a project that provided settlement water, you may wonder how rain collected here instead of leaching or leaking away. Engineers used yellow clay to seal the ground so water couldn't escape-yet another testament to Mayan ingenuity. Among outstanding features of this former ceremonial center frequented by wealthy, powerful Mayans are two main plazas and 13 structures including the Temple of Masonry Altars. If engineering impresses you, check out the Maya-constructed water reservoir where crocodiles hang out these days. Once a project that provided settlement water, you may wonder how rain collected here instead of leaching or leaking away. Engineers used yellow clay to seal the ground so water couldn't escape-yet another testament to Mayan ingenuity. Altun Ha is situated 31 miles north of Belize City along the Old Northern Highway and about 6 miles west of the Caribbean Sea shoreline. If you drive, travel half an hour past Sandhill Village and two miles down Rockstone Pond Road toward the reserve. This two miles isn't paved, so prepare for a bumpy ride.

International Sourcesizz

Belize Community Development Information Session
Join Dr. Jensen on Wednesday, Jan. 27, from 3:30-4:30 p.m. in KIMP 207 and learn about University of Arkansas' Community Development Program in Belize! This unique program is an international service learning project for 6 credit hours in Belize during Summer Session 1. University of Arkansas faculty project leaders will instruct students in a practicum in their specific fields of study where they have the opportunity to consult with community partners to prepare and develop the projects that will take place each summer in Dangriga and throughout the year and implement service learning projects during the first UA summer session in the community of Dangriga, a city of about 10,000 on the Caribbean coast. Culturally and linguistically, the city is a fascinating mixture of Creoles, Mestizos, and Mayans, though it is dominated by the Garifunas, a Caribbean people descended from African slaves and indigenous groups, with English being the official language. Projects are currently being planned for Business, Engineering, Agriculture, Literacy and Health Professions. All projects will be open to students from all majors who will be looking for elective credit in the humanities.

Fresh concerns raised over Leonardo DiCaprio's eco-resort
The eco-resort described by Leonardo DiCaprio as "groundbreaking in the environmental movement" is drawing concerns from local residents. The 104-acre Blackadore Caye off the coast of Belize, purchased by the 41-year-old "Revenant" star in 2005, was announced last April as the future site of a world class sustainable resort. "With the onset of climate change, there are huge challenges, so we want the structure to not only enhance and improve the environment, but to be a model for the future," DiCaprio told the NY Times. "That includes restoring the island, creating conservation areas where we can hold research conferences, and regenerating the entire ecosystem to bring it back to its original form and beyond." Tentatively titled "Blackadore Caye: A Restorative Island," the resort will feature a variety of guest villas atop an arc-shaped platform on the water, as well as luxury estate homes built with sustainable and local materials. Renewable energy, electric vehicles, and innovative water and waste treatments systems (among many other green highlights) will also be integrated.

Coffee-Shop Dreams on a Tropical Island
I am happy. I don't worry about car insurance, driving for hours, or traffic. I don't have to put on a pair of heels and a business suit. Flip-flops and a great pair of shorts or sundress are my normal attire now," says Marlene Houghton, who owns Marbucks, her dream coffee shop on the island of Ambergris Caye, Belize.

English-Speaking Havens Around the World
When you move abroad, it's an adjustment. It's a new culture, a new lifestyle, new customs, and new ways of doing things. But one way to ease your transition is to settle in a place where you don't have to learn a new language, too.

Videos

• Belize Trip 2016 Highlight Video, 5min. unBELIZEable trip! better belize it!

• Our trip to Mexico and Belize 2015, 5min. We were reminiscing on the 3 weeks we spent in Mexico and Belize last year; snorkling, a cenote, swimming with sharks, going in caves, and rescuing puppies, so I thought I'd put together some of the videos of us to be able to look back on the trip easier

• Blue Tang of Belize, 4.5min. An educational video about the Atlantic Blue Tang, Acanthurus coeruleus. Film taken from my study abroad trip to Belize. Not all pictures are mine.

• Belize 2015, 3min. Belize was an amazing vacation. We saw Mayan ruins, deep caves, and coral reefs in Caye Caulker.

• Belize humming bird in Rain, 1min. Made from still photos in southern Belize in January 2016.

• Belize 2016, 6min. A short video summarizing a study tour I attended in Caye Caulker Belize, over winter break. I am so thankful for this experience, as I have met a group of life long friends. Thank you to all of the wonderful beings who made this trip so special. I will forever hold each and every one of you close to my heart, and I will always cherish the memories we created together in Belize. Go slow, my friends!

• Belize part 1, 6min.

• Belize part 2, 2min.

• Belize part 3, 5min.

• Lamanai Ruins in Belize, 61min. Megalith Research explored the ancient ruins of Lamanai. Arguably one of the best ruins in all of the Yucatan region.