Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
OP Offline
R
My kids are grown and my wife (soon to be ex) is on her own. I'm retired US military. I 'm making a good living plus my military retirement, but would rather start over, make new friends and live off my military retirement. If anyone has any ideas please email me at [email protected].

Thanks,
Mike

Not sure of any ideas except to say that probably 95% of us on this board would love to be retired and living in Belize right now. Good luck to you, hope you find what you're looking for! Head down there for a little vacation, check it out, and you'll see why we all love it so much (if you haven't already)!

I'm here retired/comatosed in San Pedro. My usual suggestion is to come on down here for a prolonged visit. The Hideaway Hotel has reseasonable long term rates, and you will have the advantage of meeting a good assortment of folks, from locals to ex-pat's and even some Texans. I have been coming down here since 1985 and have had lots of help along the way. Vacation is one thing, living here is another. Its not for everybody, but for me,its a dream come true to live here on a semi-permanent basis. I'm still weening myself from my St Louis roots, but can see that my ties will eventually be broken incremently. The nice thing about San Pedro is that if you get a case of "island fever", you can always go to the mainland and experience a "central american" Belize. Here on the Cayes, it's definately a Carribean Envirnoment. Good luck and I hope you can process all the input that your about too get. Bill

Gone fishing!!
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks Bill. What are living expenses like there at the hotel. I'm a country boy from rural Missouri (Macon). The Stl Rams are looking good this year again. They may do it.

Thanks,
Mike

Come on down and check it out. You won't regret it even if you decide this place is not for you.
Go Patriots!!!!!

Jim
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks, What is the night life and social atmosphere like down there. Good food, good drinks, good people and good times?

rm photo art wrote
Thanks, What is the night life and social atmosphere like down there. Good food, good drinks, good people and good times?
NO, NO, NO, NO!

Great food (cheap), let Choochoo tell you about the drinks, wonderful people - the very best anyplace - and you can have the time of your life - it's what you make it.

People are not putting you on when they say "Come on down and look us over."

You will love it or not. Tomorrow I will write why I fell in love with Belize.

Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
R
R
Mike, I finished high school in Moberly in '61. I've have 12 years living in the caribe, as the others say, come down and start real slow, go on local economy and life style for 6 months to a year before you make the big decision to break ties in the states. I started life over down here, it's been over 5 years since I've been back to the states, some people can do it, some cannot. Let me know if you want some questions answered, most of my answers will apply to Belize as well as Mexico where I live now.

Good Luck

Rocio

[This message has been edited by Rocio (edited 12-28-2001).]

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for your responses, I didn't expect such propt replies. I guess from everyones advice I should take a trial run first. I have been spoiled here in Colorado. Very low humidity. In the middle of the winter at 6,000 to 10,000 feet you can ski in shorts and T-shirt. I will have to become to acclimated. I was in Missouri this last summer and the heat and humidity really slowed me down. What is the best time of year to visit? I have always been active in something. Are there things for one to do and stay busy even without a work permit? How much money should be set aside for say three to six months? How should it be handled? Travelers checks, exchange to Belize dollars, and deposit in a local account? How does everyone else handle it? Where is the best place to stay?

[This message has been edited by rmphotoart (edited 12-29-2001).]

Dear rmphotoart---

Answer to some of your questions...

We went to Belize in '98 for the 1st time and fell in love... We now have property and as we speak, our house is being built!!!

You need to take a trip down and do your research.... This is a must!!!

We did 2 years of reseach before we bought our property and 3 years before we signed with a contractor...

We will be on the island soon... Heaven!!!

To us there is really no bad time to visit the island, we usually go down in Mar/April and in Oct/Nov...

There is so much to do there or on the mainland.. It would take you 3 or more life times to see and explore all of Belize!!!

As far as monies put aside, it just depends on where and what you spend it on!!!

You can open a local bank account but you need all your info. from you bank, or have a friend!!

For an extended stay and for the cost, I would agree with Bill... The Hideaway is the best!!!!!!!

Email us if you need anything else...
[email protected]

Thanks, Rick

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.